How does the LM2101 mower perform on St. Augustine grass in South Florida summer rains

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I can't seem to find a direct answer to this question so apologies if it has been asked before.

Does the LM2101 mower cope with mowing South Florida St. Augustine grass in the summer rainy season?

Thanks,
Steve
Photo of Steve Hiller

Steve Hiller

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Paul Simonds

Paul Simonds

• 376 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
from OCALA FLORIDA it worked very well,in my yard.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
first hand experience - much more useful
Photo of Howard Hoffman

Howard Hoffman

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I nice luscious, green thick yard, all depends how high you let it go in between cuts. If your cutting 7 to 10 days during the growing season. I don’t mulch, I bag because of the shade I have, afraid of fungus. I upgraded my blade to the high lift blade, money well spent. I have some thick areas in my yard, the mower gets into mower mode to handle it, awesome technology. I have The LM2100SP, 56 volt 7.5 AH it cuts great. My self propelled speed Control was stuck in the fast mode. Found the variable control switch contacts corroded due to the humidity here in Florida. Ordered a new switch from Ego and solder it in myself, of course this was covered under the warranty 5 year warranty, but a 4 to 6 week turnaround. I submitted my repair and a application of some liquid electrical tape to Ego with pictures and they was impressed with the repair. St Augustine the mower will have know problem.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If performs very well. But in the humid and moist when the grass is wet, it will dull the blade rather quickly. The dull blade will affect performance in battery life. Keep your blade sharpened you will love it.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,974 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Especially when the grass gets tall, I recommend the high-lift blade so no stringers are left behind, causing you to have to mow it twice.
Photo of John

John

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Is the high lift blade only available for the 21" mower? All I could find for the 20" was the standard blade.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

That is correct.  There is a 20" HL blade available in EU but not North America.
You may be able to get it thru Mower Magic if you REALLY want it.

https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/EGO-AB2001-High-Lift-Lawnmower-Blade-EGAB2001.html#SID=5613
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Hiller

Steve Hiller

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I see in the "sharpening the blade" video that sharpening twice per mowing season is recommended -- think this also applies to mowing St Augustine grass? Also, it's not clear if the high-lift blade can be used successfully in mulching mode -- any experiences there?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

You are going to get a wide range of answers to both those questions.

Personally, sharpening twice per year works good for me and my blue grass fescue mix and the HL does not mulch well.

Others will give answers that are quite different.

Thus, I would tell you it varies based on grass type and expectations.  You should see what works best for you.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 49,424 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
sharpening every other cut will give you MUCH better results.  That 5 minutes of your time sharpening the blade can make a world of difference in many aspects of the power.  Florida is humid and the grass is usually nicely saturated.  Thus, will dull the blade quickly.  If you have a small yard, 15 minutes to cut, you are probably fine once a month sharpening.  My yard takes about 45 minutes and the blade is mostly dull when finished.  This is Centipede grass which is pretty thick at times during the summer growing months.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,974 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
So I think with the two answers here, it depends on how much you mow and what you're mowing -- what kind of grass, how much stuff is your mower mulching, so on and so forth.  Since I am a pro lawn guy, I mow a hell of a lot, and I sharpen the blade the moment I see a drop in cut quality, which I always inspect.
Photo of Steve Hiller

Steve Hiller

How many times can this trap be used to catch ghosts?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

LOL - good call
Photo of docj

docj

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I live in South TX and use the mower on a very small Floratam (a St. Augustine variant) lawn which is lush and thick.  The mower has no difficulty with it, but from reading the comments of others I guess I'll have to start sharpening it!  My mowing takes <30 minutes and the battery has >50% charge left when I'm done (using the 7.5Ah battery)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.