How do I get the blades of my mower to cut the grass?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

The battery is charged and installed.  The mower runs great.  Only problem is that it isn't cutting the grass.  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks!
Photo of Robin D

Robin D

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Could you possibly upload a video of what you are doing, and we can troubleshoot your situation?
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Is the blade motor spinning? Also. Is the blade upside down? Is the blade torqued down?
Is it the self propelled 21" model?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Blade still cuts (just not well) if upside down.

Let's not discuss why I know this.
Photo of Robin D

Robin D

I do have the self-propelled 21" model.  I just got it and did nothing to the blade.  Does it come installed and ready to use?  I did nothing to the blade, so it shouldn't be upside down.  I saw nothing in the manual that said I needed to do anything to the blade.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Robin, in the manual under the Troubleshooting section, here is what I found regarding your issue with the mower (see the chart below).  That said; here are some questions I have for you:

1. How long have you had this mower?
  2. Where did you buy this mower from (HD or Amazon)?
  3. Did you recently take the blade "off" to sharpen it?
  4. Is this the "very first" time you cut your lawn with this mower?
According to the chart below, if the mower is not "cutting" the grass, then the blade is not tightened to the required torque.  See if you can re-tighten the blade to the "recommended" torque outlined below

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Turn the blade by hand. Does it spin freely from the bolt or does the bolt rotate also.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If the mower in question is the self-propelled 21-inch, is it possible the drive motor will run but the blade motor won't if the handles aren't extended all the way and the clips aren't engaged? I thought I read someone here having that problem once before, but I may be misremembering.
Photo of Robin D

Robin D

The blade is not spinning freely.  The bold rotates with it.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

You still haven't told us which mower you're talking about. That would help us narrow down the problem.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It was stated that its the 21" sp mower
Two days ago bought the mower and it won't cut
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Stephanie, we'd love to help but we're going to need more details about what you're experiencing, including which mower you have.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Push the green button in, then pull the bail handle back. I assume you have the self propelled model.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,672 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If the manual didn't come with your lawn mower, you can go on Ego's website and download the manual and see how to operate your lawn mower.
Photo of Jason Catone

Jason Catone

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Are you keeping the center button pressed while engaging the blades? Trying to be overly clear because I had this issue and I was just pressing the center button and then trying to engage the blades but you have to continue to hold the button down while pulling the lever to engage blades. Once blades are going you can let go of the center button.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The blades and propulsion turn on separately. Are you sure that the blade motor is running?

For the blade to spin the handle must be fully extended and set in one of the 3 operating positions. Press and hold the safety key down while pulling the full bar (not the smaller self propel trigger). You should hear the blade spin up without the mower moving.

There have been several reports of new users running just the self propel motor without the blade running. The blade is much louder, but if you've never heard it before then I guess it isn't obvious.
Photo of Robin D

Robin D

ok.  I am rather short, so I didn't full extend the mower handle.  I will try that.  I probably have not heard the blade motor.  Thanks very much.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

That would be your problem then. The handles have to be pulled out all the way and the locking clamps fully engaged for the blade motor to run. You'll see lines on the mower handles when they're extended all the way.
Photo of Robin D

Robin D

I just tried this.  I briefly heard a motor, but then there briefly was a flashing orange light on my battery case and the motor stopped.  The mower still moves, so it doesn't seem to mean that I need to charge my battery.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Your clamps aren't fully clamped. Start it and pull it backwards. If it shuts down while going backwards then that would be odd. The handles all of the way out. Clamps clamped. Try this
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Robin, this sounds like what my mower does if I try to start it up while in the grass. Did you try starting it on the driveway or sidewalk, or pushing down on the handle to lift the deck and blade out of the grass while starting it?

If the mower encounters resistance while trying to spin up to speed it will flash and shut down.
Photo of Lorraine

Lorraine

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is exactly what is happening to me with my brand new self-propelled mower...everything seems to work, but mower doesn't mow....any help, please?  Have tried everything I see above....
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Make sure you follow this video first. Then let us know if it is better or not.
Follow these steps exactly.

https://youtu.be/VLvONHvGizg
Photo of Rachel Kramer

Rachel Kramer

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having a similar problem. The battery is fully charged and the self-propelling motor can function, but the blades don't want to spin.  If I tip the mower up and spin the blade by hand, then when I try to turn the mower on it will work until it touches any grass whatsoever - even if I hold the blades off the grass for more than enough time for them to "get up to speed."  When working, the green indicator light comes on, but as soon as the blades touch grass the light goes off and the motor powers down.

Any suggestions?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just to verify. When the blade does power up and you put the mower onto the grass you are still holding the bale closed? Meaning you haven't let go of the bale? 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Make sure the handle is firmly extended before locking it into place. If that doesn’t work let us know. :-)
Photo of Rachel Kramer

Rachel Kramer

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for offering some help!  Yes, I was still holding the bale closed.  After reading the previous parts of this comment thread, when I went back outside, I noticed that one of the handle clips had come undone when I was mowing close to a large bush.  Once I clipped that back in place, all was well again!  My bad!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,258 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for coming back to this Rachel. Glad you got it figured out.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.