How do I determine charge levels in my batteries for storage?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I read somewhere in the instructions that the "ideal" charge state of an EGO battery is between 30% - 50% during long term storage, such as over the winter. Problem is - the batteries don't have a fuel gauge, my standard charger doesn't have a fuel gauge, and none of my tools have a fuel gauge. Besides I would rather have a fuel gauge rather than waiting for the battery to conk out during a task with a tool. I own two of the 2.5 AH batteries.

*** Pardon me in advance as I'm sure this question has been asked before me. I just couldn't find the thread. 
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,554 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,086 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
A great question Frank, and the "short" answer is the Rapid Charger has the light indicator for 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% charge indicator.  Outside of that, there is nothing else that is "currently" available.  This has been requested by many users on the community board, and hopefully, EGO will incorporate a fuel gauge in the near future with all their batteries and tools ... :-)

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,210 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Also, for long term storage the batteries are all programmed to discharge to 30% after they sit unused for 30 days.  So, Ego has you covered there.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Thanks szwoopp! Did not know that.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Thanks David for the speedy response! And yes, I knew the Rapid Charger has that feature - but I don't own or want one. I'd rather see fuel gauge on the individual battery, to see what needs to be charged at a glance. I guess the weirdness is that EGO recommends a specific charge state for storage, but offers no way to actually measure it without buying the Rapid Charger. 
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,084 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I am in agreement here as well!  That said; there was an engineer on this board about 12 months ago - he modified his Standard Charger to include a fuel gauge (see link below) - good weekend reading or experiment if you dare ... :-)

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/how-to-add-a-digital-volt-meter-to-the-charger

(Edited)
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Thank you. Very interesting. The link about monitoring battery health are also worth reading. Especially older batteries, or batteries that were purchased used. No, I'm not ambitious enough to cut holes in my chargers and void warranty.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,084 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Me neither, but there are days when I wish I was MacGyver.  For now, we have to wait for this to come out - hopefully soon ... :-)
Photo of Nick can't be blank

Nick can't be blank

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You can use a voltmeter/multimeter to read the voltage directly from the outside two of the four slots of the battery.  Discharge/charge until it reads 51.8V (3.7V per cell)...that's 50%.  It's a tight fit because the slots are so narrow but it works.

Weird to see the battery will self-discharge to 30% on its own.  That's a little too low in my opinion.  But that's preferable to leaving a battery in a full state for prolonged periods.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

Thanks, I understand that technically would work, maybe not very convenient or elegant and I doubt EGO wants people poking probes through the vent holes. Agree it does seem weird to kick into auto discharge at the 30 day point!! .