How bad is it to keep running the battery when flashing red?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Iv'e been using these ego products for the latter part of the mowing/ fall season and as with anything I always try to get as much run time out of each battery as possible. I have seen the backpack blower cut off while on turbo due to a flashing red light (less than 15% left) but work for a few more minutes on high or medium blowing settings. Is this detrimental to the battery? If so, should we even run the equipment when we see a red light or should be simply pop it on the charger at that point. Thanks for the input!
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,108 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Due to the length of the warranty, EGO has to do their best to try and keep the batteries lasting for at least the length of the warranty period. As such; they have built in safe limits that will allow the battery to reliable work furing this time frame. The reason you can get more time at a low power level is due to less voltage sag which will keep you out of the low voltage cutoff.

tl;dr run em dry. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed. Run them until they don't run no more.

The only thing I'd be concerned about is running them down completely and then letting them sit for a long time before charging. This could potentially drain the cells below their limit. No issue running them down as long as they get at least a partial charge back into them shortly after.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.