Home Depot Warranty Repair

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

My 20" EGO mower suddenly stopped after 2 seasons of use.  Took it to the Home Depot I purchased it at on July 24th of this year.  Called the Home Deport repair center today, September 13th, at 855.284.3349, to get an update and was informed that it will be 3 more weeks before it will be returned to me. Why does a warranty repair takes over 3 months?  Is this a normal time frame for a warranty repair?
Photo of Greg Hagerman

Greg Hagerman

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Portia Holliday

Portia Holliday

• 456 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
They send them ALL out to Atlanta, GA for repairs.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 59,254 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not actually the case. While not every Home Depot does repairs on site, many do. Therefore, there is no need to send everything to Georgia.
(Edited)
Photo of giggleherz .

giggleherz .

• 1,802 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
What is up with all the needed repairs? I read electric shafts are tougher than a gasoline motor. No one mentions what is wrong exactly just that it died, a few more details would be help-full.
Photo of Portia Holliday

Portia Holliday

• 456 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've had no problems, but when I called HD to inquire they advised me that it takes (4) weeks bc they send it to GA
Photo of Jim Hippen

Jim Hippen

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
There are many factors. Most Home Depots only have one shipment each week to the repair center. If their shipment goes out on Wednesday, and you bring it there on Wednesday evening or Thursday, it must wait until the following week to ship. Once it gets there it must be evaluated to see what needs to be fixed. Then parts must be ordered. Some parts take 2-3 weeks to get to the repair center. Some take even more. Then it must be reassembled, tested, packaged for shipping, and shipped back. Each step adds to the total. Our Home Depot tries to shorten this by repairing EGOs in house. We still have to wait for repair parts. Then, if the parts we install don't fix the problem, we have to order and wait for more. EGOs are quite new, and most Home Depot repair technicians are not trained on their care and keeping. Thus the need to send them away. We hope the problems get worked out, Because when they work, they are great machines.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,274 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the insight, Jim!!!
Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,456 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
It takes that long because they don't give a sh*t after you've paid a ton of money for the product. I'm still waiting on rear gears and a friend of mine has had his in a local repair agent for three months waiting for a switch and rear gears. Customer service is absolutely diabolical
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,146 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
"Local repair agent"?
Whats that?
Sounds diabolic! LOL
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,274 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Pete, if your friend has been waiting three months he should be contacting Ego Customer Service and having them escalate his case.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 46,618 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
(Pointing up at Blue), if you haven't what Blue said, you should.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,150 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Why?
Theyre great machines, but their repair chain sucks, obviously.
Sure glad mine hasnt broken and hope it never does cuz i Love this mower, but dread it breaking.
Tho im fully prepared to purchase and return if it does.
So, given that, its an easy workaround.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,150 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That said, IF this was a WIDESPREAD problem...

I'd think/hope Ego would have done *something* about it by now?

Like adding a few more repair stations at various locations?

So, my guess is it aint widespread enough for them to do that.
(Edited)
Photo of Tom Jacques

Tom Jacques

• 804 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
One could alway buy a new unit form the store use it while yours is being repaired and when yours is returned you then return the second one you bought. HD has a 90 day refund policy, no questions asked and you don't even need to keep the factory packaging. Easy peazy.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 46,648 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Tom,

While a person "could" do that, it really becomes an ethical problem.  I'm sort of torn here.  I personally don't think a repair on something electric should take more than 2 weeks.  There is really nothing to these but some wires, switches, control boards and motors.  MUCH easier to repair than gas. 

A large part of the problem goes hand in hand with being the newer kid on the block.  Logistics.  EGO (the mother company Chervon) is a HUGE company, but sometimes with a company this big, the red tape also gets longer.

I hope for 2 things.  EGO branches out from Home Depot, EGO partners up with a better established national service chain and allows all parts for the mowers to be purchased outside of the warranty.

Just some random thoughts.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 149,464 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Amen!
Photo of Amber F.

• 59,496 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We're so pleased you've shared your experience, Greg, because the repair process is not supposed to take that long. Our customer service team is looking into your case right now. 
Photo of Greg Hagerman

Greg Hagerman

Thank you Amber
Photo of Greg Hagerman

Greg Hagerman

I just received a call from EGO.  Because of my mower being out for a warranty repair for so long they are going to send me a new mower as a replacement.  Will post when I receive it.  THANK YOU EGO!
Photo of Amber F.

• 59,254 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to make it right! We apologize for the hassle and wish you nothing but the best in the future with the replacement. Please keep us posted if we can help any further, as well as to how you like the new mower. :-) 
Photo of Greg Hagerman

Greg Hagerman

Received the replacement mower today.  Brand new, in the box with all the accessories.  Thank you EGO for making a bitter experience a good one.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 50,884 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Great news Greg !
Way to go Ego - that is customer service in light of a bad situation.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.