Home Depot Warranty Repair

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

My EGO mower broke down on 9/19/17 while still under warranty. I called EGO and they recommended that I take it to a Home Depot with Tool Rental which I did the same day. After 4 weeks of waiting without hearing anything I called only to find out they had to ship it somewhere in Atlanta and it could be another 4 weeks until I had it back. I called Home Depot again today and while the have diagnosed the problem they are unable to find the parts necessary for repair. On 10/31/17 they escalated my repair status but they are still unsure how much longer it will take. This is an extremely frustrating and inefficient process. If the mower can not be quickly and easily repaired I should receive a replacement. In the meantime my central FL yard is out of control after not being mowed for over 6 weeks and I could be fined by my home owners association. Very disappointed with Home Depot and EGO over this entire process.
Photo of Adam Glover

Adam Glover

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • Angry and Frustrated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Do a search here and you'll find a work around to get you a mower for 90 days. We've discussed this many times.
Photo of Troutboy

Troutboy

• 1,008 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This is ridiculous. Go to Home Depot, buy a new one on a Home Depot credit card, and you have 1 year to return it, use that while you wait for the worst customer repair program in the industry
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That and the warranty is only ever good for the original owner and is not transferable.  I hope you want to keep it when you get it back, as the next person who would own it is out of all luck and won't have the choice to have it repaired for free.
I really really want to like this mower, but these two things are making it hard to come to terms with.
:-(
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Warranties on consumer products are rarely transferable.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

I think that the "Apple" of battery powered lawn mowers/power equipment should use say...Apple as an example. Warranties follow the product not the person. It's not a good excuse really. If they truly believe that their product is amazing. Back it up and do something outside what some believe to be the "industry standard".

If transferable is what is causing the issue.  Than just have the product be registered in the database in general and not to a specific person.  Proof of purchase is still shown/required for registration and Ego will know that based on the original timeframe. I truly wish Ego would step up and change the warranty for past/present/future products.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
On the flip side there is a cost to providing additional warranty coverage and I for one wouldn't be interested in paying more for the equipment to enhance resale value or enable me to purchase used equipment with a warranty.  
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

Is there truly? Does a warranty change due to the fact it’s changed hands? Does a product become more difficult to repair because it has a new owner? I’d be hard pressed to say that little if anything changes at all on the product side. It’s not additional warranty. It’s providing the same warranty no matter who’s using it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,088 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Well you are proposing to cover things currently not covered. That equals additional coverage which means additional costs.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

I can partially understand the point of view there. With a data base that is already set up to keep track of this information. Customer info, products/serial numbers, proof of purchase. The important stuff.
If by covering more - you mean changing a name in a data base or better yet - not putting one in there at all then I’d say the latter change would be less to do rather than more. . Just start with the serial numbers and move forward- now you have a product warranty and not a customer warranty.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
There’s always room for improvement. Voicing your concerns here is a sure fire way to make sure Ego gets the message.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
So rediculous. Sorry to hear this Adam. Hopefully ego will step in and fix this.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Your local Home Depot will likely offer you the ability to use one of the rental mowers or a weed whacker at no charge. Ask them to fill it with gas and oil for you.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,890 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
"...they are unable to find the parts necessary for repair." I don't understand this. Wouldn't Ego provide the parts, or very least, the source of the parts so they can be procured? 
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Adam! We're terribly sorry you've had such a negative experience thus far. Our support team is looking into your case right now and will be contacting you shortly. 
Photo of Adam Glover

Adam Glover

• 96 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sounds great, thanks for looking into this. Hopefully a resolution can be quickly reached. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.