Home Depot Warranty Repair

• Question
  • Updated 16 hours ago
  • Answered
I was directed by customer support last night to take my nonfictional mower to a specific Home Depot for warranty repair. The folks there refused to take it. They suggested another store. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not up for wasting more time on this. I just called Ego twice and got voicemail.
Photo of Will McCutcheon

Will McCutcheon

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • devalued

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ron Edinger

Ron Edinger

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I posted a lengthy article about EGOs the horrible state of their warranty system. Seems to have gotten lost somewhere on their site. Bottom line is that currently my mower has been gone for about 3 months for a warranty repair. Latest news from HD today is that the repair facility ( repair is not done at your local HD store ) is awaiting a part. About 3 years ago with a different EGO mower, but a similar problem, I was without a mower for 2 - 3 months. I have quite a few EGO products. I have two of them that I can still return to HD during the 90 day return policy. Customer support is non-existent, the mower transmission system is problematic, and warranty repair unacceptable. Let me suggest to anyone that if your machine goes in for repair buy a replacement and then return it to HD within the 90 day period. I don't like to approach the problem that way, but in the last 3 years I have been without a mower for 5 months, and counting. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,110 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ron - I had a question and called Ego CS last week - got thru to someone immediately.

I have had nothing but great customer service from Ego.

If your repair goes gets to 4 weeks Ego will get involved.

Per Ego

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per our service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give our support team a call (1-855-346-5656).

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

(Edited)
Photo of Will McCutcheon

Will McCutcheon

szwoopp - I just called twice within 10 minutes. The system directed me to voicemail. It didn't give me the option to wait.

You appear to be very active in this community. Are you compensated for your time?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

nope just been helped here in the past and trying to do the same for others.

Ego is having phone system issues. So, may be best to try first thing in the morning tomorrow to call them
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ron, Ego will get involved if Home Depot's repair time stretches past four weeks. You need to call customer service and get them involved.
Photo of Will McCutcheon

Will McCutcheon

szwoopp - You average around three posts during business hours every day for the last three years to help out folks who just happen to also be customers of a multinational Chinese tool company? Whatever you say, Mr. H. I'll take your advice about the company you don't work for and try calling tomorrow morning. Maybe they can send me to another wrong store.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Will, believe what you want, but none of us champions are paid. We're enthusiastic customers who initially came here looking for help and advice and stuck around. It's like any other online community.

I also participate in a Honda car forum and a drone forum. I don't work for them, either.
Photo of Will McCutcheon

Will McCutcheon

Ken - I was an enthusiastic customer until my mower wouldn't start. A day later I'm on my third phone call to a tool conglomerate who can't seem to give me any assurance that I won't waste another couple of hours tomorrow just getting their multi-billion dollar service contract with another multinational company to work. If I'm lucky enough to get another local HD to accept it, I get to pay someone to mow for me over the next couple of months while my mower sits waiting for 20 minutes of work. Then, let's hope it's actually fixed.

I believe that many Champions are neither employees nor contractors. However, I know what it's like to work for a Chinese company and this is America. There's more to the story than just volunteering time for a multinational corporation with hundreds of brands and billions of revenue from goods manufactured overseas. While choosing words regarding compensation carefully may align with the internal script, it ruins credibility once the truth eventually surfaces.
Photo of Ron Edinger

Ron Edinger

I need to update this. Once I called customer support they were fabulous. I could not be happier with how it was handled once I called. The key is once I called. When I take a car in for warranty work I expect the dealer to keep me informed by e-mail or text. If EGO would provide the customer status tracking page that is accurate and up to date they would spend a lot less time answering calls. I have been unable to get an update without going to the local HD to inquire about the status. Even then the info is hazy. If Amazon can do such a great job of providing updates via their web site EGO should also be able to do it. Kudos to Amber in customer support
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Amber is a gem.  Thanks for posting the update Ron. Glad to hear you got things taken care of.
Photo of Derek

Derek

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is EXACTLY!! my situation and my solution.
I too hate to waste everyone's time and energy, but EGO won't return to me a fixed machine even though it was purchase less than a year ago (when I brought it in)
That was over 4 months ago.
HD is no help "still waiting on parts" is all I get from them.
EGO is even less help since they won't answer the phone or reply to messages left.

the 90 day guarantee is about all that we have as customers.
Photo of kenny Garcia

kenny Garcia

• 772 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
HD should give you your money back ASAP!! Talk with Manager at HD not floor staff. You just have to stay on their butts to get what you need to solve your problem. EGO needs to hire more people. And open more repair stations around the country. After All they are in 65 countries !!!
Photo of Keith

Keith

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same with me. Have multiple EGO yard tools. Mower worked fine until today. Called EGO. Long wait time. No callback. Took it two different HD stores and was met with complete incompetence. Called HD 800 number and they referred me to a local repair center which DOES NOT repair EGO. Expensive investment for it to work only a year with zero backing of the 5 year warranty. Now what?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Call Ego CS first thing in the morning if you can to minimize any wait times.  They do a great job once you get connected.  Ego backs their tools and honors their warranties.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,338 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Why you say zero backing?
Get ahold of Ego, whatever it takes, they do back them
Photo of Keith

Keith

They called me back 5 hours after leaving my phone on their automated system. The solution : you can take it to Home Depot for repair. Problem : both HDs I took it to were completely incompetent on how to repair or even send out EGO items. Both places ‘yeah the guy who handles that is on vacation’. Oh and the EGO rep? Put me on hold for over 10 minutes. I just hung up. Trying again on this early Sunday morning. She also said they have had issues of late with HD stores not giving correct information on warranty claims. I just feel that it’s unacceptable when you tout a 5 year warranty after I spent well over $1k on their items to have zero support. Meanwhile I guess I’ll just buy another EGO mower, use it, and then return it once mine is fixed. I guess this is what they force you to do. That can’t be profitable to have ‘defective’ rentals coming back due to piss poor warranty support.
its not a bad idea... you have 3 months to return a new product, right?
its clearly not very environmental friendly, it feels broken, but it might actually work and fix the problem on your end. also put real pressure on ego to fix their customer service problem.
Photo of Keith

Keith

I ended up talking to Wes with EGO who at least understands the issue. He called my local HD and talked to a guy in service. Gave me an expedited repair guarantee. I go to HD and talked to the exact guy Wes talked to and he said there is only one person who knows how to do an EGO warranty ticket and he’s isn’t in. He says he can’t ship it out. They offer for me to leave it for their supervisor to review. I asked for a receipt of some kind. They said that in order to give me a receipt I would have to pay $20 diagnostic fee. Incredible. I paid it just so I can get the process started and to ensure I had a receipt. To say that this entire warranty process is broken is an understatement. Wes did acknowledge that EGO is working on a loaner program and to improve it. At this point I feel EGO is trying but is limited by HD incompetence and lack of cross training people in their service area on the EGO process. Unfortunately the customer is caught in the middle. I guess I’ll have to purchase a second unit and use it while mine is in the shop. EGO and HD can eat the return once it’s done.
Photo of kenny Garcia

kenny Garcia

I don't know I don't know which state you live in but the process at Home Depot its 2 leave a deposit for $20 it'll be refunded back to your card once you repairs are completed. If the repair takes longer than 3 weeks ask Home Depot to see if they give you a loaner mower for free. The Home Depot in California never had any issues of giving me a free loaner for repairs only. You have to be patient with customer service with ego they're very helpful you just got to go with the flow. You don't have to buy a second unit only if you want to spend that kind of money. Eagles has great support it may take a while but they do what they say they're going to do I know I've done this a few times already. I've been waiting for a battery for two weeks now it's finally coming tomorrow to replace my old battery that's just nature of the Beast with ego
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Keith I think you hit the nail on the head.  Ego CS is stuck in the middle with HD repair problems.
That doesn't let Ego off the hook completely, but I imagine it is not easy dealing with one of the biggest retailers and trying to get them to make improvements.
Sure ego is a big company but nothing like HD and they are more of a manufacturer than a retailer and I bet they were counting on HD to handle the retail and repair end better than they have.
Photo of Keith

Keith

Just an update - EGO has been great in this process. I will walk back my comments related to them at this point. They have been in touch with me daily on updates. HD is by FAR the weak link here. Cluelessness and incompetence are at the forefront of the repair process at HD. EGO confirmed they got my mower on the expedited list and offered a free high lift blade for the issues. We will see how long the repair takes.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Hopefully the repair network will expand beyond HD much as the retail sales have expanded beyond HD to other outlets including Ace hardware recently. Hopefully Ace gets in on the repair end too.
Photo of Gerardo Mora

Gerardo Mora

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ah ... so EGO is aware the the 'status' of our mowers, even though they are at the HD repair facilities?  Maybe I should give EGO a call just to get an update?  It has only been 24 days for me.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Per Ego

Ego recommends contacting them before bringing your tool in for repair to confirm your warranty status and make them aware of the repair.

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per Ego service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give our support team a call (1-855-346-5656). They will get involved

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case.

Photo of David Witte

David Witte

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have always recommended that you take an EGO item to a Home Depot store that has a repair facility instead of taking it back to any Home Depot Store.  Buying the extended warranty has always helped me since not only do you get back 50% of the maintenance items needed but also much better customer service.
Photo of kenny Garcia

kenny Garcia

I'm sorry but I disagree with your statement!! I have extended warranty. This has no bearing on customer service with EGO IMHO!!!
Photo of Keith

Keith

I would love to see how HD honors their own warranty when they can’t deal with a manufacturer warranty.
Photo of Gerardo Mora

Gerardo Mora

So ... I decided to call EGO this morning to get an update.  They tell me that they "just received the mower and it has not been evaluated yet."  Left it at HD on August 31 and the guy working there said it should arrive in Atlanta by September 9 based on his shipment information.  Slow process, indeed.
Photo of Gerardo Mora

Gerardo Mora

They sent me an e-mail for a survey to fill out.  That kept giving me an error when trying to submit.  Sigh.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,322 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Will - I would call the HD location to make sure they have a repair department before driving there.

Only reason I can think that a HD would not accept a tool for repair.  Generally it is the rental department that also handles repairs.

Have not had or heard of this problem.
Photo of Kurt Meyer

Kurt Meyer

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
HD does no repairs in-house, everything gets shipped to a regional or national repair facility. My local HD also was repeatedly incompetent dealing with EGO repairs, but at least the manager tried to be helpful. He seemed overwhelmed by the process. I have had good luck communicating with EGO directly via their national service center, keep trying to reach them and tell them what happened, be persistent as needed. Supposedly they are getting better.

One thing—if you do get HD to accept your mower, be sure to get them to note in the ticket if they keep your battery. My store lost mine.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Some HD will do in house repairs.  Mine fixed my snowblower and got it back to me in just over a week. 
Photo of Ron Edinger

Ron Edinger

FROM EGO: I spoke with the RLC and my supervisor about your case. Due to the wait time on the repair- we will be sending a new replacement mower. Can you please confirm a shipping address for me? Let me know if you have any questions.

I just rcvd the above e-mail from EGO after calling customer support yesterday at around 5 PM eastern. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the follow up Ron.
Good to hear Ego is taking care of things.  They usually do a great job of taking care of their customers. 
Hopefully the repair system can get revamped and provide better service as well.
Photo of Ron Edinger

Ron Edinger

Revamping is definitely required. 
BTW do you know anything about a potential solar panel for the 4 battery power station. Read a rumor once that they would make one.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

That was posted by several of the online tool reviewers.  Expected in 2020 from what I read/saw.  I do not think there has been anything official from Ego, but with several tool review guys saying the same thing I would think there is something to it.
Photo of Gerardo Mora

Gerardo Mora

Hi Ron. It has been over 6 weeks and they are still awaiting for a part to work on my mower.  The lady (Savanah?) at EGO said they are going to send me a new mower.  How long did this process take?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,604 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You need to go to a Home Depot store that has a Rental Department. 
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,336 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
They all do - it's called purchase and return - lol
Photo of Kathleen Wirtz

Kathleen Wirtz

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just returned my mower to the Home Depot because it was thankfully within the 90 days of purchase.  Taking the edger back too.  Not happy with HD as they told me that they had another one and could swap it out but when I got there - they did not have the mower I bought.  Frustrated, I just returned it and got a refund on the purchase.  Not going to buy and EGO again.  
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah, gonna go back to nasty gas-powered products?  Fumes, stink, heat, noise, vibration?   Wow.  Or going to buy inferior brand electric garden equipment?   You are biting your nose to spite your face.  I've got 6 EGO products and have had trouble with just one item.  I bought them from over 3 years ago up to a few months ago.   SP21 Mower, edger, 1/2" hedge trimmer, chain saw, blower (awesome!), 3/4" hedge trimmer, weed wacker.  I've got 7 batteries so I can keep anything I need  going for as long as I'm working with any of those items.

The item that had a problem  was the SP21 mower which was replaced with  a new mower by EGO when HD failed to fix it.  So after 3 years, I'm starting over with a new mower.
(Edited)
Photo of Will McCutcheon

Will McCutcheon

What's your point to Kathleen's post, Dave? Should she should have kept the defective mower, bought another model, or spent several thousand dollars more on battery powered lawn equipment that she doesn't need?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Tell me how much fun it is to use gas powered equipment, Will, or what other brands of cordless equipment is a better choice.    THAT WAS THE POINT OF MY POST.   Sheesh.   Expecting perfection is a fool's errand.
(Edited)
Photo of Kurt Meyer

Kurt Meyer

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I bought a Toro 60V 22" steel deck lawn mower with 6AH battery after my experience with an EGO mower that had a problem in third year of ownership, went in for warranty work which was a complete cluster situation by both EGO and HD, worked poorly after I finally got it back but I didn't want to deal with HD or EGO service anymore, died completely a month after the warranty expired, and EGO support told me tough luck.  

The Toro is great.  It cuts better than the EGO ever did, no contest.  If it ever needs service, the local implement dealer I bought it from is an authorized service center, has employees who know what they are doing, and will be able to fix it and will stand behind their work and their product.

I still have an EGO string trimmer which works fine.  Other than that I'm done with EGO.  I'm still sore enough about it to be motivated to contribute to this forum and share my experience for anybody who might be on the fence about buying an EGO product.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

If you are done with EGO, why are you still posting here?
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,338 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
"I'm still sore enough about it to be motivated to contribute to this forum and share my experience for anybody who might be on the fence about buying an EGO product."

I'm ok with hearing the negatives about HD "repair" service, and it is something everyone needs to be aware of.

It's Ego's Achilles heel.  I love my Ego products, but - dread having to ever send them to Timbuktu for repair (or not).  I wonder if the horror stories about the lousy repair chain have hit the Home Depot reviews yet?

A product is really only as good as it's after purchase service - and on that Ego seems to get an "F".

3 years now I see nothing done on improving that supply chain fault.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I agree that the repair situation is dismal.  However, I like the tools. A lot.  :)
Photo of kenny Garcia

kenny Garcia

EGO takes time to work with you. Just have to be persistent about issue. Customer service friendly never had any issues with EGO Staff.
Photo of Gerardo Mora

Gerardo Mora

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I purchased my 21" self propelled mower in April of 2017.  On August 24 of this year, the self propelled stopped working.  I returned it to the HD on August 31 and have since been told that they don't repair electric mowers at the HD - they return them to manufacturer for the actual work.  I'm hoping to have better luck than some of you.  Other than it breaking, I've been happy with the mower.  One of the reasons I purchased it was because of the warranty (it is an expensive machine for it not to last).  Any suggestions?  Should I just sit back patiently or should I call for updates?  Should i call the HD number or the EGO number?  I agree with the poster above - the EGO number is always voice mail or 'call back', but at least they do call you back (30 minutes) if  you leave a call back number.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

repairs are done at Home Depot facilities--the mowers are shipped out.  find a HD with a Rental Department--that is where u drop off the mower.  expect it to be gone at LEAST a month.   Consider a "rental" unit in the meantime.  Whoever u spoke with that said it goes back to EGO for repair is clueless.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,190 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ego advises that you call their customer service first to determine warranty coverage and be directed to the proper location for repair.

If you live in a metro area with multiple HD nearby I suggest you call them and see if any are willing to try and fix the tool in house.  One near me did and I got my snowblower repaired and returned in just over a week.  A competant and willing repair person is your best friend on this adventure.

Then bring your tool in for repair

per Ego

Not all Home Depots perform the repair on-site, so it is possible they'll be sending your mower out. However, per our service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give our support team a call (1-855-346-5656).

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,352 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm an Ego fan and I love my Ego tools.

But - I decided to look at the HomeDepot reviews a couple nights ago, and their ratings are slipping from what they were when I bought mine, with many of the negatives coming from lack of a decent (or even halfway decent) repair chain.  The others were cut quality, and if Ego were smart, they would include a high lift blade with it.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,862 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The HD repair record is so lame, I would only buy with the HD credit card and automatically get a new mower every 364 days until they get their umm act together.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah, what is meant by a "nonfictional" mower, anyway??  I've been meaning to ask since I first read that unusual description.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,130 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Pretty sure he meant nonfunctional. LOL
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah, I didn't make the connection.  Of course, you are correct.
Photo of johnreames

johnreames

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes.... they have had my mower and battery for almost a month. Home Depot in Columbia, Two Notch RD area... sent my mower to Atlanta,Ga for repairs. Was told that it would be expedited. Nothing heard from them since. Not happy with the customer service. Mower was great until EGO's rep had me perform a battery test that damaged the mower.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
John, EGO wants to get involved if your warranty job exceeds 4 weeks. Give EGO CS a call. They will get involved. 
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Also, you can always get real-time updates on your tool's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,190 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Battery test that damaged the mower ??

So you called with a battery problem and customer service broke your mower ??
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,352 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'd like to know that as well...