Home Depot associate said to keep battery in charger when not in use. Correct?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Home Depot associate said to keep battery in charger when not in use. Correct?
Photo of Roger Prince

Roger Prince

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of James

James

• 332 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I certainly do NOT do that.  It probably doesn't hurt anything to do so, but I have two batteries and three devices.  I do have two chargers, but only one "fast" charger, so I only use it.  After I finish my yard work, I immediately charge both of the batteries and then just set them on the floor near the charger.  I have this routine so that I always I know that I'm ready to use them the next time.
Photo of Bob Cunningham

Bob Cunningham

• 60 Points
Can the charged battery be put in the mower ready for next use in a week or so?
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 1,104 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I thought I read somewhere in one of the manuals, or maybe on this site, that Ego specifically recommends NOT storing the battery in the charger.  I'll try to find that reference.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,866 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
EGO's official stance is to remove the battery after charging. However, from the charger manual the battery will not overcharge if left on the charger. Note that I leave my chargers plugged in at all times, but remove the batteries after they are charged.

"5. When the battery pack is fully charged, the charging indication LEDs stop alternating and will shine green continuously. The power indicator on the battery pack will go out. Wait until the cooling fan stops, remove the battery pack from the charger and disconnect the charger from the power supply.

6. The battery pack will fully charge if left on the charger, but it will not overcharge. If the battery pack remains on the charger for one month or more, it will perform self-maintenance and drop to 30% charge capacity. If this occurs, reinstall the battery pack on the charger to recharge it fully."
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 1,104 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That's it.  Thanks for finding it.  

I do the same, and take my batteries off after charging, but leave the charger plugged in.
Photo of Carolinaz Pantherz

Carolinaz Pantherz

• 492 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree with everyone. I also charge all of my batteries after use and then store them for the next week. I keep my fast charger always connected and my slow charger is still in the box.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 69,866 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I should clarify. I don't always charge mine right after use. I usually charge them just before use or closer to the day I'll be using them. It seems it's better for the batteries to be kept at around 30-50% of charge and just fully charge before use.
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 2,112 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Don’t keep it at 100%. Very bad for battery life. Guaranteed to have bad battery right around the 3 year mark. Don’t charge battery until day you want to use it. There’s a reason ego auto discharge to 30% after a while, that’s to preserve battery life. 30-40% is the best range to store batteries for the long term. Can easily extend life to 5-10 years of use. Note, don’t store battery completely discharged either, equally bad if not worst.
Photo of Dan Stephens

Dan Stephens

• 60 Points
Thank you. Having a tough time deciding whether to buy the mower or not- no one able to tell me the average life of a battery if handled correctly.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,030 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They have been around for about 5 years now and most are still in service so 5 years +