Hi, When will the string trimmer ST1501 be available?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

String trimmer ST1501 
Photo of Pauly

Pauly

• 70 Points

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Yes, inquiring minds would like to know!

What is the run time with the new brushless motor? The 12" ST1201 claims up to 45 min.

Will the ST1501 be available in Canada as a kit and/or a bare tool by spring 2015? Based on another post, the other bare tools are supposed to be available at that time.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wooo hooo variable speed, I didn't see an announcement for this. I only saw it on home depots website. It would be nice to see released items here first so I dont have to check home depots website. Also it doesn't look attachment capable, too bad. But one tool for each job isn't the worst thing. Keeps it light and power at the trimmer head. But seriously. Make an attachment capable motor unit, then we can use our items that we already have like cultivator and edger. It's the best rout to go considering the capabilities already out there and it makes ego much more appealing to customers as they can use pole saws, edgers, cultivators, you name it, there is a head for it. The motor just has to be huge ;) that's what I want.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jacob, we really appreciate your feedback and know so many are looking for an attachment capable string trimmer.  It's on the list for development and we'll keep you posted if it comes to fruition.
Photo of Wayne Beck

Wayne Beck

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Do you know when bare tools will be available in Canada..I have a mower and string trimmer
Want to get a blower and hedge trimmer.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Someone asked the question about run time on the HD store site:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-String-Trimmer-ST1501-S/...

The response from the Ego Support Team is that it runs for 15 min on the 2.0Ah battery.

?  The ST1201 with ordinary brushed motor claims up to 45 min run time on the same battery.  Is this 15 min estimated while clearing heavy brush?  Some clarification would be nice!

I had the ST1201 for a few weeks in the fall but returned it since I also had the blower and mower kits (with batteries and chargers), so I will purchase a trimmer as a bare tool in the spring when they're available in Canada.

If the price gap between the two trimmers is not too large and the ST1501 has a brushless motor I will lean that way, but not if it only has 1/3 the run time of the standard model.

Sorry for the delay in our response.  The 15" String Trimmer is currently available online for purchase in the US and will be in select stores by the end of March, at the latest.  The spool for this string trimmer will be online in the coming weeks.  It will be in the same select stores in the US.  In Canada, this string trimmer & spool will be available online only on homedepot.ca by March.  We strive to post our tools on our own site & this one before HomeDepot.com but sometimes they beat us to the punch.  We will have this tool listed on egopowerplus.com before the end of the month.  We apologize for the delay and wish we had been first!  We are checking into the actual run time and will advise soon on that.  We are so sorry for all of the confusion.
(Edited)
Photo of InTheHills

InTheHills

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
15 min runtime with the 2 Ah battery? Perhaps it should have either the quick charger or the 4 Ah. 

Will this be available without the kit? 

InTheHills, yes, this string trimmer will be available as a bare tool (no battery or charger included) in the very near future on homedepot.com.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego will confirm the run times shortly. The 15 min runtime is very likely incorrect. The ST1201 runs for 45 min on the 2.0Ah battery.
Photo of InTheHills

InTheHills

It was the eGO Support Team that said 15 Minutes on the Home Depot Q&A. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

True, but if they said the moon was made of cheese I might wait for a second opinion. :)

15 min doesn't make much sense, hopefully Jennifer and her team can straighten this out soon.
Photo of InTheHills

InTheHills

I assumed that the HD eGO Support Team would be the same folks answering questions here. 

Hi everyone, yes, we are the same people who answer on HomeDepot.com.  We made a mistake and are verifying the actual run times.  We are confirming with our engineers and will be in touch as soon as we have a very accurate time for you.  Thanks for your patience and we apologize for all of the issues this has caused.
Photo of InTheHills

InTheHills

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification. Standing By. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sorry for the significant delay in our response on run time.  As the 15” String Trimmer is equipped with a variable speed throttle, exact run times can vary between 25-45 minutes of continuous use with professional grade, .095 line.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks Jennifer! When will we see the fact sheet added to the Press Room?

Thanks for checking.  We should have that fact sheet posted by early next week.

Hi all, the fact sheet for the 15" String Trimmer has been posted to our site here: http://egopowerplus.com/pages/press-room
(Edited)
Photo of Doc

Doc

• 654 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just looked at the fact sheet, I have to say this. I like the trimmer, it was easy to use. However. It does not have the same power when edging that my gas trimmer does. I have an Echo Gas Trimmer, and the EGO trimmer seemed to be a lot slower, and a lot less power when it comes to edging. It was snagging and hiccuping a lot, where as my gas trimmer does the work in about half the time, and seems to have more power.
Photo of Doc

Doc

So I am not the best person to ask here, but I have this trimmer, and it was a comfortable height to use. I was able to do everything I wanted without fighting it. 

Run time was around 20 minutes realistically. I was not able to get all the trimming and edging I wanted done on one battery charge. So its either use whats left of the mower battery, or get the higher capacity battery to use with the trimmer/blower. I was really hoping to use the blower and the trimmer in one outing on one battery. This was not a realistic expectation. I will say its more my fault, and not theirs. However with the 8 inches between the front of the mower, and the blade due to the handle. I was using the trimmer more than I wanted to.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Doc, you say the low run time is more your fault, can you expand on that a little? Do you have a large amount of heavy trimming to do?
Photo of Doc

Doc

I edged and trimmed with it. I have a gas edger, but I just wanted to know if it could be done on one charge. I also hold the throttle down, I was rarely using the low speed, and that was only around delicate areas.

I did end up with a lot of trimming to do because the mower couldnt get to it. My gas snapper mower can hit it just fine, but I have multiple 90 degree corners that the 8 inch front of the mower leaves un-touched. So I assume its my fault due to holding the trigger down, and trying to edge/trim with the same battery.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Understood, thanks for clarifying.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.