HELP! Rear wheel broke off and customer support has been useless

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
The left rear wheel (standing behind) of my self-propelled mower fell off several weeks ago. I spoke to someone from the customer support team who offered to send me a replacement wheel (no tracking number; no instructions included). So now I get to figure out how to fix this thing myself... great. 

When my replacement wheel arrived, I removed the current bolt to install the new parts. That's when I noticed another piece was broken:

I got on the phone with support again (happened to be the same person), and she chastised me for not knowing that the other piece had also been broken. I told her that I'm not a lawnmower repair expert, and it may have been helpful if she instructed me to make sure this part wasn't also broken before ordering replacement parts. The support agent then spent some time figuring out what the part is, and told me that it's out of stock. She then instructed me to call back a week later to see if it's back in stock.

I'm sorry, but this is how EGO Power treats its customers? It's on me now to continue calling to find out if a part is back in stock? The company is taking zero responsibility for its faulty product (and yes, I've seen the broken wheel issue on this forum; it's a faulty product), and I'm stuck without a lawn mower for several weeks. 

It's beyond 90 days, (purchased in March) so I can't return to Home Depot. Any ideas on how I may be able to get this resolved. I'm so disappointed with the complete lack of customer service.
Photo of adjustafresh

adjustafresh

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Angry

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of walt

walt

• 720 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Our commiseration is mutual is such matters.   When customer service fails to function in the resolution of problems in a timely manner then the company soon begins its demise.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,668 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
My experience is Ego CS does a very good job.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Wow, sorry about this mess. I'm surprised they actually sent you a replacement part, which is probably more than many companies would do. I would think the repair would have been covered by the warranty, but then you would have to wait 4-8 weeks for Home Depot to get around to it. 
Photo of adjustafresh

adjustafresh

Looks like Ego is trying to get around long wait times for repairs by having their customers do the warranty work themselves. Unfortunately, they can't even provide the parts necessary for me to attempt to repair the mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,908 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
your theory doesn't seem to jive with the majority of posts here on the subject.   Many post that they want to fix their tools themselves but Ego insists on them bringing it in to HD for warranty repair. 
Photo of Tom Madsen

Tom Madsen

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Have you spoke w/ customer service at a local Home Depot?  Did you purchase w/ a credit card?  Ask you CC company if they can assist you in filing a claim.  I've been successful with Visa challenging payment due to lack of customer service or replacement of product; event past the 90-days. Maybe put the heat on Home Depot to communicate with their vendor, or they can live with the negative reviews on Home Depot site.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,740 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Maybe they would get the message if they started getting 90 day returns from HD with missing parts.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Yes I am sure they study their returns looking for secret messages.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,740 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
No secret - just have stock of parts and do something about long repair times.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,032 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
adjustafresh

Give Ego customer service a call.  I know you are tired of calling them, but I think another call and a calm explanation of the problem should get you taken care of. 

I have had nothing but good experience with Ego cs and have read many stories here of people being taken care of very well.

Call first think in the morning if you can to minimize any wait
Photo of adjustafresh

adjustafresh

Thanks for the replies. I did call customer support again. The person I spoke with this time at least tried to be more helpful, but the part that I need (I believe she said it was a wheel cap) is still out of stock, and she said there likely wouldn't be any for at least another 2 weeks. She told me that she emailed a supplier to see if they had any lying around and would call me when she hears back. She hasn't called.

Meanwhile, I'm relying on the kindness of my neighbor to borrow his mower so I stop getting side-eye from our homeowners association. 

Seems like the next step is to call Home Depot and explain the situation. At the very least—even if they can't help fix it—I'm sure HD would be interested to know how their customers are being treated by one of their vendors. A vendor that makes a defective product and can't seem to do anything to rectify the problem. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Isn't the "wheel cap" or as it is referred to in the manual "dust cover" more for looks and some extra protection than the actual operation of the mower ?

Seems like your mower would work just fine without it.
Photo of adjustafresh

adjustafresh

I thought the same when she said "wheel cap," but the customer support rep described the part I need. It's a thin plastic piece that sits behind the wheel (pictured in the second photo of my original post). My dust cover for the wheel that eventually broke off never stayed on so I ended up just leaving it off because, as far as I could tell, it was just decorative. Maybe it wouldn't stay on because the wheel wasn't mounted correctly in the first place?
Photo of Colton Charlton

Colton Charlton

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Same thing happened to me, 2 minutes into my first mow and rear wheel just fell off. Exchanging at Home Depot tomorrow but this does not give me good feelings about a $499 investment.
Photo of Colton Charlton

Colton Charlton

Left rear wheel btw, sounds like that’s not an uncommon occurrence. Saw another thread on here with the same wheel breaking off.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,072 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So is that 3 or 5 broken wheels now ? 
Still pretty uncommon !

This is a website where people come with problems - you can't  extrapolate it onto the thousands (tens of thousands?) of mowers in use
(Edited)
Photo of Colton Charlton

Colton Charlton

If you search "wheel broke" under reviews for the mower on HD's website (7.5 Ah w/ self propel), you'll find another 7 reviews from this year where a rear wheel snapped off. Almost all state it was the left rear wheel. 

I'm not saying it's a rampant problem yet and I'm willing to try again and exchange the one I got. But, just maybe something changed with manufacturing this year and the left rear wheel is a weak spot?. For me, it is worrying that this was posted 3 weeks ago and mine immediately broke. I would probably try another brand but I need the battery for another tool that was a gift and I do like the design of this mower.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,072 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I would bet the broken wheel is a packaging/shipping issue rather than manufacturing as they seem to be broken when coming out of the box. (or likely cracked and brake fully soon after). 

Colton I didn't mean call out you or your post - your post was calm and appropriate.  There have been several posts lately declaring the products a bad etc due to poor manufacturing and the country of origin.   I guess I was more addressing those as it is silly to make such declarations based on a bad experience or two.

Based on how upset some people are and how social media operates I would not be surprised if some(many?) of the broken wheel posts on here and the HD site are from the same customers.

You are right a broken item out of the box does not instill confidence, nor does reading others complaints.  I hope things work well with your replacement mower. 

I am on 3 + years with my 21" SP mower and no problems.  Also have several other Ego tools and all are working great.  I did need a repair on my snow blower and got it fixed and returned in just over a week.  So, there are many happy customers - most just don't come to this website as they are happy and busy using their Ego tools.  Some are here because we enjoy learning more about the tools and helping others out when we can.
(Edited)