Help, mower will not stay on!

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
My Ego mower was mowing fine and then after about 10 minutes it shut off. When I restart it it starts up fine but loses power in a seconds. No grass or obstructions in it. Tried all 3 of the batteries I have (all fully charged).  I have been on hold with customer service for almost 4 hours. Also "presses one to receive a call"...but noone is calling me back!!!Has anyone experienced this? My mower is 3 years old and I have never had a problem. 
Photo of Martha

Martha

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,836 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Double check that the handlebar clamps are fully engaged. One way to check them is to try starting the mower while pulling it backwards. If it continues to run then the clamps can be a top contender as the problem.
It's often said here try calling CS when they first open for the day to try and avoid hold times.
Photo of Martha

Martha

That was the first thing I checked. Then tries the other 3 batteries I have. LOL. I made sure it had nothing stuck underneath. All is clear. I mowed for about 10 minutes and then it started doing that. At first I thought maybe I ran over a branch, but nope. It just started doing it. Customer service never picked up. I was on hold for 5 hours and 7 minutes. Put it on speaker while I did my chores. UGH.
(Edited)
Photo of Jeremy

Jeremy

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
5 hours and 7 minutes on hold tells me that they are in over their heads and I, for one, will avoid their products until this kind of customer disregard subsides.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,896 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
April/May is always the busiest with CS.
I know they increased their staff over prior years
They were having IT/phone system problems (complete shut down perhaps)
I am not sure where they stand on getting the system working and/or completely repaired.
Doesn't help with any one's problems - but certainly not their normal response times
Photo of Lapp3r30

Lapp3r30

• 604 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Martha I have had the same problem with 2 mowers (I run a business with them so I have a few.).  Was it cold outside?  Cause that's the only common denominator I seem to be able to pinpoint.  I wonder if there are other threads with this issue.  I instantly thought the side clamps were the issue as well but I'm not sure.  
Photo of Martha

Martha

Not cold out. However, I had been mowing for 10 minutes and the grass was very tall.I think it might have tripped a overload setting. It was OK the next morning. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,318 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good it's working again. Sounds like you did trip the overload. Was there an orange light on the mower when it stopped? If so, that is the overload indication. I have found when trying to mow tall grass, to do it in steps. Set the mower level high and cut, then drop it down a notch or 2 and cut again, rinse and repeat as necessary. 
Photo of Martha

Martha

No Conditioner?!  LOL.Thanks Mike
Photo of Lapp3r30

Lapp3r30

• 604 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I was mowing very short grass when mine happened. No resistance whatsoever.