Help deciding.. Ego power head or Milwaukee both on sale today at HD

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

HD has a one day sale today. I can't decide on which system to go for. They have the Ego Power Head Multi Tool with Weed trimmer for $299 5 AH battery and the Milwaukee Quick Lok Trimmer 18v 9AH battery with the Articulating Hedge trimmer, which I really want to get from either system, a $169 option, Free.. $329 for both. From what I see the Milwaukee is very powerful and has a good run time as does the Ego. If I went with the Ego I would need to buy either the 24" hedge trimmer or get the $149 optional articulating hedge trimmer. Those are basically what I need. Not sure if down the road I would get any other tools right now.
Any thoughts on the pros and cons? 
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,488 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ego multi tool is great
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,786 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Check out the cutting capacity of the Milwaukee vs EGO hedge trimmer.   I hear the EGO has a 1" capacity that's almost like having a pole chain saw.   The extender would make it awesome for cutting vines and pruning small branches out of trees.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

The Milwaukee Artic. hedge trimmer is 1" too. I think their handheld is only 3/4".
I could probably live without the Hedge trimmer attachment and just get the 24" tool only, $99 for the Ego instead of the Milwaukee.. I've been thinking this to death.. duh.. They are both quality tools.. Both battery systems seem to be highly rated.. I dont want to go the Ryobi route for bad batteries reviews 
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

I have a bunch of the Ryobi 18v small tools - trimmer/edger, blower, drill, radio, lantern, etc. - those batteries are reliable and the tools are great for small yards, older females like me and for my hurricane season outages.   

For heavy duty use - Ryobi 40v batteries are not reliable in my experience.   I tried to buy the Ryobi mower first and the battery was a dud, so Home Depot upgraded me to the EGO LM2101 push mower with a $50. customer satisfaction discount.  I'm glad they did!   Love this mower, the mower and battery have been flawless.   

Let us know what you decide!  Best wishes!
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

PLUS - with the EGO - I get all the experience and advice of the expert EGO ChampionsTM here.  What more could an old lady want?!!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Sibyl, we do our best to help!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Craig, I think if OPE is your focus for a battery platform and you’re starting from scratch, the Ego platform has a lot more going for it. The batteries are much larger and more powerful, with excellent cooling design for cool operation and super fast charging. You have the option of much larger and more powerful tools should you decide to go that route in the future.

If you were a trades person who already had a ton of Milwaukee gear and you knew for a fact you’d only ever need the smaller tools, that might be the way to go.

I have a bunch of Milwaukee M12 tools and they’re awesome, I’d recommend them to anyone. Milwaukee makes great stuff, but I don’t see their current 18v battery platform cutting it in OPE. They’ve done impressive things with it, but it was designed for small hand tools.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

Blue Angel, Please clarify - what is OPE?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,186 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Outdoor power equipment
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Sorry Sibyl, I should have typed it out at least once!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Of course you're going to get biased opinions here since most of us have already bought into the Ego lineup. (People like me labeled "champions," by the way, are NOT Ego employees. We're just customers who contribute to the forum a lot.)

I bought my first Ego tools (the 20" mower and original 15" weed trimmer) four years ago when I bought my house. I had a variety of Black & Decker tools before that, including hedge trimmer and sidewalk edger.

The tools themselves are very well designed and robust. Very solid and useful, so they won't let you down there (there's a reason the tools have five-year warranties. Ego doesn't want to release any tools that aren't good enough to compare to gasoline-powered competitors.

But what Blue wrote above about Ego's batteries is key. Ego's battery platform just runs circles around the competition, and all the batteries are interchangeable on all the tools, regardless of capacity.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 7,336 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Big fan of Milwaukee....Big fan of Ego also. Remember battery size listed doesn't equal true battery size related to equal voltage outputs. The 5ah at 56v actually has more juice than the 9ah at 18v.

The standard Milwaukee trimmer seems to have a little less power than the standard Ego 15" trimmer. The power head trimmer is the most powerful battery operated platform currently available ....by a long ways. Think two to three times stronger than the 15" trimmer. I'm not sure where Milwaukee rates their new multi tool platform at but I suspect it is not in the same power class as the Ego power head unit.

I run Ego professionally........I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on Ego handhelds.....with a bunch of that on the power head system. Stone cold reliable.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

thanks everyone for the input.. I see HD still has the sale on today according to the website. I am sure EGO has more power and the system is more expanded than the Milwaukee but the deal they are running is more tempting with their Articulating hedge trimmer. If I just the Ego power head with the trimmer for $299 I could buy their 24" brushless hand held hedge trimmer for only $99 bare tool and use the 5ah battery that would only be $70 more compared with the Milwaukee. Maybe Ego will run a sale on their attachment tools down the road.  I have been only trimming my hedges 2 times a year, I hated doing them, they should be cut 3 times a year since I need a step ladder to get the tops.
My corded hedge trimmer is a pain and is very dull so just going to a cordless one will make the job easier.   I really dont think will convert to all cordless tools, like a lawnmower, chain saw, snowblower.

I am still trying to think it all out. 
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

I just ordered both tools.   I will make a good evaluation on both and return one. I know Home Depot is good about returns.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Good to hear, Craig! Let us know what you think.

Just one word of caution, the handheld hedge trimmer might be a bit heavy with the 5Ah battery. You might consider picking up a blower or other smaller tool with the 2.5Ah battery to take some weight out of the tool.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Im getting the Milwaukee Quick Lok with string trimmer and the hedge trimmer attachment this Friday and the Ego Power Head with the string trimmer 5AH battery early next week. Ive been going back and forth on what to do. The Milwaukee deal is hard to beat, $329 with the arcticulating hedge trimmer included. However I know the Ego may be better for more tools down the road.

I do need a new hedge trimmer of some kind and the reach of the attachment will save me time not having to use a step ladder, not a major deal one way or the other. I do sealcoating and at times I could have used a weed trimmer to edge the driveways and get out grass from the cracks so that's what has brought me to wanting a string trimmer and then saw I could also get the hedge trimmer  for home use. 
How easy to you think it is zipping up and down a driveway using the EGO trimmer with the 5AH battery.. Will it be a beast to handle? 
I am wonder if I am going overkill for my needs since I really don't have large area of weeds to trim. My wife has been using a 20v small trimmer which works for her cleaning up the edges of the lawn.

The next cheaper step down is Ryobi I guess.

any thoughts/
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I'm an out-of-shape middle-aged guy and the Ego trimmer with the 5.0 Ah battery isn't a problem for me. I have a shoulder strap for it that I don't use very often, but that's an option to take some of the weight. But I've found the balance to be pretty decent once I got the helper handle where I wanted it.
Photo of Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

One question I need answered too is, how does the Ego string trimmer do for edging a driveway or flower bed or getting grass out of cracks in the pavement? What is the best method for handling it?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

They do fine. Whatever shortcomings there were it was because of my own lack of skill or attentiveness.

For cracks in pavement, I don't like beating the heck out of the trimmer string. Even though I switched to a less brittle string when I had to buy some, concrete still chews through string.

For weeds growing up through concrete I use a weed torch and burn the suckers to ash.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.