Hedge trimmer jammed

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Solved
Blades are stuck. What size tool or allen wrench fits the blade nuts?
Photo of brian delaney

brian delaney

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • extremely disappointed

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 4,588 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Brian, hope you have a set if SAE and Metric Allen Wrenches; in case no one knows for sure, just start trying ones that look close and go from rhere.Not that manyina set.
Photo of brian delaney

brian delaney

I tried them all. It's like s completely round hole. I think I'm missing something obvious that someone who has dealt with this could point out
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

• 486 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just guessing but if the hole looks round could it be a Torx drive? I doubt that EGO would employ a bolt that is soft enough to strip out the drive hole using the wrong size wrench. Can you show us a close-up photo?
Photo of brian delaney

brian delaney

I'll be home in 10min I'll take a pic. Thank you
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 171,568 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Which model do you have?

I have the HT2400 and either an 8 mm or 5/16 wrench fits the hex head nut.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Forgot, I also have the HTA2000 attachment. It takes a 3 mm hex.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 75,936 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
HT2410

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

So I was curious and tried a few different options.  I have decent tool steel allen keys and insert bits, as well as a nice set of German (Wiha) impact insert bits.  With all three options the 3mm fits well (the allen key has a touch of play, but not much), but none of the 1/8" sizes fit!

Perhaps a loose fitting 1/8" allen key would fit?  1/8" is technically oversized (3.175mm).  I tried 7/64" as well and it was way too loose.

Maybe Ego needs to update the manual and remove the 1/8" option?  Anyone else feel like trying a 1/8" hex in their HTA2000 or HT2410?  Maybe I'm off?  :-\
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

• 486 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
BTW: 3mm = 0.118" or one hundred and eighteen thousanths. Since 1/8" = 0.125" the 3mm hex key (Allen wrench) will always fit in the 1/8" hex hole in bolts/screws. It will be a bit loose cause it's smaller by 0.007" "per side". Yellow highlighted copy above might add: "Tighten all bolts in same pass about 1/8 - 1/4 turn (22-45 degrees) then operate machine to test result. Etc."  When Allen wrenches (hex keys) are plated they are often of inferior quality. Black oxide from a known brand is the best way to go. Very accurate and very hardened steel.

Photo of brian delaney

brian delaney

Ht2410. The bolts aren't accessible on this model it seems like you can only go from the other side which is some sort of allen wrench
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Allen wrenches are sometimes poorly made and don’t fit very well. Could it be that you have the right size but it just doesn’t grab?
Photo of brian delaney

brian delaney

Thst has to be it. Thank you