hedge trimmer corrosion

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
Surprising amount of blade corrosion after single use  Used light oil before use.  Trimmer worked great and pruned about 25 bushes.  Wiped blade with soft cloth and applied light oil for storage.  After setting about a week the blades are covered with corrosion and some rust.  This is my third trimmer and the first to experience this issue.  Is this common?
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • concerned

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
My hedge trimmer blades (original trimmer, not the newer brushless one) show some wear marks like that but no rust. It could partly be that we live where there is fairly low humidity most of the year.
Note that I only use it 2-3 times a year at most.
Photo of Hugues Lajeunesse

Hugues Lajeunesse

• 72 Points
Used mine 2 or 3 times last year, and the blades are completely rusted by now.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wow, that thing looks like it's been living outside. That's some serious rust. 
This looks like the brushless one so it's less than 5 years old so still under warranty. Don't know if this is considered a warranty situation, but could be worth a call to EGO CS to see what they say.
Photo of Hugues Lajeunesse

Hugues Lajeunesse

• 72 Points
I did call but rush is not supposed to be covered. It's one year old (2018 father's day gift) and passed the winter in the garage. Never see rains or snow.

I called the support today. Waiting monday as a EGo boss should look at the case and call me back.

I'll ler you know!