head housing replacement for line trimmer head

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Solved
 The Head Housing is then only part that wears out. Don't need the whole replacement Head Assembly its expensive and a waste. When the only part that wears out is the Head Housing made of cheap plastic. The Head housing Needs to be update with a more durable material or Just sell s replacement Head housing by itself.  Thanks.

Photo of jw

jw

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, I haven't seen too many people with that kind of wear on their trimmer heads!  You must trim around a lot of stone or brick?
Photo of HSJ 671

HSJ 671

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes. I would like ego to strengthen up the green bump head. I have the ego trimmer 1501s domelike plastic.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 53,930 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
HSJ, how are you using your trimmer? I have the same one and mine looks practically new. I only put the bump head to the ground when I need to advance string so maybe that's why I'm not seeing much wear on the head.
Photo of jw

jw

Mike, why doesn't EGO just sell the part that wears. I should not have to buy the entire head assembly. They should just sell the spool retainer cap. FYI it wears under normal use. Check the reviews wear is the problem.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 53,930 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
JW, yeah EGO has some work to do on what spare/replacement parts are available for our tools regardless of how they wear. 
Photo of jw

jw

(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,330 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I read some of those reviews a few days ago and I honestly don't get how those people are tearing up their rapid reload heads. I've been using the rapid reload head for three summers now with nothing more than a few scuffs.

My nextdoor neighbor has a gas-powered Stihl trimmer that has a bump head and it's made of the exact same type of plastic.

In your photos above, how did you manage to grind all the markings off the surface of the bump head? They're embossed deeply enough that it looks like you aren't bumping the head on concrete; it looks like you're pushing it down at full speed for several seconds.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,330 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In your photos above, how did you manage to grind all the markings off the surface of the bump head? They're embossed deeply enough that it looks like you aren't just bumping the head; it's like 2 or 3 mm of material has been sanded off the surface, from edge to edge. Here's a photo for comparison:

(Edited)
Photo of HSJ 671

HSJ 671

I agree with JW in regards to selling just the green bump head as an replacement and Oregon Mike, I do use my trimmer under normal condition wear and tear. I do have hard surface with different types of grass... prior to purchasing another bump head I was pulling out the shorten string and then spin it to length. Now I replaced the bump head until that gives out. Out here on the islands we have some challenging surface. I guess I’m putting it to severe and challenging conditions. Also looking at other brand to take the challenge but I wait til it is necessary to make the change. So far already invested in the blower chain saw and bush trimmer... still happy....
Photo of HSJ 671

HSJ 671

Correction... blower chain saw and hedge trimmer...
Photo of Mitch Phillips

Mitch Phillips

• 60 Points
I have the same problem. My trimmer head looks just like the worn-out picture - and that's after just six months. After a couple of months, all the marking were gone.  I only bump it on grass. They should make a better head. Now, it's an extra $29 to replace. Wouldn't expect this from an otherwise great product.
Photo of HSJ 671

HSJ 671

Well, the green bump head just gave out.... now, i need to replace the head assembly...