Have a BA4200 battery no light comes on when pressing on the button. Is this normal?

• Question
  • Updated 2 days ago
  • In Progress
 I have tested the voltage with a meter and getting 57.02v but like I said button does nothing.. 
Photo of John L

John L

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 21,350 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
When you put it in a tool, does the tool run? Is this a new battery, or one that's been working fine for awhile?
Photo of John L

John L

All I have is the battery.  Trying to figure out if it's a working unit it was left behind in the recycling bin at work.

Don't know if the tool broke and they got rid of the battery or if the battery is not working and they got a new one.
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 21,350 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, hard to say. It would be nice if you could get your hands on an EGO battery charger to check the battery. 
Photo of John L

John L

I know... I was just reading an suv the button should light up when it has a charge. I assume since the internal cells are 18650 and it’s a 14s pack that would mean a max of 58.8v and a min of 42 if they are letting g them drain to 3v maximum discharge . From reading the manual I should get a red light below 15% or a green light above. Is that correct?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 21,196 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, that's correct. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 47,798 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes, while pushing the power button on the battery you should get a red or green light indicating the charge level
(Edited)
Photo of John L

John L

So no light at all could mean bad unit. Maybe Ill go to HD and see if they would let me put it in a floor model.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 47,798 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
worth asking
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 145,524 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
John, what do you plan to use the battery for?
Photo of John L

John L

Don’t know yet, I’ve been looking at the tools now. Some of it looks really nice, and if it is working it’s $350 step toward getting into the ecosystem. Haven’t decided yet though
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 145,388 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I’d say there’s a good chance it’s non functional. If you had access to a tool and charger you could try it out to be sure.
Photo of John L

John L

I’m gonna head to Home Depot, maybe tonight maybe Saturday. If it’s non-functional, that’s a whole Lotta nice cells and there :)
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

42 of them, to be precise! :-)
Photo of John L

John L

Wow I Only counted 28
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The BA4200 is the 7.5Ah battery which uses three parallel strings of 14 cells. Samsung 25R cells based on the last tear down I saw.
Photo of John L

John L

Guess the battery is dead.... I got my hands on a charger and all it does is click on and off rapidly when the battery is inserted.

Being an DIY electronics guy I opened it up the battery and after looking around on youtube I found about removing the board and there are like 14 battery test points. When I test from ground to b14 i get 46V but when I test ground to B1 I'm getting negative voltage. guess I got some bad cells.