Has EGO reduced repair times when taking mowers in to Home Depot?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
It's been a while since I've visited this forum.  A couple years ago there were many horror stories about HD keeping mowers for many months before fixing them.  Is that still the case?

I just took my 21SP in today because the SP function quit. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,454 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,644 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Welcome back Dave

Repairs at HD seem to be hit or miss depending on if there is competent local staff at the HD you bring your repair to.
I got my snowblower repaired in 10 days - in the depth of winter,
There are still some stories of long and unresponsive repairs as well.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah.. I think it's still "Your mileage may vary" sort of thing.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,898 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I've had the SP part of my 21" mower break twice. The first time (Sep/Oct 2017) HD kept my mower for 5 weeks to repair it. The second time (July 2018) Ego sent me a replacement mower within 10 days.   [My SP unit is now making some high pitched noises that it hasn't in the past, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not about to fail again...]   I do have a larger than usual lawn (it takes me 2-3 batteries to do the whole thing) and I use the SP unit continuously, so it's getting a workout.....but I would expect it to be more robust.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
High pitched whine is usually the bearing. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

My lawns are quite small--I can mow them both in less than 20 minutes.  I use the SP all the time.  It has always made a bit of a slight grinding sound but I didnt mention that when I brought it in.  I should call them and have them add that to the ticket!
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,898 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I've hit the bearings with light oil like the manual says, but it doesn't fix the sound.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

thanks guys.  I hope that today I get a call or email from the rental dept fellow that is supposed to look at it.  he wasn't working yesterday when I brought it in.   I want to find out if he can fix it with shipped-in parts, or if it's going to get transported elsewhere which of course means a long turn-around.

I see that EGO has dropped the price of the 21SP by $100!    Also, I don't see why thee is a $250 premium for the dual-battery model, given that it has just a paltry extra 2.5 Ah.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,524 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dual battery model has a brushless motor and generated more power using the same peak power system as the snow blower.  It is not just an extra battery for longer run time.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah.
Photo of Philip Linsalata

Philip Linsalata

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
EGO needs a better system to initiate repairs of its equipment! My post about "HD repair stinks" is still valid! Its now 5 weeks and no word from HD on the status of my repair. Good luck to you sir, i hope they provide you better service than i have received to date!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 68,476 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
When it edges past four weeks you should call Ego customer service. They'll get involved to find out what's going on and speed along the process.
Photo of Philip Linsalata

Philip Linsalata

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Its funny because EGO customer service tells you to contact HD. Homedepot then tells you "we are still troubleshooting your gear, we will call you when its ready". Dont laugh its happened twice. EGO customer service cant light the fire under HD repair services...So much for the warranty! I am sorry for both of us Dave. I hope your experience is better than mine has been!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I'm not too confident that the repairs will be timely.  Not only that, but my gas powered mowers had  a lot more hours of operation w/o needing repairs, but I can't stand the fumes.  The exhaust fumes from gas powered equipment was the main reason I switched to EGO products.  I still think the blower is the best tool they make (as long as u have extra batteries for it!).
(Edited)
Photo of phil

phil

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
OK Home Depot Repair of EGO equipment is horrible! I submitted my broke equipment on March 8, 2019 and i just picked it up today May 9 2019. I know the repair order states it may take 4 to 6 weeks to repair but geez!
This is the problem, EGO should have local mom and pop repair shops doing the repair work. My equipment went on a Flat s
Stanley visit to Georgia! They shipped in from Austin Texas to a repair facility in Georgia! That's at least 1 week in transit going and 1 week coming back! 
And before the moderators on this site state "you should have called EGO, you should have called Home Depot", I did, two times each! Ego customer service cannot make Home Depot work any faster and Home Depot customer service don't care to work faster!
To add injury to insult, god knows how long my equipment has been sitting in my local Home Depot. They never called when it arrived! The poor guy behind the counter asked "did we call you to tell you it was ready"? Duh, no but somehow its sitting on your ready bench! 
And the real kicker was the refund of the 20.00 diagnoses fee! So my credit card changed from the one I originally charged the 20 dollars to to a new one. Talk about throwing Home Depot a curve! What do we do now! Its only 20 dollars folks, stick your hand in the till and give me 20 bucks....NOOOOOOOO, they need manager permission to mail me a check from Home Depot corporate, it will take 2 to 3 weeks sir! 

This lesson alone should be a warning to potential EGO equipment buyers.....Buyer  beware, yes you have a warranty, be prepared to sit and wait months for your equipment to get fixed. Wake up call folks, go back to gas again!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,122 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is a risk we are all aware of.  We are all hounding EGO about the repair times.  I would love to know the contractual stuff surrounding the repairs.

Repair times for mowers is really unacceptable.  I have always wondered of EGO should offer a loaner program (purchasable add-on to the warranty).  Like a rental car  :)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,132 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
SCDC,

The loaner program is a good idea.  If that was in place, I bet the repair times would be a lot quicker.  As Ego sells more mowers and snow blowers they definitely have to fix this problem.  People still need to cut their grass every week or snow blow their driveways when needed.  It is hard to hire people or companies part time to mow your lawn or plow your driveways while your waiting for your mower or snow blower to be repaired.  To me that is the only major problem EGO has, but it is a big one.
Photo of phil

phil

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You know, i like that idea of a loaner option when you submit your gear! I mean i was without the powerhead for 2 months! I could not run anything without the powerhead, it was useless. That's a great idea!....EGO what do you think!
Photo of Vish

Vish

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm coming up on 5 weeks now since I took my mower in for repair. The Home Depot store I took it to said the parts are on back order and are annoyed every time I call to find out the status. The Ego Customer Support person has stopped replying to me now. Very frustrating experience.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,666 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Maybe a fresh call to Ego CS would help

per Ego's service agreement, the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give our support team a call (1-855-346-5656).

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Photo of Vish

Vish

So I called both those numbers. Thank you for that. Ego said they will send me a replacement mower. I didn't get any confirmation or tracking. Do I need to follow up with someone about this or can I expect a mower delivered soon?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,534 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My mower came 7 days after I called.  I'm in northern Calif.
Photo of Vish

Vish

Did you get a tracking number or any confirmation email? I got nothing so far.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Yes, I got email confirmation of shipment.
Photo of Vish

Vish

I got a tracking number. Did you get a new battery or did they send the old one back to you?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

They sent just the new mower, bag, instructions, mulcher,  side chute.   I think there was a blade also which I quickly swapped for my HL blade.  No battery or charger.
(Edited)
Photo of Vish

Vish

Really hope they don't lose my 7.5 AH battery. Ego said it will be returned to the store but Home Depot knows nothing about it.
Photo of Vish

Vish

Called the Home Depot repair number again. They said they got no request from Ego about returning my battery to the store and they would put it in now. This is so annoying to have to constantly follow up with every single thing.
Photo of Vish

Vish

Called the Home Depot repair number again. They said they got no request from Ego about returning my battery to the store and they would put it in now. This is so annoying to have to constantly follow up with every single thing.
Photo of bill

bill

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
EGO needs to address the problem of HD not being able to fix anything run by the computer mother board, which is almost everything except the wheels.  I have been waiting 4 weeks and get told it is being worked on for two consecutive weeks, then third week saying they just received it the day before, then the next day EGO saying it is FIXED, should have it shipped 300 miles in 15 days??

Called Customer Service and they are in the dark mostly.  They say the local HD repairs them. HD says they ship to an "RLC"  EGO does not know what an RLC is??
 I have the 580 leaf blower and EGO self propelled.  Will buy a EGO snow blower for Wisconsin winters.  BUT, I have learned now that when HD ships out for repairs covered under the nice five year warranty, I will purchase exactly the same model and use until my unit is repaired satisfactorily.
HD has a 90 day return policy to let you try unit and see if it worth keeping.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Just googling around, I see that RLC is the Repair and Liquidation Center for HD. Apparently it's the HD network of locations that disposition returns or problem products. It looks like a distribution warehouse that just routes products to the right locations. I doubt it's exclusive to EGO, all kinds of stuff gets funneled to these locations. So EGO would not know much about it. Considering the amount of different items they have to deal with it looks like a logistics cluster@$#* to me.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,236 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
My mower went to Arizona when I took it in to HD San Jose, CA, for repair.  They not only didn't fix the problems, but created an additional problem.  Once I got it back, I called EGO and they promptly replaced it with a new mower, which I received 7 days from the day I called EGO.   It's a shame that EGO's brand is heavily tainted by the terrible HD service.  Never have I encountered such time-wasting, inept service.  From waiting 1 hour to get clueless HD Rental Dept. employees to fill out all the paperwork, to waiting over a month for the mower to come back in worse shape...I hope EGO soon partners with some other entity to do the repairs. I mean it couldn't be any worse, could it?
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 3,376 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
"it couldn't be any worse, could it?". Well, no. HD is doing their best to disenfranchise their EGO customer base. EGO is a very young company and I expect their service network to mature over the years. For early adopters, that's the price you pay. For me, I'll stick to my reliable gas mower until this evolves into a more stable situation.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 19,236 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I would agree that it does seem as if HD is trying to piss off it's EGO customers, when it comes to service.  They also aren't great at stocking EGO products either--at least not in my area (San Jose).  Just think of all the missed sales, by not having the products sitting on the shelf.   What a terrible way to market, IMO (having to special order).
(Edited)
Photo of Craig J Smith

Craig J Smith

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I took my snow blower in to Home Depot for repair (It was totally dead) on 5/10/2019 it is now 7/5/2019.  Home Depot said they would notify me when it was ready to pick up but I have not heard anything yet.  I have checked twice with Home Depot and they said each time the company was "waiting on parts".  They also indicated that they sent it in right away to Ego for repair.  Fortunately, snow season is still a little ways away.  I hope they complete the repair before snow season starts.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 67,314 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The person you were talking to at Home Depot was misinformed. HD doesn't send anything to Ego for repair because Ego doesn't have a repair service. HD sends products to its own repair centers.

Ego's contract with HD calls for a quicker turnaround than what you are experiencing, although I can see HD not thinking to stock snow blower parts in the summer. But still, I would call Ego customer service and get them involved to expedite your repair.

Call Ego at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
(Edited)
Photo of Craig J Smith

Craig J Smith

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
When I initially spoke with Customer Service at EGO, my contact said to take it to Home Depot and they would send it in for repair.  I apparently misinterpreted that the snow blower would be sent directly to EGO.  If another 2 weeks goes by, I will call Ego Customer Service to see if they can expedite the process.  Thank you for the update.