Has EGO reduced repair times when taking mowers in to Home Depot?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
It's been a while since I've visited this forum.  A couple years ago there were many horror stories about HD keeping mowers for many months before fixing them.  Is that still the case?

I just took my 21SP in today because the SP function quit. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 16,464 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 82,710 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Welcome back Dave

Repairs at HD seem to be hit or miss depending on if there is competent local staff at the HD you bring your repair to.
I got my snowblower repaired in 10 days - in the depth of winter,
There are still some stories of long and unresponsive repairs as well.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 51,070 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah.. I think it's still "Your mileage may vary" sort of thing.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 7,728 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I've had the SP part of my 21" mower break twice. The first time (Sep/Oct 2017) HD kept my mower for 5 weeks to repair it. The second time (July 2018) Ego sent me a replacement mower within 10 days.   [My SP unit is now making some high pitched noises that it hasn't in the past, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not about to fail again...]   I do have a larger than usual lawn (it takes me 2-3 batteries to do the whole thing) and I use the SP unit continuously, so it's getting a workout.....but I would expect it to be more robust.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 51,070 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
High pitched whine is usually the bearing. 
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

My lawns are quite small--I can mow them both in less than 20 minutes.  I use the SP all the time.  It has always made a bit of a slight grinding sound but I didnt mention that when I brought it in.  I should call them and have them add that to the ticket!
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 7,728 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I've hit the bearings with light oil like the manual says, but it doesn't fix the sound.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

thanks guys.  I hope that today I get a call or email from the rental dept fellow that is supposed to look at it.  he wasn't working yesterday when I brought it in.   I want to find out if he can fix it with shipped-in parts, or if it's going to get transported elsewhere which of course means a long turn-around.

I see that EGO has dropped the price of the 21SP by $100!    Also, I don't see why thee is a $250 premium for the dual-battery model, given that it has just a paltry extra 2.5 Ah.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 82,710 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dual battery model has a brushless motor and generated more power using the same peak power system as the snow blower.  It is not just an extra battery for longer run time.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah.
Photo of Philip Linsalata

Philip Linsalata

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
EGO needs a better system to initiate repairs of its equipment! My post about "HD repair stinks" is still valid! Its now 5 weeks and no word from HD on the status of my repair. Good luck to you sir, i hope they provide you better service than i have received to date!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 59,642 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
When it edges past four weeks you should call Ego customer service. They'll get involved to find out what's going on and speed along the process.
Photo of Philip Linsalata

Philip Linsalata

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Its funny because EGO customer service tells you to contact HD. Homedepot then tells you "we are still troubleshooting your gear, we will call you when its ready". Dont laugh its happened twice. EGO customer service cant light the fire under HD repair services...So much for the warranty! I am sorry for both of us Dave. I hope your experience is better than mine has been!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I'm not too confident that the repairs will be timely.  Not only that, but my gas powered mowers had  a lot more hours of operation w/o needing repairs, but I can't stand the fumes.  The exhaust fumes from gas powered equipment was the main reason I switched to EGO products.  I still think the blower is the best tool they make (as long as u have extra batteries for it!).
(Edited)