Has anyone sanded down the underside of mower deck?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
I was wondering if anyone has sanded down the underside of the mower deck to smooth out all of the ruts, which act as a catalyst for grass collecting and clumping up under the deck?  I've thought about sanding it smooth and waxing/lubricating it to cut down on the build up.

Anyone?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,326 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • wondering

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 54,698 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not the underside but I was considering this yesterday for the exit hole. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,530 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Maybe the deck has changed/improved - I never have any problems.  Occasionally when I mow wet grass I use a paper towel to easily wipe the deck clean when I am done mowing.  The deck seems smooth and I have not noticed any ruts.  I have the LM2100SP.

The deck seems to have a glossy/smooth finish.  I wonder if sanding it would expose a less glossy/smooth more fibrous portion of the composite deck.

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,326 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good question.  Mine is all scarred up.  Feels like a concrete driveway :).   I need to do something!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,198 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If it's scarred up sanding might help. But I've had good luck just giving it a coat of paste wax at the beginning of the mowing season.
I have not either but I have some Teflon lock spray I use on my snow shovels I plan to spray on it before I use it again this season.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,360 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I use automotive paste wax.  Works a LOT better than sprays such as graphite.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,976 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
That's why I'm holding out on buying an EGO mower, I just feel more confident about buying a metal deck anx like the actual side discharge on them when I need to use one once in a while.

Next Summer I think somethings coming though.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,126 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Composite decks really aren't a problem. My four-year-old mower looks practically brand new, save for a couple of minor scuffs on one side where I rubbed it up against a chain-link fence. No worrying about scratched paint or rusting metal.

The main weakness is the design of the side discharge chute.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Any other new product release info Erik ;)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,976 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If I told you, then I would have to kill you haha.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I can live with that.  Start talking
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 2,288 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Yea the discharge feature out the back is not ideal, but bagging and mulching are good to go.
Photo of Chris Plank

Chris Plank

• 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Am I missing something? Ego already sells a metal deck mower with a true side discharge.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Oh if they do I didn’t realize that ! That would be cool to check out.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,412 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I've never had issues with the under side holding any grass. It may be that I don't mow wet grass and when it's real lush, I make 2 cuts at highest setting before lowering to a 3
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Nice, thanks szwoopp! I had to talk my wife into spending $500 for the regular SP. I don’t think I can get off the hook if I spent that much, but very very cool.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,412 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Matthew, I don't understand this culture where a man cannot spend money he made without his wife's approval. I buy my cars without her seeing it or approving. Of course, she has free reign to spend as she want without question. Neither of us are irresponsible and trust each other's judgement. It works for us and we're on our 42 year of marriage.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Lol, well we just finished building our house in August, getting new furniture for it, and going to Philippines for 2 weeks in June so she had a point lol
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

Oh and got a brand new car because a deer totaled the last one in November
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 9,138 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I used to get a lot of build up when I would mow wet or even slightly damp grass.  Now I'm militant about only mowing completely dry grass, and don't have a build up problem at all.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

I still get a little build up and only mow dry grass but it’s not to bad