Happy owner

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
Happy owner of an EGO mower (4th year) , blower and trimmer a few years each. A question about the mower if anybody else has this happe. Once I release the control lever, the engine slows down but doesn't actually stop for about 20 seconds. Anybody else?
Photo of RichManitoba

RichManitoba

• 436 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
That’s a new one, Kim. I’ve had my 20 inch mower for about the same amount of time and I haven’t noticed anything resembling what you mention.

What you’re saying sounds almost like what happens when the battery dies, where the machine slowly costs down to a stop. Would that be accurate? Do you have a second battery you can try it with to see if the problem follows the battery?

Regardless, it sounds like either your mower or battery may have an issue. Give Ego Customer Service a call and they will help you troubleshoot. As this is their busy season try calling during the week and early in the day to avoid long wait times.
Photo of RichManitoba

RichManitoba

Batteries are good! Another poster mentionec a resistor. I'll call a CSR if a get a chance during the week. THANKS!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You are still under warranty so I would wait until the end of the mowing season. Unless that puts you over 5 years for warranty
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Sounds like the brake resistor is fried. It's a white brick resistor and it provides breaking functionality to the mower when power is released. The switch that the bail handle engages activates and deactivates this resistor.

Fixing it would be a huge pain in the butt, you can access it through the battery bay

Or wait untill the end of the season and claim a warranty on it
Photo of RichManitoba

RichManitoba

You mentioned it being a pain in the butt, I'm NOT a handy man, but I'm careful when repairing things. Is this something I could do? Is that resistor readily available?

Great picture and explanation, thank you!
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It's just a rectangle 1 ohm resistor. And yes it's available. I can get you some info later. 1 ohm and i believe it's a 10 watt resistor..
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yes as amber said it will void the warranty. But here is the part number.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

And I was way off on the specs lol.
60 watt 5k ohm resistor
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,206 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We love the innovation here! Just please keep in mind that attempting electrical repairs on your own would void the warranty. 
Photo of RichManitoba

RichManitoba

Well that takes care of that!
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Hmmm. I failed to mention that above. Sorry kim