My handles won't stay extended, even with replacement clamps.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
handles popping out and was getting worse, now have received replacements, replaced them today, have been testing them, they are still popping out. What can I do? Very frustrating to the point I would like to send this mower back for a replacement.
Photo of Robert Ruvkun

Robert Ruvkun

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Contact customer service back and let them know that the problem wasn't fixed by the replacement hardware. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Might even try emailing Ego photo or two of your mower to see if they can spot a reason the replacement clamps didn't solve the problem. I can't recall seeing a single person post that the replacement clamps didn't solve the problem, so there could be something else going on with your handle to cause this problem.
Photo of John Stewart

John Stewart

• 60 Points
I received replacement clamps and they did nothing to solve the popping-out problem. After comparing the replacements I received to the original clamps, I concluded that they were exactly the same.
(Edited)
Photo of Ryan

Ryan

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The only solution I have is to wrap the clamps in electrical tape. I never retract my handle so the tape I applied a year ago is still on there and still working.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I  would like to replace my clamps. Can you direct me to a purchase place and a part # would be nice. Is there an exploded parts diagram some where.
aloha
Dan
21 in ego mower
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Contact customer service: 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
Photo of Dan

Dan

thanks Ken
is there a parts breakdown picture some where with part# s ?
aloha
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Google EGO lawnmower parts list and it came up for me.
Photo of Dan

Dan

Thanks Sharon

I was looking for  a complete one showing internal motor parts as well
aloha
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

OH, I see.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Dan, the exploded view in the manual is the only one available. Any parts not shown on that image are not available.
Photo of Samuel Strong

Samuel Strong

• 2,060 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello Robert,

That is very odd that they are not working properly, in order to completely take care of this issue we will need to refer you to service. If you would please take your mower and both sets of handle clamps to the following Home Depot Tool Rental Service Desk, they will be able to help you resolve this issue:

Lander #4702
2701 Utah Ave South
Seattle, WA 98134
(206)467-9200

You may also be charged an $18 service fee up front, but this will be refunded back to you, as it is all covered under warranty. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-855-346-5656.
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

My clamps did that a few times, but haven't done it in quite a while now - thank goodness.  Don't send your mower back, you will love it once you get the clamp situation settled.
Photo of rafael motta

rafael motta

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
happens all the time for me, I just clamped it together.... poor solution for a poor design
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Agreed, that's a poor solution. Especially when there are much simpler and more effective ones readily available for free.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I don't understand all these issues with the handles. You would think from reading this that all units have a problem and it was a bad design or widespread production issue. The ratings and reviews simply don't reflect this.

I know my mower that's over 2.5 years old was only of the earliest produced, but I've never once had a single issue. And I am really not as gentle with my equipment as I probably should be.

If you have one of the few affected units, get the replacement clips from Ego. Or there are instructions on this community site for notching out your faulty clips yourself (from a time back when replacement clips weren't readily available). Both seem to have a very high success rate solving this problem for those who report having experienced it.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,880 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree. My ego mower probably has more running hours than any other one being used. I spend more time with it than my family i swear. I know my yard better than my wifey :). Of course they are sleeping when I mow. My point. No problems with my handle clips. I dont get it either david. I think right away i had some issues, but they almost just needed to be broke in. Haven't had a problem in over 2 years.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Getting close to two years with my 20" mower and my right side clip is starting to pop out every now and then, maybe once every 3-4 times I mow, the left is still good to go.  If my yard was bigger the right side clip would probably pop out more often.  At 28' x 105' I could probably fit a dozen of my yards inside Jacob's place!  :-)

I haven't called in yet because it just hasn't been a big enough deal to actually remember to call.  One of these days I'll get around to it.

Maybe you guys just got really special mowers, like Wednesday mowers.  Back when I was in automotive, a running joke was that you'd want a car built on Wednesday... as far away from the hangover plagued Monday/Tuesday as possible without getting too close to the absent-mindedness of people thinking about their weekends.

Kidding, of course!  :-D
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

When I first got my EGO, two years ago, the clips popped a few times, but it seems to have overgrown that tendency and this year, they have not popped out at all.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Blue Angel, you really need to swap your clips, check out the video in this post:
https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...