Handle clip keeps popping out

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

I've had my mower for about a month. Everything I mow, the clips that are used to secure the handle in place pops out. Actually just the left one. During a series of pull and push motions while mowing the handle will squeak and slide a little shortly followed by the left clip popping open. Suggestuons?
Photo of cpannarbor

cpannarbor

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I have had mine pop up too, but usually just one and I never know if I accidentally bump it against something that pushes it out or what.   I think it can cause the mower not to start if a clamp is not tight when you try to start it.  It seems mine will start and then die and then I see a clamp is not in place.   Not sure what to tell you.  Maybe some velcro strap to hold it in place?  I have had mine about the same amount of time and I love it so far.
I just got off the phone this morning and the tech new right away how to resolve the issue.  In less than five minutes my account was verified and the clamps will be mailed out. I have used the mower practically every five days and it performed excellent. Easy to push with hardly any effort.  I'm trying to encourage my lady neighbors to purchase the Ego Mower.  My lawn has never looked so good. Many thanks to EGO!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We're glad we could help!

Official Response
Hi, we have replacement handle locking clamps available with our customer service department that we'd be happy to get ordered for you.  Give us a call at 1-855-346-5656 and we'll get you taken care of.  We are available Monday through Friday from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST and Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST.  We look forward to hearing from you!
Photo of Elmer

Elmer

• 62 Points
How about instructions to go with the clamps, or a diagram. Would be very helpful.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
SCDC had posted these below, further down the conversation:

http://www.bplt.org/files/Instruction...
Photo of John

John

• 862 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It would be nice if it could be rotated so it could be read without standing on your head.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jennifer,

My first time calling support.  That was rather effortless.  Replacement clamps should arrive within a week.  Well done EGO.
Photo of eric

eric

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I had the same issue and agree the support call was effortless. Kudos for sure. I received the replacement and installed with ease but I have to report that the issue is returning to the same side (left)as before. First it starts out as just needing to be constantly reinserted/re-secured before it finally just wears out and won't stay in place. It hasn't worn completely out yet so I haven't made another call..as I hate to waste warranty calls on such a small part. But it is like an Achilles heel...since the handle has to be fully extended, this simple part does make a major difference. Having to constantly fiddle with it during mowing is an annoyance. I've used the mower since March, and am certain it will keep going another mowing season ...but I will likely need a replacement clip soon.
Photo of cpannarbor

cpannarbor

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Support indicated that the clips have been re-engineered and sent the replacements.  I compared the new clips to the old ones and they seem identical.  Unless the padding is more sticky or improved in some other way.  The clips went on fine and they are not popping out anymore.  Happy.
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I too have had the same problem with the handle clamps popping open, especially the one on the left (looking at the mower from the back).  It will pop open when just pushing the mower and being careful not to bump up against something like a shrub or fence.  The left one does not cause the motor to stop like the right one when it pops open, but it causes the handle to rack and I'm worried this will cause other problems down the road.

Anyway, I contacted customer support and had a new set of clamps sent to me and received them in less than a week.  But the clamps did not come with instructions for replacing them.  And there is an extra part that came with them that is not on my mower.  It looks like I just need to punch out the old metal pin that holds the clamp in place, remove the clamp and retaining spring and reinsert the new pin, spring and clamp.  But that extra piece (the one on the right in the photo) has me baffled. I called CS again to get instructions but the person I talked to was not able to locate replacement instructions.  Anybody have any idea where this part goes and how to attach it?

Stan Fayfar

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thank you SCDC! Stan, I also sent you an email a few moments ago with the replacement handle clamp instructions.
Photo of Stan

Stan

Thanks SCDC and Denise!!!  You're instructions are greatly appreciated!  They made the replacement easy.  Hopefully these new clamps will solve the problem with popping open unexpectedly.  You guys ROCK!

Stan Fayfar
Photo of Esquirrel

Esquirrel

• 62 Points
I just got an EGO mower and started having this problem within 15 minutes.  The mower appears to power down when the clip opens and the handle slides forward on the right side.  That isn't encouraging.  I hope the company has a good fix or this one is going back.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I haven't ever had any problems with mine, and I haven't heard of anyone who received the replacement clips having any more issues. Not sure if they tried a different design or if there was a production issue, but the few that were affected can definitely be fixed to work perfectly like all the others do.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Esquirrel, I don't understand your comment. If you've read this thread it details what's happening and how to fix it. There's not a lot of doubt as to whether EGO "has a good fix."
Photo of Stan

Stan

Hi Esquirrel, I had the same problem with mine last year.  Both clamps kept popping open even if I didn't bump them against a bush or my fence.  I called customer service and got a replacement pair in 3 days!  Since I replaced them a month ago, I haven't had a problem with them popping open at all.  It was an easy fix and didn't cost me anything.  If you look at the pic I sent above in this thread, the item on the far right has a slightly thicker rubber pad on the newer version than the original one.  (Note, you can't see this item until you remove the metal pin that holds the clamp on the handle frame.)  The other 3 parts are identical to the original ones from what I could tell.  So if you give CS a call your problem should be solved after the 15 minutes or so it takes to replace the clamps.  If the phone lines are busy because of the high call volume this season send them an email and they will take great care of you.
Good luck!!!
Stan Fayfar
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

That has happened to several people.  Seems to be the worst thing about the mower.   I don't think it being made of plastic is good as I noticed mine is wearing off where it fits into the other part on the handles.    I haven't had it happen in several uses now, thank goodness.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Esquirrel! I noticed you sent an email regarding this issue as well and I responded to you this morning. Please reply back to the email with the information I requested and I will add your name to the back order list for handle locking clamps.
Photo of Timothy

Timothy

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also have the same problem with the clips popping out - so as recommended above, I called and got right to a person who said they are aware of the problem - and have re-designed the clips.  Unfortunately the replacement clips are on backorder.  :-(  So i'm on the back order list.  Still, I'd call this a good customer service experience.  

Timothy, thanks for giving us a chance to make this right for you and we really do apologize for the back order.  We have you on our list and will get those parts to you as soon as we have them.  Please accept our apologies for the delay.
Photo of kwang

kwang

• 60 Points
i have same issue with my handles as well

Kwang, give us a call and we can get you on the list for replacement clamps.  1-855-346-5656.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Are current production mowers shipping with the new clips? I bough my mower about a month ago and have only used it a few times so far, do I have updated clips or the original design? I noticed one time that the right clip had come undone while mowing but so far it hasn't been a problem. Do I need to get replacement clips?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I bought my mower back in April and it had the updated clips.
Photo of Glen

Glen

Is there a picture of each for comparison? What are the differences?

Glen, you should have the most updated clips but in case the popping out is a constant issue, our customer service team can help you with replacements.  We're only a phone call away at 1-855-346-5656.  A comparison photo of the two clips can be found on this thread: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/lawnmower-handle-locks-pop-out-constantly-is-there-a-f...
Photo of Glen

Glen

Thanks Jennifer. I'll check my mower and see what I have.
Photo of Glen

Glen

I finally had a chance to check my handles and it looks like I have the old style! I'll be calling customer service tomorrow.
Photo of Glen

Glen

Oy, customer service wants me to send them my receipt before they'll send out the new clips.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Well, I'm not to thrilled with that.  I can understand, but being that receipts are printed on thermal paper, they usually fade out in a month or two.  I think in the registration process there should be an option to "upload receipt".  Scan and send it.  That would be nice.  Just a suggestion. 

Personally, I use an app on my phone called scanner pro, and scan in all of my important receipts, then sync on the cloud with all of my devices.  It's a pain to have to keep track of so many receipts.

Photo of Glen

Glen

It's just an inconvenience. I'm at work, where I called from. The receipt is at home so it'll have to wait until tonight.
Photo of Glen

Glen

I agree re: uploading a receipt at registration time. Now I wonder how the battery warranty will work if I have an issue down the road. The CS rep could see that I registered my mower but still asked for a receipt.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Probably just like everything else.  EGO has been good at just using the registration information.  But, I think it is smart as they are growing to request proof of purchase from a valid retailer.  I mean there are a lot of used things sold these days.  It isn't bad of EGO, I just think adding the feature to upload a copy of the receipt would be very helpful. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Given that Home Depot has an electronic receipt option (sent by email), I'm sure with a little work a system could be set up where the purchase of any Ego products triggered an email response to Ego. It could include the customer's name and email address, phone number etc. and could be copied to the purchaser as well.

Doing this would give both the customer and Ego an electronic receipt stored on email servers that could be called up at any time.

Thoughts? I know HD can be tough to deal with, but this doesn't seem like too much of a stretch since the system is largely in place already. The only issue I can see is some people not wanting the HD to have their email address?
Photo of Glen

Glen

New clips arrived today and I just installed them. It's amazing how such a small change makes such a difference. But, looking at how the clips work, the small detent in the new clips makes sense. Thanks EGO.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I started having the same problem with the righthand side clip last season and simply tied it up with a short string to keep in place. So glad I found this thread - just called customer service and will have two new clips in the next couple business days.

We're so happy you could find the answer you needed and get the replacement parts you wanted.  Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with!
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What's more amazing is that I literally just finished opening the box that contained my new clips. Arrived today. lol :D
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@EGO: can you confirm that the new 2016 mowers (both self-propelled and non) are designed with the new clips, eliminating this problem?

You are correct DJ. The new 21" mowers have the new and improved clips on the handles, eliminating this problem.
Photo of Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am having a problem with my 20 inch original lawnmower getting the clips replaced I called Ego and they insisted that I find a way to get a receipt and date of purchase,which i don't remember at this time in order to just get a replacement  fully.clip,even though the lawnmower has already been serviced last yr and were supposed to had been taken care of fully. Talked with Jorge at Ego.
Signed Broken Handle clamp

Jeff Jones
Photo of ChrisF-NY

ChrisF-NY

I am having this problem as well. I purchased January 2015 and have registered the mower. The clips have been bad since we unboxed the machine but we have been using a bungee cord to hold the handle clips in. Can I get these replaced without having to call in? I have been on hold for 25 minutes waiting for customer service. There should be an easier way to replace these since it is a common issue.

thanks.

Chris F - New York.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
try calling at the beginning of Ego's day instead of in the middle of the day when they are very busy.  I sometimes get through in under a minute.   If I call at the wrong time, there is a lengthy hold.
Photo of ChrisF-NY

ChrisF-NY

I called in, got the clips, had my kids "help" put them on and they are back to mowing the lawn (not without their usual grumbles) but at least they don't have to use the bungee anymore. :)
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

Glad the clip situation was resolved.  Too bad there is not a fix for grumbling kiddos.  At least, they do get the job done.
Photo of Andy Witherspoon

Andy Witherspoon

• 436 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I called last week and asked to purchase these replacement clips.  The EGO rep said no problem and sent me a new set and covered it as a warranty claim.  The shipping was fast and I received these yesterday (3 business days).  Install was easy and the new clips work wonderfully.  Thanks EGO!

Thanks for giving us a chance to help you out Andy!
Photo of Bill Edge

Bill Edge

• 60 Points
Local HD has a 20" mower in stock with broken Handle clips.  If I buy can I get 2 replacement clips?

Will the new improved clips work?
(Edited)

Bill, replacement clips are available with our customer service department and shouldn't cause any issues for you.  They can be reached at 1-855-346-5656 to place your order.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.