Guide Bar Sprocket Maintenance for Chain Saw

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
For the EGO Chainsaw, the manual states "..the guide bar has a sprocket at its tip.  The sprocket must be lubricated weekly with a grease syringe to extend the guide bar life. Use a grease syringe to lubricate weekly with chain oil by means of the lubricating hole (Fig. 38)...".

By "chain oil", is it referring to the same bar and chain oil we pour into the chainsaw's oil tank (e.g. the "OREGON bar and chain oil" recommended by the manual)?
Photo of JoeJ

Joe

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Joe, yes, use the same bar and chain oil as used in the chainsaw's oil tank.
Photo of JoeJ

Joe

Thanks.  I just wanted to be certain.  I guess WD-40 is not something we want to be using here as well?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
WD40 is not bad when used as a penetrant, but it's generally a terrible lubricant. The bar and chain oil is pretty much guaranteed to do a much better job at protecting the moving parts of the saw from wear.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Speaking of Oils.  I have used Lucas oil additive along with Mobile One synthetic.  The Lucas Oil Conditioner is very good stuff.  Cars start easier and the lubrication qualities are second to none when compared to other additives.  I wonder how well it would work on the bar, along with the chain oil.  I wouldn't advise anyone to try it, but it makes me wonder since it does blend with other oils.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,122 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I usually just pour a little on the chain and spin it slowly, before each use. Knocks out a bunch of "dry start" issues.
Photo of JoeJ

Joe

Thanks. How much luck are you having keeping the bar and chain clean in general? 

I dismantle the whole assembly and clean it by brushing the debris away after each use (I even use a pressurized air "duster" can, the type used to clear dust out of computer cases), but the sticky mix of sawdust and oil really limits how much ends up getting removed from both the bar and chain, and it feels/sounds like crunching sand in the guidebar when I'm reassembling it all and turning the chain by hand.

Maybe that's just how it's supposed to be, but I keep trying to get it clean like it was when it was brand new and that just doesn't seem possible.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Without resorting to soaking the bar and chain in a degreaser bath, "clean enough" is probably your best bet. If you're taking the time to disassemble everything and clean after each use, you're probably in the top 95th percentile for chainsaw maintainers. :-)

Maybe SCDC has some specific advice regarding the Ego saw that might help?
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Let me be honest here.  The chainsaw is my least favorite tool to clean.  I basically just pull out anything gunked up and put it on a pan in my storage building.  I've never had to really do much to a chainsaw.  EGO's chainsaw design is a good cousin to a gas chainsaw and should not have to be treated like a fragile tool.  When I need to use it, I just pour a little bit on the top of the bar/chain and run it slowly for a few seconds, top off the oil, and go.  I only unscrew the cap to clean the chain when it clogs badly, or the chain fall off (which happens a bit more than I like), but acceptably easy to replace and adjust.

In short.  The chainsaw is a tough tool.  You should not have to baby it.  It should last for a LONG time. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

...and if you do manage to wear out the bar and/or chain, standard Oregon brand parts are available for replacement.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Might I add.  I have a lot of tree cutting to do this winter.  Can't wait to use it.  It's actually quite fun.  I'll get Blue to lift and move the logs. 
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hey Blue.  You know who helped me from being O.C.D. about treating the tools like fragile toys?  David Cline.  He made a lot of sense about them being lawn tools to replace the gas tools, not some cheap knock off that we have to baby.  I really enjoy seeing the posts here.  Seeing the different opinions really helps one to understand the expectations.  I look at David as our "keep it real" guy, Blue as the forum EGO Manual  :), Jacob as the guy who sneaks in now and then with some cool ideas and help, and myself as something in-between all of that.  In some ways our different views fill a lot of holes.  The rest tend to need customer support.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Agreed, everyone has a role in the end.

Wait, does this mean you're no longer waxing your mower? :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Dangit Blue.   :(.  I still use the Honda motorcycle wipe on spray to clean my mower.   
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Paging - David Cline
Paging - David Cline
We need a reality check in isle 5
:-D
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Part of me wishes I could get my Ego tools back to "like new" condition, especially when I see the marketing photos they post on social media of people using brand new equipment.

But then I think how ridiculous a pristine pickup looks beside all the work trucks on a job site, and I realize that the only way to truly keep any tool looking brand new is to never use it. And never using a tool makes it pretty useless.

There is a difference between taking care of your tools and babying them. I take care of my Ego tools, but I don't baby them to the point that they don't look like they've ever seen a day of toiling in the yard. They still work great, and that's what really matters!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Couldn't agree more DC!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Man, DC is definitely the "Reality Checker"  Love it.