Grinding noise with the self propelled drive

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Starting hearing a grinding noise when attempting to engage the self propelled drive? Any maintenance tips nothing mentioned in the manual about drive problems.
Photo of David Risner

David Risner

• 70 Points
  • Irritated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 5,116 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You don't state which SP mower you have...so based on this EGO manual
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0262/2513/files/15-0910_EGO_LM2100SP_LM2100_56V_Lithium-ion_cordle...

Have you lubricated your wheel bearings? pg 29

Have you removed the rear drive wheels as shown on pg 30 
and confirmed the gear drive on the wheel is secured with the three screws as shown in diagram 33b?

also have you examined the drive gears as shown on pg 31
and made sure they are not damaged
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,928 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
As Paul suggested, check out the gears on the inside of the drive wheels. Several have indicated their gears wore out.
Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,766 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
The gears on the rear wheels used to be plastic. They were shocking and would strip out. I have been sent metal gears and so far the problem has not returned. Be careful when powering round tight turns, release the self propel when turning
Photo of RAHilliard

RAHilliard

• 62 Points
@Pete Innes - did you do the repair yourself? If so, how did you get them to send you metal gears? 
Photo of jungk1341

jungk1341

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I too have the 'loud SP drive motor noise'.  It has gotten progressively louder since purchase in May of 2018.  I called customer service, and as long as the mower is still moving, there isn't much to service. Everything is sealed around the drive motor.
I did lube the bearings, and pull the rear wheels to lube the gears (both gears are metal).  Neither of those contributed to the motor noise.  It definitely is coming from the electric wheel drive motor.  Don't know how long the motor will keep running like this but I guess I'll find out.  It is significantly louder than the blade/cutting motor.
Photo of Dan Cooke

Dan Cooke

• 60 Points
I have the same issue with the drive motor noise.
Photo of Sandra Lotstein

Sandra Lotstein

• 60 Points
Me, too.  The lawnmower isn't cutting much of anything anymore.
Photo of jungk1341

jungk1341

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Update on my earlier comments on the 'loud SP drive motor noise'.  Today, it quieted down, to its original relatively quiet performance.  I'm wondering if for some reason the gears became misaligned due to the Direct Drive manner in which it is connected to the wheels.  If the wheels are not 'released' with a little forward motion at the end of a mowing strip, they somewhat 'lock'.  Maybe repeated actions caused the Direct Drive to alter somewhat.  Just speculation......as i can't figure anything else that might have put stress on the system.  I do try to 'release' the SP function just before a turn, so the wheels move freely, but nobody's perfect.