Green light on battery stays on when mower is off - cannot turn it off and drains the battery

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

I place a fully charged battery in mower. I run for ten minutes and it works fine. When I put the mower away the green light on the battery will not turn off. Pressing the battery button does nothing and it drains the battery to red just sitting in garage.
Photo of John

John

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Are the headlights staying on while the mower isn't in use? That would be my first idea of what might be draining the battery.
Photo of John

John

No the headlights are not on. The headlights do work when the button is pushed.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just out of curiosity, are you leaving the battery in the mower after use? Does the light turn off if you remove the battery?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Even if so, mine doesn't drain if I leave it overnight. I don't think this is normal behavior.

Taking the battery out while not in use is probably best practice though, and at very least could be a temporary solution until you can reach Ego for service or warranty replacement if necessary. Email may be the fastest way to reach them unless their call volume is back down near normal.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I just thought if taking the battery out of the mower solves the problem, it isolates the issue to the mower. If the light stays on the battery after removal then the issue is likely the battery.

Either way you're right, it's not normal behavior.
Photo of John

John

This is the second season on the mower. Light use less than 18 minutes per week. After mowing the light is on, the key is out and in storage mode the battery is powered on. When the battery is removed the battery turns on and off with the button. If I do not remove the battery the mower drains it. This makes it a pain for my wife and children to mow.  Picture attached in storage mode. I will contact customer service.
(Edited)
Photo of Edward Miller

Edward Miller

• 60 Points
John, mine does the same thing! Is their a fix?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's always a good idea to remove the battery for storage, for safety if nothing else.
Photo of John

John

The mower should not drain the battery when not in use. It did not do this prior to two weeks ago. My concern is what will be the next implication of an unknown power draw.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
After mowing I remove the battery, charge it, and then keep it in the house where it is a lot cooler than the garage.
Photo of John

John

I understand but these methods do not address the issue that is not a normal behavior.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Not normal behavior?  EGo has an excellent warranty.  Contact them and they'll take care of you!
Photo of John

John

Behavior of the mower- not the company. It has an obvious power drain that did not exsist before. I have confidence in Chervon and have emailed the particulars. I reached out in this format to seek information. In my opinion just pulling the battery masks potential further complications.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Yes, it doesn't sound good that the mower is drawing power when not in use. The headlights were my first thought, but if they are not on then it could be a short or some other potentially dangerous issue.

I am sure an Ego rep will contact you quickly to troubleshoot and resolve this, but I don't think I have heard of any such issue ever being reported on this site. So unfortunately it is doubtful that anyone short of Ego's tech support is going to be able to shed any light on this.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Paul, absolutely your mower should NOT draw power after shutting down.

I'm sure Ego's CS team will get you taken care of. They will be back on the forum tomorrow AM. If you haven't already, make sure your contact information is registered with your profile and they will get back to you ASAP.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi John! Thank you for your post. I received your email that you sent to customer support as well, and I will be giving you a call back this morning to troubleshoot with you further.
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Tate

Gary Tate

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
green light on my battery stays on one -two min after i shut down. started today. Called support and they were going to send me replacement, i suggested that i use mower again to see if it occurred again. cut grass this afternoon and it light stayed on for 3 min. Called in to report and this time was told by different support folks its  a software issue nothing to worry about. 

Not sure whats going on now.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Gary, if the light doesn't stay on for more than a few minutes, there's nothing to worry about.  If the light on the battery stays on for hours at a time and is draining the battery's power, then we'd like to hear from you to get this sorted out.
Photo of Gary Tate

Gary Tate

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
thx, have two batteries both doing the same. Both battery LEDs go out after 1-3 minutes.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I paid attention to mine when I mowed yesterday. The LED stays on for a minute or so after shutting the mower off if I leave the battery in the mower, and it goes off within seconds if I remove the battery. This seems to be normal behavior.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Does it stay on if you remove the battery from the mower? Other than the light staying on for a couple of minutes is it causing a problem, like battery drain?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Gary, I wouldn't worry about it. The small LED light in the power button of the battery would draw so little power as to be nearly insignificant, especially if it's only on for a few minutes.

If, for some reason, the light was staying on indefinitely then you would have something to worry about.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Mine stays on for 3 to 5 minutes (I'm not counting, it just seems like that).  It will go out though.  And Blue has a point, an LED draws so little power, the LED on my fitness watch stays on all of the time and lasts a year on a watch battery.  I wouldn't put much into that issue, but you can always ask customer service.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.