Great 530CFM blower review

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
I have just got my 530CFM blower and gave it a try.  It was raining all night and into the morning so the ground was wet and the leaves were stuck to the ground.  This is the time when I generally hated going out with the rake as you knew that the job was going to take hours.

For the sake of this review, I did use my larger 5.0ah battery that I have changed from my 16" chainsaw.  The blower that I purchased was the non kit version so it didn't come with a battery so I don't know if the smaller kit battery will change the performance.

I have tried the larger 600CFM backpack blower and personally found that it was not comfortable to use and just was not built for my size of person.  I am 6'2" and have quite a large build power lifter type body.  The straps on the backpack just didn't seem to want to fit my body shape, and the blower because it is attached to the backpack just didn't want to point in the direction i needed it to all the time.

This smaller 530CFM blower by comparison, was much lighter and felt like I could move it and direct the flow of air with much more ease.  I was using the same battery as in the backpack and at no point did I feel like I had any less flow of air or reduced power.  It would have been nicer if EGO had put the speed controls into a variable speed trigger like the Ryobi unit that is sold, but I can live with it at the front.  With the speed control set to full, the soggy wet leaves were easily picked up from the ground and blown a good 2-3 feet forward from the nozzle.  In fact the unit in this setting would easily move leaves that were 3-4 feet away if you pointed and held the unit towards that spot.  Press the turbo button and the leaves went flying.  It was almost too much power if you are trying to blow the leaves into piles to bag.  Perfect if you are trying to move the leaves down from one end of your yard to another.

For bagging management, I found that I had to play a bit with the speed control to lower the speed so that the leaves lifted and rolled rather than being blown everywhere.  The unit has a spin up and spin down time from when you pull the trigger.  This can take some time to get use to but once you get how it works, then you can pulse to get a bit more control over the flow of air and the movement of the leaves.

Down to the nitty gritty of it.  The blower doesn't give you as much control as a rake.  I could ge the leaves into general piles but they were far larger than I would have with a rake or want for bagging.  That said, with wet leaves on the ground, I got them moved off the section of the front and onto the boulevard so that I can bag them into the brown bags with a bit of work with a rake or pull out the bagging lawn mower and get them up with little problem.  It took me 15-20 minutes to get the job done, where with a rake it would have been at least 2-3 times longer and far far far less enjoyable.

I am toying with the idea of trying the Torro Ultra Blower/Vac to see how the vacuum part works.  I don't think I would want to try using it as my only blower as the EGO does just too good a job with the freedom of a battery.  It just doesn't suck up.  My experiment will be to see if I can figure a way to simplify getting the leaves into the brown paper bags easily.

Also.  If your cat does walk past you when you have the blower.. don't turn and hit the turbo button.  it will freak the cat out and probably remove one of the nine lives.  
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

• 5,476 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 34,438 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Matt, congratulations on "finally" getting your hands on not one but two different EGO blowers.  Too bad the backpack blower did not fit you well, but understand its "limitation" on your body type.  That said; I was "super close" to buying the 530 CFM but was concerned with the "hand fatigue" issue. Which was why I went the "direction" of the backpack instead.  In either case, you can't go wrong with both models, since they both have "more than adequate" MPH & CFM ratings for any yard work. Good luck with your experiment on the Toro Ultra Blow/Vac!
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

In my experience with the LB5300 is the unit is quite light but more important is the balance.  I think for most that fatigue comes from pulling in one direction or anther on the arm.  

I will admit that I am not using the unit like most in I have been blowing the leaves into piles to get raked up into brown bags.  The test with the larger LB6000, as I didn't have many leaves on my yard, I went across the street to a couple of neighbours and blew their leaves.  I spent about 45 minutes working.  There is no real arm usage with the larger unit as it's connected to the backpack.  I found that you really do need to take the time with the backpack to get it to fit right on you.  I could not get the upper chest strap to fit with the size of my upper chest.  Again, I was not doing blowing at full power like I gather most who just want to get leaves and debris to blow down the property.  I was constantly going up and down in speed to try and blow the leaves into piles.  At a lower setting, there is negligable kickback. 
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If I only have a little bit to do I just put the strap on my right shoulder only which is how I carry my computer backpack.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,800 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Do you run them both off of the same battery ?
And do you control the blower with a mouse or do you have a touch screen on the laptop ?
(Edited)
Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 1,748 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I run both laptops on my 1000w powerdrive hooked up to a 92 ah deep cycle battery. Trying to figure a way to downsize a little. Touch screen and mouse on the Toughbook only. If I could use my blower battery that would be awesome.
(Edited)
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

So the leaves in my back yard are really starting to come down now.  I went out this past Thursday and used the blower to gather round the leaves into piles and got a large paper yard waste bag packed full.  

Come Saturday and it looked like I had done nothing.  There were twice the amount of leaves on the ground and a rather unhappy wife inside because I had said I had cleared the leaves and it didn't look like it.  So I got the blower out again but this time I got my 12 year old daughter to give me a hand.  She decided that she was going to use the blower and I would do the picking up of the piles.

I will admit that it took twice the time to get the job done had I just done it all by myself with the EGO, but I got ZERO complaints from my daughter about having to do this chore, and even got asked on Sunday if she could go out and blow more of the fallen leaves up again.

If that isn't a glowing approval then I don't know what is.  When your kids are asking to do chores because it's so much fun then it must be a fantastic product.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
So when do you plan to show her the rest of your Ego tools? :-)

Agreed, that blower makes things fun!
Photo of matt.mackinnon

matt.mackinnon

I only have 3, and will like to get her using the trimmer in the spring time.  Don't expect her to get much use out of the chainsaw.

Now if someone would like to spring for the $800 CAD to get me a lawnmower for Christmas then I am pretty sure that she could use that one as well
(Edited)
Photo of Bronson

Bronson

• 394 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's $900 now..
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
That's the snowblower, he was talking about the mower. :-)