grass height

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I love the mower but the grass height range is way too low.  I replaced a toro that had a wider range.  I live in a semi arid location and watering is controlled.  Your lowest cut level... I can see dirt.  Your highest level is not much taller than a putting green.  Can you provide bigger diameter wheels or a straighter cutting blade to get me .5 or 1.0 inch higher?  We have watering restrictions and my grass is drying out.  I just returned a Kobalt mower for the same reason but I want to keep yours... I may just wrap a ton of tape around the wheels for this reason... ha, thanks.
Photo of William Rutherford

William Rutherford

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi, William. Thanks for your question. The ideal cutting height will vary by grass type, time of year and growing conditions. During drought conditions, it is recommended that grass be kept at the tallest height within the recommended range; it sounds like you are trying to do just that. Common turf grasses have recommended cutting heights that range  from 1.5 inches to 3.5 inches. The highest setting on our mower is 3.5 inches, so, in theory, you should be fine. Please double check that you are setting the mower at the highest of its 5 settings. We do not have alternative wheels or blades, so if the problem persists, please call Customer Service at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) 8:30am – 8:00pm EST (Monday – Friday) & 10:00AM -6:00PM EST (Saturday and Sunday).
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Dougherty

Michael Dougherty

• 70 Points
This is an untrue fact. Tall fescue is a common turf grass species that should be mowed much higher than 3.5 inches for increased drought tolerance. EGO simply appears not to want to support higher mowing heights since they have never addressed this longstanding problem.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,280 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There's no such thing as an "untrue fact." By definition, facts are true! ;)

My Ego has a maximum mowing height of 4 inches, so Ego has addressed this issue. This thread is five years old, and the post above concerns Ego's very first mower.

As far as the mowing height of tall fescue needing to be "much higher than 3.5 inches," this is from fescue.com:

In areas of it's adaptation, Tall fescue grass for lawns should be mown at a height of 3" to 3.5" leaving the grass clippings on the lawn. Mowing at this height will give the lawn an even textured finish. For athletic fields, mow to a height of 2 to 3 inches.

Mowing maintenance requirements for warmer areas include not mowing under 1-1⁄2 inches to keep the sod from drying out from the heat and losing too much moisture. Mowing too low will also cause tall fescue grass to thin out. Look for pest damage at the time of mowing. This is also an excellent time to inspect the lawn while mowing to notice changes in color, health and density.

(Edited)
Photo of Rick Patton

Rick Patton

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It is frustrating that in five years, EGO has been slow to address customer complaints on the deck height. Fescue lawns thrive if cut at 5-6” height. It’s not a debatable question. It’s a fact. Mine does, and so do others who have shared their stories with me. Setting 6 gets you all the way to 4”.

I’ve come up with a retrofit since EGO won’t address the problem. WW Grainger sells 1” wide polybutylene rubber strips that come in 1/2” thickness. They are self adhesive. Two windings gave me an extra 1” mower height. I ran speed screws into the wheels to hold them in place permanently. Because the strips are black, they look like part of the wheel. Problem solved. My lawn looks fantastic.
Photo of Steve

Steve

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I thought about adhesive strips too but seems they would wear off fall off easy. I took a while to figure out what wheel diameter I could increase to and still keep the mower level and I figured out it was 8" and 10". Home Depot / Lowes dont usually carry those but I found them on Amazon. The fit the axles perfect and have worked great 3 years now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K3A96G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DTTEEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I have Fescue, you only need to keep it between 3-4”. It is not fact that has to be more, where are you getting your information? Thank you so much Ken for that explanation it really helped even though this tread is like 5 years old.
Photo of Rick Patton

Rick Patton

My lawn is lush, and virtually weed free. If you keep it at 5”-6” you will be amazed at the difference. Of course, it will live at 3”. But it will be a struggle and look
Like every other crappy fescue lawn.
Photo of Rick Patton

Rick Patton

Hey STEVE. How’d you get the self propelled gear to work on the rear wheels?
(Edited)
Photo of Steve

Steve

sorry should have clarified this was not on the self propelled. not sure if they'd work on that or not
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,280 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good luck finding a walk-behind lawn mower with a 6-inch cutting height. I checked, and Honda, Toro and Husqvarna all top out at 4 inches. There was one model that topped out at 4.25 inches.

For one thing, a higher cutting height like that introduces safety concerns because it's so much easier to get your foot under the deck. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there are safety regulations mandating a maximum height.

There might be a push mower out there with a 6-inch cutting height but it is far from industry standard. Ego is right in line with the industry norm when it comes to maximum cutting height.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
My lawn is lush as well. All my neighbors are jealous of it and I keep it at setting 4 or 5.
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with William.  The cutting heights for the #1 and #2 positions are much too low to be usable on anything but an absolutely flat lawn with no irregularities.  These settings seem to be more for putting green use not your typical yard.  I can't use the #1 position at all because it will start cutting dirt and stops the mower.  The #2 position is not much better, shaving the blades of grass to about 1/4" above the ground.  Being able to set the wheels higher than setting #5 would be great in the next version (the one that's self-propelled, hint, hint).
Stan Fayfar
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 1,968 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Actually, that isn't true.  #2 is perfect for Bermuda in the south east here.  My grass is about 1.5-2" tall and super thick.  I actually wish there was a 2.5 setting because I would like it just SLIGHTLY taller, but 3 is too tall.
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, Eric, I should have qualified my response by saying that I'm in the upper midwest with mostly rye, fescue and Kentucky bluegrass for my lawn.  I didn't consider other grass types.  My apologies.
Stan Fayfar
Rockford, IL
Photo of CG

CG

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I keep mine at the highest setting and can tell you for sure that it is still too low. I replaced a corded mower and was able to keep the grass at a height that was suitable for hot weather with the old mower. I also was able to produce great lines at that height too. With the ego the grass dries out too easily and isn't tall enough to stay bent for nice lines. I would love to be able to set it higher. I would be willing to pay for an accessory that helps like bigger wheels or a different mounting. 
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Couldn't you just remove the spacer plate between the motor and the blade? Mine just falls off every time I remove the blade to sharpen.

Count me in for wanting a 1.5 and 2.5—3 is entirely too long for our Bermuda lawn and 1 takes out the roots. I am stuck with only one usable setting until some aftermarket blades come out.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Upon further investigation, any modification would only be able to lower the cutting height.  If you desire to cut at a height between two of the existing levels (i.e. 2.5, 3.5, 4.5) then this could be an option for you.

However you would have to shave down the plate to achieve any height increase above level 5.  Looking for larger tires would probably be a better route to go for more height.

Photo of Derek Smith

Derek Smith

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

I'm with you guys too. I need a 2.5 for my grass in Texas. 2 is too short in the heat and 3 looks like I haven't mowed in a week two days after I cut it.

(Edited)

All, we'd like to thank you for your input and the detailed explanations of your specific cutting challenges. All of your suggestions have been forwarded to our product development team for consideration.
(Edited)
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree, my St. Augustine in Florida needs to be cut about 1" taller than the maximum 3.5" ego allows. A straight blade option would help slightly. But they really need to design future versions for the max height to be 4.5"  this would also help for those of us who go on vacation from time to time and have to borrow a neighbors gas mower to cut it back down to where the battery version will keep up.

• 80,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Carl, we appreciate your feedback and have sent that along to our product developers for consideration on changing the deck height settings in the future.
Photo of ricky

ricky

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Mitchell
Hello everyone I live in Atlanta Georgia on the south side and i have Bermuda grass in my yard. i have been trying to you level 2 to cut but every time i try, it would start to cut but then stop because it seems like its just two low. Thus i can only use level three. It is about to be summer and i know that the normal cutting level for Bermuda grass should be about 2 inches. Any suggestions anyone. thansks
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Here in SC, yes it is HOT.  If I cut my Bermuda anything less than 2.5, it scalps it and it is basically brown until the leafs grow back.  The centipede that is mixed in could go 1.5 to 2 without a problem, it hugs the ground.  So I am sticking with 2.5 for now.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

The trick is to start is very low when it's greening up. With Bermuda, low = thick with lots of roots, high = thin with less roots. When it heats up and is dry, you have to raise the cutting height.

2 is perfect for a low cut at the beginning of the season, but it's too late for that now if you haven't cut it that low yet. In theory 1 would be good for Bermuda (it can handle .5" and is often .75" fairway turf), but you have to have very even ground with no dips or cutting that low will scalp the roots and ding up the blade. My yard isn't nearly even enough for cutting on 1, but I cut on 2 from April through May.

I am now cutting at a 2.5 (modified blade height set on 3), and will continue cutting 2x per week at this height until I miss a cutting and it grows too tall to cut that short or until the heat and drought prevent the lawn from keeping its deep healthy lush green. Never cut it above a [standard] 3, and end the season at that height for the winter, ready for the lower cut at 2 when it starts greening up the following spring.

I have never understood the people (in my neighborhood even!) that cut the same variety of Bermuda to a thin, sickly yellow 3-4" height.
Photo of ricky

ricky

Thanks David. I will keep the steps in mind. 
Photo of Rick Schoeneck

Rick Schoeneck

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree with Carl. I almost didn't buy this mower because I knew I the max cut height was only 3.5 and I need a minimum of 4 here in Florida. I just made my first cut and I love the mower so far but really need another 1/2 - 1 inch of cut height.
Photo of Samuel

Samuel

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
ditto, ditto on the max height being waaay too short. i was very frustrated to find out that the mower wheels seem to be proprietary and cant be swapped out for larger ones. is there any modifications that can be made to get a better height?

Hi Samuel, unfortunately, no modifications are available from us at this time, but we are aware that others on this community site are working on their own modifications that can be found here: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/adjustable_height_issues_possible_part_fix_replacement
Photo of Patrick Nguyen

Patrick Nguyen

• 60 Points
I have St. Augustine in Houston and would like a 4" cut. I thought about installing larger wheels, but came across an "instructable" site on retreading lawn mower wheels with used bicycle tires. Measure, cut and screw in. If I double thread with new tires, I should be able to raise it 1/2" each thread for a total of 1". Just a thought.
Photo of ricky

ricky

It is interesting to see that mostly everyone here is thinking or working on modifying the electric mower to help better mow their lawn. B UT I do not see where the manufacturer is helping to remodel or provide a better way for customers to use this equipment for their lawn... Why is that?

Ricky, it's not that we aren't doing anything about but we're sure you can understand that changes to a design take time.  We would never rush anything to market if it didn't meet our standards of "Power Beyond Belief".  We are listening and reading all of the suggestions and are taking everything into consideration for the future generations of the mower.
Photo of Jay Peterson

Jay Peterson

• 60 Points
Jennifer, I'm glad to hear that adding mower height is under consideration. I have not yet purchased an EGO mower, but have been very close, in order to replace my Toro recycler. I was just outside measuring and comparing my common mower heights. I live in the Midwest and like to mow high in the summer for a lush-looking lawn. I wish that the base height of the blade could be adjusted, as I have no need for the low end, and want higher than the highest setting. I'm probably going to stick with my Toro, just for this reason.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm sure there are safety and liability concerns when it comes to making certain type of alterations to something like a lawn mower.
Photo of ricky

ricky

Hi. Ken yes I am sure there are as well.. However I wonder if the customers who are doing all of these alteration to their equipment realize by altering their equipment to better their needs, their are also compromising their warranty....I personally believe that if one is having problems with their equipment s/he should contact the manufacturer and let them know so that they may be able to track what problem the equipment is giving.This way they can make the necessary modifications for future and current customers...
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's what forums like these are for. As you can read above, Ego is aware of the requests. I would bet that a future model will takes these comments into account.
(Edited)
Photo of Murray Harris

Murray Harris

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled speed control on self propelled lawnmower.

speed control seems fast to too fast, i have on lowest speed setting and have to walk quite fast to keep up
Photo of Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams

• 184 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Here in Texas, St. Augustine is the primary grass for lawns with any amount of shade. St. Augustine should be cut at 4 1/2-5 1/2" high for best performance and drought tolerance. If you don't sell mowers with higher minimum cutting heights, then perhaps you could offer a wider-diameter wheel adapter kit to get the cutting height up to the optimum level.
Photo of Eric Cappa

Eric Cappa

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
St augustine grass in fl, we need higher 4" to 5" cuts and./or a wheel kit please
Photo of Steve

Steve

EGO slightly increase the max height but it is still just too low. I took a while to figure out what wheel diameter I could increase to and still keep the mower level and I figured out it was 8" front and 10" rear. Home Depot / Lowes dont usually carry those but I found them on Amazon. The fit the axles perfect and have worked great 3 years now!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K3A96G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DTTEEM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,542 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am 73 years old and I never saw or heard of anyone cutting their grass at six inches, no matter what type of grass they have.  That is a half a foot.  If you had a sprinkler system you would need at least 8 inch pop up sprinklers to water the lawn.  I went on the rainbow site and could not find any 8 inch sprinkler heads.  I guess there is always a first time lol.