Grass Not Going into Bag

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
When I pull the mower backward, some of the grass do not go into the bag. A lot of grass stay on the lawn and on the left side of the mower. Is there a fix for this? See photo.   

Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,282 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Interesting. I find my mower actually sucks up the grass better when I pull the mower.
A couple of thoughts. How wet is the grass? Needs to be pretty dry. Mostly referring to moisture on the blades of grass. Is the underside of the mower fairly free of buildup? Blade pretty sharp? Bag not full? Perhaps some grass is getting on the trailing shield and falling off as you go? 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

And it looks like it from your picture but just to confirm you aren't trying to cut more than 1" off at a pass? The mowers definitely struggle with cutting longer lengths all at once.
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

The grass is dry and the height is in the middle. This is a dual battery mower and the bag is empty.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 101,626 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If it does not happen when going forward, then stick to mowing while moving forward.
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

Not so with competitive mowers. You have to move the mower around including backwards at times.  What's the fix to this?
(Edited)
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Mow forward over the area where the clippings are left behind would be one thing to try.  
As I mentioned earlier, is the underside of the mower pretty free of grass buildup? 
Photo of Al Davison

Al Davison

There is no grass build-up underneath the mower. Thanks.