How to make grass height adjustment?

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Just picked up a new Ego mower and I cannot change the grass height adjuster. It seems to be stuck in place. Anyone else have this problem? Have solutions?
Photo of Hank

Hank

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David Holt

David Holt

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Not to be a smart alec...but are you pulling hard enough. It does raise the whole platform, so it does require a stouter pull.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

• 6,308 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hank, I have a new 20 inch non-self-propelled, so it might be different on other models, but I just tried the wheel adjustment with the mower in the up right storage position.   The wheel adjustment works in this position.  This position has the advantage of not having any loading on the wheels.  Even in that position it takes, as David mentioned above, a stout pull.  Try it in the upright position and if you still can't get it to move, I think you may have a problem.  
(Edited)
Photo of Carol Hawkins

Carol Hawkins

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks so much for the helpful tip, I was getting ready to pack it up and take back to the store before reading it.
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Glad it worked out for you, Carol.  Packing it up and hauling it back is no fun.  
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,510 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have the 21" model and it's always been real easy to adjust the height even with all 4 wheels down on the ground. As Egocentric says tilt the mower back so there is no load on the wheels and see how if you can adjust it that way. And, while you have it tilted back have a look to see if anything doesn't look right with the wheel height adjusters. Just in case.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'm sure this isn't the case, but do make sure you're pulling the handle out of the selection cogs before trying to adjust the wheels up or down. Sorry... just in case! :-)
Photo of Hank

Hank

Haha thanks everyone. Although I feel like an idiot when trying to switch it, none of those things have worked. May have to return this sucker
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Please give us a call before returning it (if you haven’t already). We might be able to save you a trip. 1-855-346-5656
Photo of Egocentric

Egocentric

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.  If they have a floor model at the store, give it a try so you can feel how it works.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff L

Jeff L

• 2,864 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Take the weight off it by lifting the rear handle, disengage the adjustment handle from its current position and slide the  handle to the desired position and engage new position slot.  Taking the weight off the wheels makes it much easier.  If that does not work, call customer service and leave a message, they will call back within 24 hours.
Photo of Jacquie

Jacquie

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I just purchased my mower last week and the height adjustment lever has been stuck in the no. 1 position from the start, and won't budge. I am using so much force to try and move the handle that I'm afraid I will break something - feels as though it shouldn't be this hard to maneuver.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Jacquie, and you are pulling the handle out toward the edge of the mower, hence out of the notch it sits in, and then trying to move it to the desired setting? Also, have you tilted the mower back so no wheels are touching the ground and tried adjusting them?
Photo of Jacquie

Jacquie

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I had pulled the handle out of the notch to then move up and down the track - it would move out, but not towards the front or back - I just played around with what you had suggested about the wheels not touching the ground, and it moved with ease!! So, a big thank you for that.  I tried again with all 4 wheels on the ground, and it doesn't move, so there is definitely something to this idea of lifting the wheels off the ground - thanks again, you just saved me from a lot of frustration :)  I may check out a floor model as Hank had done, to see if I'm dealing with a defect, though.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Yup, if it won't easily raise and lower with 4 wheels on the ground, you have a defective one for sure. My 21" push version raises and lowers with all 4 wheels down nearly as easily as it does with all 4 wheels off the ground.
Photo of Hank

Hank

Jacquie - I had the same problem. I was exerting so much force I knew something had to be wrong.
I went to a few stores to try the floor models and sure enough it's a defect. I returned mine for a new one and it works perfectly