Grass Bag Flaw

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
There is a small gap at the bottom where the bag meets up with the mower. I noticed this during my first use of the bag. The bag does not "seal" up tightly with the mower. Clippings were left all over my sidewalk. Is EGO aware of this and is there a solution?
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Reinstall the bag on the mounting rail. This happened to me the first time.

Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I use the bag every time I mow and there a few clippings when I remove the bag to empty it but other than that, I think it works very well.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,748 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have no problem with bagging, in fact I was pleasantly surprised because sometimes I think the mulching is a bit weak, thus I was thinking there wouldn't be enough lift.  I was wrong.  I don't bag during the hot growing season, only when I want to clean and mow (leaves, etc).
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Chris, as already mentioned, some clippings are bound to fall out as you remove the bag to empty it.  However, the rear discharge door should provide enough force to keep your bag nice and tight against your mower.  Let us know if you've tried to reinstall the bag as TK mentioned and if you are still experiencing issues.  
Photo of Tammy

Tammy

• 70 Points
I am having the same issue. Took the bag off and put back on. Mowed and no grass in the bag.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 62,814 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Tammy, is this the first time using your mower? If so, did you remove the mulching plug? It ships installed in the mower where the grass would blow into the bag.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,226 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It's got to be the mulching plug. It's impossible to not have any of the grass in the bag otherwise.

I don't bag very often, but my bag doesn't leak much at all until it's full.
Photo of Chris

Chris

The problem is not occurring when removing the bag after mowing. The problem is, while mowing, clippings are falling out of the bag due to the gaps in the bag. I don't know how else to install it--it appears to install only one way. I will post a picture of what I'm talking about in a few hours when I can get to the mower.
Photo of Tammy

Tammy

• 70 Points
Same here!
Photo of Chris

Chris

Jennifer, here are the pictures. You can see in the top picture the gap that exists between the fabric of the bag and the frame of the bag. And the picture below shows the bag installed and the gap that exists.

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Chris, unfortunately, that is the design of the bag and we feel that you will continue to see the minute grass clippings escape from there.  We have taken your feedback to our product development team and will continue to research this for a possible change in the future.   Thanks for taking the time to write in.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris

Chris

Thanks Jennifer. 
Photo of mauricebiggers

mauricebiggers

• 60 Points
I just used my lawnmower for the first time and I’m with Chris, I have more clipping sprayed on me and all over the mower than staying in the bag. Same gap as well. Xavier
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 56,242 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wonder if the bag isn't correctly installed on the frame for the bag or if you aren't connecting it to the mower correctly? Got to be something like that because mine never spews clippings unless the bag is full. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 90,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There is a small little area where the bag actually hooks on.  It is not obvious when you first look at it.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,622 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Only problem I have is that I fill up the bag quickly and it’s heavy. I just text my wife to come empty it.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 768 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ummm, you're just kidding. Right?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is this gap the only place where grass is escaping to end up on the sidewalk? I used to bag all the time before I realized how bad bagging is for the health of the lawn, and even the $800 gas mower I used back then still didn't capture 100% of of the clippings in the bag.

Even if the bag were perfectly sealed, some clippings would still fall under the mower. Sweeping or blowing off sidewalks, driveways, and patios after cutting the lawn is pretty much unavoidable.

Perhaps you could move somewhere windy enough that the clippings blow into the neighbor's yard before you have a chance to clean up?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

My top of the line Honda use to have so much lift that the clippings and dust would always find small areas of the bag to blow the stuff out.  There is no mower that will get 100% of the clippings.   Even then, I just used the blower to blow them back into my lawn  :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think you just pulled the cover off of Ego's secret plan... use a messy mower to drive up sales of the leaf blower. DOH! I fell for that one too!!! :-)

Seriously though, if the bag on Chris' mower is leaving any small "clumps" of grass I could see it being an issue. If it's just the odd blade or two that flies out I don't think that's much of a problem. I've never used the Ego mower bag so I'm not familiar with any issues it may have. The only issue I have is how much space it takes up in my basement.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Nice combo deal.  Wouldn't hurt to market the two together.  It seems most people who get the mower, eventually get the blower.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

It's a lawn, not a carpet!