Got the Chainsaw, initial impressions. Pictures to follow

• Praise
  • Updated 5 years ago
I received my EGO Chainsaw. I just wanted to point out some things after using it a tiny bit and letting it sit for a week.

1. Run time on the 4ah battery is hard to judge, because it will drain quicker under heavy load, just like the mower. I used it for about an hour, on and off and battery was fine, this is good, very good. It has a ton of torque and melts wood. You can make quick of a decent sized tree and have charge to knock out another.

2. It's definitely a gas replacement, with a 4ah battery in it, it weighs more than I can handle for a one handed reach out cut. A tiny bit easier with the smaller battery. It's bigger and much more substantial than I've seen for a battery chainsaw, and will out cut any other on the market.

3. Not a toy. Built VERY well, and solid. Putting on the chain and adjusting the tension is a tool free job, and it works perfectly. Amazing other companies haven't taken this approach. A simple wheel adjusts the bar tension and you tighten the cover plate with a hand turned knob. Elegant.

4. No more having to manually oil the chain, no bubble on the cap. It auto lubes the chain, and does it well. After using it, I let it sit in a pan for a week and only had a few drops of bar oil, I did not drain the oil out. Other chainsaws I've used can leave a small puddle, and that can be a mess. So it passed the oil leak and auto lube test with flying colors. It uses a proper amount of oil and make sure you done run it dry.

5. Bar and chain are solid, chain is very good quality and sharp, as it should be. Able to cut 14" to 18" trees without any effort, the weight of the chainsaw does the work.

6. Overall build quality seems better than any other of their products, I see this being a 10 to 20 year tool with normal use. Controls are not thin and cheap. I don't see them breaking.

7. Noise? Different pitch but seems about as loud as the mower. Quiet enough to mess with it in the house without bother. So yes, it's quiet.

8. Starts on first try. No pull string blisters and pulled backs, Nuff said about that!

Notes: I would not recommend this for an elderly person or someone who cannot handle a full sized chain saw, both in weight and size. I'm a big guy and found this to be quite substantial to hold. Not good for pruning and small work, this is a bit too big for tiny jobs. I use a small bar chainsaw for pruning, or even my battery operated reciprocating saw with a nice big blade, you would be surprised how quick you can finish a large amount of pruning with a reciprocating saw.

Summary: This is exactly what I need for my real tree work. Long run times and easily replaces any gas equivalent. It's better than I imagined. It would make a no brainer tool for natural disasters, as there is no need for gas, and with a few batteries you can work most of the day. No worries wondering if the darned thing will start when you need it most, now that is security.

It is extremely hot here in South Carolina, I think we are just now getting our summer. When it cools down a bit I will be creating some videos and posting pictures of it in use.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • excited

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Nice review. I can't wait to get mine, now that its available without battery for 200 at hd. I feel they should have targeted the tree climbers and made this much smaller. Its like they made it to be a 16" saw, not a 14" pruner.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'm sort of in the middle Jacob, I like the heavy duty aspect, maybe release a smaller version for pruning that can also be mounted on a bar.  I've tried using a small pruning chainsaw for larger jobs and just end up tired and frustrated at how long it takes.  I've tried using a larger chainsaw like this for pruning and I can't do it well because of the size and weight.  With the power, I think they could go with a 16" Oregon bar and chain.  It works that well.  I wish I could send you a PM (private message).
Photo of Luc Banks

Luc Banks

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just tried the 14" ryobi 40 volt and am taking it back. Did 6 cuts on a 12" tree and battery died. I did not force it. Let the saw do the work to not overload it so I was not impressed. Hope this has a bit more run time. The tree was dead and very dry too. Took 3 charges to get the 1 tree cut up for the fire. Will this make me happy you think?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Good morning Luc,

I tried the Ryobi Plus+ smaller one and the charge lasted a long time, but the chainsaw was so slow and small, it was worthless.

With the EGO chainsaw and 4ah battery, you would NOT have that problem.  It has been far too hot here in SC for me to do tree work.  I just won't put myself through 95 degree torture.  When the temps fall, I have about a dozen 40' lelands I have to tackle, along with 4 larger oaks.  I will test both batteries.  The EGO one ships with the smaller 2ah one which is a bit lighter.  I am curious as to the run time on it. 

Using the mower, on a 4ah batter, I can get close to 45 minutes, enough to cut my lawn and my neighbors (elderly couple).  With the 2ah, I can get about 15 minutes.  So the difference in run time on a high draw device is substantial.

Yeah, the Ryobi was a good, in stock option at the time I tried it, but it sure as heck went back.  It also leaked bar oil in puddles.

(Edited)
Photo of Luc Banks

Luc Banks

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am looking forward to your update. I am thinking that buying bare tool and buying 4ah bat will be the way I go. I don't care about extra weight. Just give me longest run time. It should come with the bigger one since it's a high draw like the mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I do agree with you about the battery. I have 2 2ah battery's and chargers I'll never use. Learned my lesson. Purchased an extra 4ah battery and I can literally go non-stop, because as one drains, the other is charged, and they last a long time.

Next week it is supposed to cool down. I have a few house projects to wrap up, then, I will give the chainsaw a farmers workout. Thanks for your comment. Wish EGO would just drop the 2ah battery all together. The other tools feel great with the 4ah battery, good balance. EGO customers seem willing to spend a little more to get the best, so I think it could work.
(Edited)