Getting familiar with your EGO battery and charger

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

First, here is a video that explains the battery.  

Here is an informative video on "How to charge your EGO leaf blower battery".

Photo of EGO Power+ Guru

EGO Power+ Guru, Official Rep

• 1,104 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Dean D

Dean D

• 492 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
How long can the battery stay in the charger when done?
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Dean, the battery can stay in the charger as long as you'd like.  The charger will shut itself off once the battery is fully charged.  It will not overcharge the battery at all.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Also, if the battery is left on the charger for longer periods (30 days or more) the battery will enter a "long term storage" mode where it self depletes to 30% capacity. This system is designed this way to keep the batteries from suffering the same fate as so many laptop computer batteries, which are often left plugged in for most of their lives and are constantly being topped off to 100% charge state. This is very hard on the cells and leads to an early demise.

Ego's system is very advanced and, as far as I'm aware, unique in the market.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I wasn't aware of that blue, and that is some good news. How long has that been the case, I know that there was some guy who had a yellow icon and worked on RC airplanes with Li-ion systems and he said that after was it 4 or 8 months or whatever, the battery lost 17% of its capacity after being left fully charged all the time.  I think the time should be shortened to a week or better yet, storage mode should be a switch.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Oh, also the proper term is "Amp hour".
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The impact of keeping a lithium cell fully charged will depend on what the system puts into the cells and considers a 100% charge. If the OEM manufacturer of the 18650 cells specifies 4.20v as the absolute maximum voltage, then charging them to and keeping them at 4.20v for extended periods will damage them exponentially faster than charging them to 4.10v and implementing a partially depleted "Storage Mode" after 30 days.

One of the Ego vs Echo videos on YouTube showed the Echo battery charged slightly higher than the Ego, even though they both are 14 cell battery packs. If the max voltage spec on the cells is the same, the Echo implementation will be stressing the cells more.

One could always argue that there are different/better ways to do it, but for most people who don't want to study the practice of maintaining Li-Ion cells I think Ego has a very solid 90% solution. It is certainly FAR better than any other cordless OPE battery/charger system I'm aware of, and completely removes the guesswork for he typical owner.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Yeah, the Echo 58V bothers me all the time. That is also why Greenworks creating an 82V lineup bothered me. Toro 48V has a storage mode switch on its chargers that I think EGO should put such a switch onto its batteries. That too removes the guesswork and much more degradation. I might actually post that as an idea.
Photo of Charles Parker

Charles Parker

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have two batteries a 2A and 4A -  both were left in a charger over the winter.  When I used them they depleted really fast -  popped them on the charger and they charged -  seemed really quick -  they show green light when on the mower -  the mower starts but dies after about 10 secs.  still show green but not working.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Charles, are both batteries behaving the same in the mower? How about other tools?

The batteries should have self-depleted to 30% capacity while in storage, which may explain the short initial run time.
Photo of Saleh Kashem

Saleh Kashem

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue, need to know I can recharge, I left it over night on the charger still doing the same what charles said...it stays green and after putting it on the mower it dies in 10 seconds...
Photo of Charles Parker

Charles Parker

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Found the problem. It was the lock on the handle arm extensions. The right one was not locked in place so when I started to push the mower it would stop... All works fine now and it was a doohh moment ..
Photo of Saleh Kashem

Saleh Kashem

thank you Charles for the update but in my case it is the problem with the battery, it starts to blink rapidly in red. but when I put it on the charger it shows solid green on the charger 
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Saleh, please call us and we can sort this out together. 1-855-346-5656
Photo of Saleh Kashem

Saleh Kashem

Thank you Amber,

I called and I spoke to CS but I am heartbroken how I was treated by them, I will never buy EGO or recommend anyone again to buy.....I did not have the proof of purchase because I bought it from a local small shop not HD and EGO denied my valid warranty rights. My battery was manufactured in 2016 and it is still within 3 years and I was denied the chance to get a replacement and was treated very rudely by the lady her name was "Igo" I would say. I asked to talk to the supervisor but the supervisor was too busy to lend me any help. Dora the lead SV later left me a message. saying I bought from a "non-authorize dealer" and I am just mad that you guys are bought by HD and trying to undermine people who bought from other outlets.

Thank you for listening.

Take Care

Saleh
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Very sorry to hear this, Saleh, but thank you for letting us know. Totally understand your frustrations, however, we simply do not warranty secondary market items. This is because we can no longer guarantee the quality. That said, we are going to follow up on this, as our agents should always be as friendly, polite, and professional as possible. 
Photo of Saleh Kashem

Saleh Kashem

thank you for your "feeling sorry" but the logic you said that you can no longer "guarantee the quality" is baseless at the best and stupid at the worst.it is built by EGO and it is guaranteed for three years regardless of who sold it, this is what happens when you sell your soul to big guns like Home Depot and you will realize the consumer don't like this choice. They like to be able to buy from anywhere and be guaranteed regardless who the re seller is, when you remove the separation between a re seller and manufacturer it is manipulation to highest level it immoral and unethical. I feel sorry for you because mark my words you will be out of business very soon if you do not honor your warranty and drive the consumer away from you.
:-('
Photo of Saleh Kashem

Saleh Kashem

the rep I talked to was Gio not Igo....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.