Gasoline Supply Crisis

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Front page of the Atlanta newspaper today:

Sure glad I'll still be able to mow my lawn this week after pouring my 4 gallon gas can into my car!

All the lawn service crews sitting around the parking lots of gas stations that don't have gas really makes you wonder how well Ego commercial equipment could be selling right now! If only there were a good ready-made mobile charging solution...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Holt

David Holt

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Wouldn't a decent size power inverter work?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,012 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Possibly, but certainly only for charging a single battery at a time, and the inverter would need to be rated for at least 1000w.

What is the power draw of the chargers? I'm trying to install charger in my truck with a power inverter for a car.
https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...

I can't picture a yard crew using 20" mowers, unless as a very last resort if absolutely no gas was available anywhere for an extended period. But using 15" string trimmers and backpack blowers seems pretty viable. But even with just 2 batteries in use they would need at least 2 charging on rapid chargers to swap out. So you would probably need an inverter connected directly to the battery at a minimum.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,118 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Rooftop style PV panels are up to 300W in good light. Four of them would easily fit on top of a pickup truck roof rack, maybe even six if the rack was extended over the cab.

Rapid chargers are rated for 560W I believe, so four panels could easily power two rapid chargers on a sunny day. No idea how they would stand up to driving vibrations.

Inverters could be used to power chargers while driving between jobs. If the crew used a gas tractor or zero turn, an alternator based charging system could charge batteries for trimmers/blowers while mowing.