Future Battery Design: USB Port for Emergencies

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Implemented
Wanted to toss an idea your way...with future revisions of the battery, add a USB port (perhaps covered with a rubber stopper for weather protection) and whatever tech needed to allow it to charge mobile devices. That way in the case of severe weather, the battery could be used as an emergency charging station for phones. This would be a HUGE benefit for those in hurricane risk areas.
Photo of Mike in Pitt

Mike in Pitt

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,962 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for the suggestion, Michael! This is definitely an idea we're exploring, so please stay tuned. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Amber with another news flash !!
Photo of snowguy

snowguy

• 438 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Use battery to recharge phone?.

I have 4 batteries from ego for 3 products (trimmer, backpack blower & snow blower). They are charged and I estimate I use something once a month all year long and often almost weekly depending on the season. I would love the ability to use one of these batteries as a store for power that I can tap into with my phone either because the power goes out or because I am going camping. Think of it as a poor man's version of http://www.goalzero.com/p/424/goal-zero-yeti-1400-lithium-portable-power-station

But in a lot of ways it would be better for me because I hate depending on a battery solution I almost never use. 

1) Do others think this product makes sense? Let's hope Ego creates it.

2) Assuming ego doesn't ever make it, is this something I could do on my own by buying some parts on the Internet and putting them together? Any suggestions on how to go about that?
Photo of Paul Hogue

Paul Hogue

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
On Friday afternoon, Lexington, Kentucky and surrounding areas were hit with power outages due to 70 mph straight line winds from quickly developed storms.  More than 60,000 lost power locally, and tens of thousands more across Kentucky lost power as well.  It would have been great to be able to use that fully-charged Ego battery for charging phones, or as power for a small fan, or other devices. Love my 21" self-propelled mower, by the way. 
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Ego makes a power inverter for that with an AC plug. Connect an ego battery to the inverter and you have ac 110 power. Would be a great idea to have this on the battery itself for charging purposes. Unfortunately I doubt it will happen though. A bit of a redesign to the battery with extra software inside the battery itself to properly power the USB port(s).