For all those that want a bladed edger

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Planned
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Bladed Edger

If your waiting for Ego to make an edger, its been over a year. That's one of the reasons I went with Echo. Lots of attachments are available for their weed eater. Your not limited.
Photo of William Roy Hupert

William Roy Hupert

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hopefully the posters here will eventually get the point that it's not happening any time soon and do what they have to do and go elsewhere to get a bladed edger.

I really like my mower but I refuse to go through another season only being able to mow at it's max height. If Ego sits on it's hands, it will be sold and I will go with another manufacturer who allows a 4" cutting height.
(Edited)
Photo of William Roy Hupert

William Roy Hupert

• 316 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Check out the Echo 58v, that's the one that I have
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 55,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William, this isn't an Echo support forum.  While I like your enthusiasm, I don't think its appropriate to push a competitors product.  It's OK to compare.
Photo of JoeJ

Joe

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
While I realize the experience and results will be different for everyone, I personally can't see myself ever investing in a bladed edger.  It's just too easy to flip the EGO string trimmer (which is really light) onto its side and use it for my edging needs (rather than pulling out another tool for the job). 

I realize that for edging a dedicated edger will always be better than a trimmer, but as long as I keep my lawn's edges in maintenance mode a string trimmer does more than well enough for me.  And if the edging ever got neglected too long, a $20 manual edging tool does a nice job of getting things back on track.

If EGO ever provides a wheel attachment for the existing trimmers that I can carry around in my pocket while working on the lawn, that would be useful just to eliminate any edging mistakes.  Until then I just try to be extra careful and give the edging the time and attention it needs.

Actually, I have a small section of pavement that currently pushes up above the grass line thanks to a tree root (sigh), so a rolling edger of any type is out of the question in that area.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 55,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
With warm weather grasses, a string trimmer doesn't do the job.  I would hate to have to hand edge my whole driveway, curb and flower beds.  A string trimmer just slaps around the talons (vines) like Centipede and Bermuda.  I'm vested in EGO, at least for the next 3 years, so I won't give up hope.

I'll admit I'm getting a little anxious for EGO to expand their tool line.  They've got the best battery in the industry, now it's time for them to take a gamble and release a few new bare tools.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Nothing beats a bladed edger for a consistent edge on St Augustine grass. My guess is that we will see an Ego bladed edger before the next mowing season.
Photo of JoeJ

Joe

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I get around the slapping problem (I'm down in the south as well) by keeping the trimmer speed high and edging the grass in the opposite direction of the trimmer's head rotation.  That seems to result in cutting more than pushing the runners around (especially if I have it angled correctly).

Ironically, I actually have more issues with slapping runners around when using the trimmer as an actually trimmer near the fence (where I have to keep the spin speed slow or risk chewing the wood on the bottom of the fence to pieces).  That (the fence damage) might have more to do with the line's specs (or my fence just sucks).
(Edited)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I have a Ryobi 24 volt cordless dedicated blade edger with a 9" blade that I picked up at Home Depot. It does a decent job and I will continue to use it until Ego comes out with a bladed edger so I don't have a separate battery and charger system to deal with.
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I 'm not pushing another brand directly but I still have my old Ryobi 40 volt trimmer. Had to use it in a pinch last week. It's a string trimmer with a wheel attached. It still does an excellent job of edging.

I owned the Ego 15" trimmer a while back and it seemed as if the two lines were fighting each other when I tried to edge with it. Could not make a straight line with it at all. Had to return it.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,088 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I am pleased to confirm that we will have an edger option available in North America next spring. Pricing and exact date of availability are still under wraps for now. Be on the lookout for sneak peeks from some of our blogger friends like Tools in Action in the coming weeks. We will be offering a multi tool featuring interchangeable heads that include: an edger, brush cutter, hedge trimmer, pole saw and a string trimmer.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.