flow rate for automatic oiler on chainsaw?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
A question for chainsaw owners: what is the flow rate of the automatic oiler on your chainsaw?  When I first got the unit it was visibly spraying oil off the chain when I ran it.  Now it is not doing this.  There is definitely some oil being delivered and is visible on the inside of the chain.

Is there a problem with the oiler since it is no longer spraying, or was it not supposed to be doing that?

Thanks for the help.
Photo of bruce

bruce

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Bruce, sorry for the delay in our response.  There are a couple conditions that could affect your oil flow rate.
1. No oil in the reservoir or a very low amount.
2. Not using the right viscosity of oil.  Be sure to use bar and chain oil.
3. Clogged oiler or in the vicinity of the oiler.  Be sure to clean out dust and debris that may be blocking the oil from reaching the chain.

If you find that your chainsaw is no longer oiling the chain at all, please let us know.  You are covered by our 5 year warranty on your tool and we will do what is necessary to make this right.
Photo of bruce

bruce

Thanks for your response.  I have done 1, 2, and 3.  There does seem to be some oil flow as I am having to refill the reservoir after some use, but I can't visually see any oil on the chain.  As I said before, originally I could visibly see oil splashing off of the chain end when running.  Is that the norm?  If so I might need some remediation.

Thanks.

-bruce
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,726 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bruce,

Let me tell you about my results with the auto oil system.  I've found it very comparable to the other chainsaws I have owned.  When in use, it can "spray" when new, as the flow rate is a bit high.  Better high than low.  As the inner mechanism gets dirty, the flow normalizes.  I try to keep it better than half full at all times when in use, and I also "prime" the chain on first use by pouring a little oil on the top of the bar/chain, then running slowly until it lubes up the entire bar area.

Flow rates will vary because of debris build up inside the area the screw on cover protects.  You can keep the flow acceptable by keeping this area wiped out.  I'm not talking about a thorough cleaning, but clean.  If the gunk that builds up in that area is sticky and oily near the oil outlet, then it's working as it should.  If the debris is dry with no oil, then the port may be blocked.  

All chainsaws exhibit the same sort of behavior and the EGO is no different. Another thought.  If you store it on a pan, with sufficient oil in the tank, after a week check the pan, there should be some oil on it from the natural dripping.

I hope this gives you some insight from another EGO Chainsaw user.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,550 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I might add, from a non Ego chainsaw user mind you, that an insufficient oil supply to the chain would surely result in reduced cutting performance and increased motor overload incidents.

The chain-on-bar interface is one of dry metal on metal in the absence of oil. The tool regulates power to keep chain speed consistent under load but can only do so much.

I'm not familiar with the Ego saw's oiling system, but it sounds like it's gravity fed. If so, and there are concerns with low oil flow, keeping the reservoir closer to full will increase the flow rate.

I like SCDC's approach; running the saw at low speed before cutting to get an idea of oil flow. I would add to that a periodic check after a certain length of time spent cutting if going for long periods, just to make sure oil flow hasn't been blocked. Maybe every battery change/charge?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Yeah, definitely problems cutting when the blade is dry.  In fact it dulls and doesn't cut at all, it just rides on the wood.  Good point Blue.

Yes, it is gravity fed like most all chainsaws, so keeping the area behind the bar clear helps a lot.  I'm going to take a picture of my saw shortly to show how much oil builds up behind the bar.  Hopefully it will provide a good comparison.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Ok.  I took a few minutes to take some pictures and I'll explain what i'm looking at.

First picture.  This is on my pan after a few months.  Notice the oil does leak, this is normal and it should.  I do keep the oil tank above half full.  I would rather have oil leaking across the chain, than it not stay lubricated when in storage.  Another dry start issue.  

Here we see that upon removing the cap, the bar and cap show good lubrication.  Oil is visible on the bar and the cap area.  Remember that I have used this chainsaw A LOT, so oil buildup is natural.  Notice that the area is clean, but not immaculate.  

Next is a closeup of the chain, removed off of the chainsaw and placed back side up (side that faces the chainsaw body and up against the oil drip hole).  It is clearly oily and shows how well it works.  Look closely at the oil on the bar.  I like seeing this.  Remember, the chainsaw has sat in storage for a few months with a full tank.  This is normal.

Lastly I wanted to point out where the oil comes out.  I've only wiped the area with a rag now and then.  As long as the tank has sufficient oil, it does a good job of self cleaning.  If yours is clogged, you can probably get it cleared out by applying some air pressure at the fill cap long enough to push some oil out of the hole.  Like blowing up a balloon.  Heck, a balloon might just do the trick.  Get a good balloon, blow it up, seal it over the tank with the lid off, and hold it in place with a rubber band or something.  The gentle air pressure from the balloon into the tank should help push the oil gently out of the hole.  Bare in mind that there isn't much PSI in a inflated balloon, so it will have to be left on for some time.  Also, the oil viscosity is quite thick.

I hope this was some helpful information, and maybe entertaining to read.  Thanks.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,550 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great pics and nice explanation!
Photo of Michael Bileski

Michael Bileski

• 62 Points
I have Oiler issues with my ego saw; the Oiler stops working and chain is dry. Talked with an ego rep on the phone and he claimed I should only fill to 1/2 to get good Oiler pressure. Really frustrating trying to get help on this issue. I returned first saw for refund now it’s happening on my second. I love the tool when chain is working and oiled but it doesn’t seem to stay that way for long.
Photo of bruce

bruce

Ok, thanks for the replies folks.  Since I'm having to refill the oil, I expect it is working correctly.  There is definitely oil around the bar where it comes out, even though it is not noticeable on the chain itself.  

Cheers,

-bruce
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I think you should be good. I still highly recommend priming the chain/bar before each use by pouring a little of the chainsaw oil on it, then running slowly for about five seconds.

On a final note, make sure the chain isn't over tightened, this can cause added friction. Happy cutting.
Photo of Rob Young

Rob Young

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
My chainsaw is unusable after one use..........I used it one then stored it in my garage i then noticed about a week or two later a puddle of oil under the chainsaw. Now it will not cut anything or hold oil.....these products continue to let me down. for instance right now i am waiting on hold because the bumpfeed head on my 15" string trimmer broke........garbage quality product and i cannot recommend these to anyone
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Is the chainsaw literally not working? Some people have complained about oil leakage, but that doesn't mean the saw won't cut anything.
Photo of Rob Young

Rob Young

It will literally not cut anything. You can see burn marks on the wood where it's trying to cut it's very disappointing
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,590 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Seems like a dull chain. How much cutting time did you do the one time you used it? Did you verify the chain was getting oil while cutting?
Photo of Rob Young

Rob Young

About 4 hours of cutting time total. Yes the chain was getting oil. When this thing is stored now it loses all of its oil and puddles under the tool
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,908 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We're sorry to hear about your chain saw, Rob. That simply does not sound right at all. Please call us at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656), so we can trouble shoot this issue and take care of it.
Photo of Rowan Jubb

Rowan Jubb

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Occasionally a dudd happens, if you take a look at 99% of all ego comments are happy customers, sometimes it not the tool thats the dudd either. Ive been using ego products for a few years, the first chainsaw i bought was faulty, i took it back and they gave me another one straight away. Recently my dads ego chainsaw wasnt pumping oil, i took it apart and straight away could see the problem was a broken clear tube that connects to the the oil reservoir, i had something very similar in the shed so replace and cleaned oil that had leaked inside the tool and now it works like a new one, i think heat might have been the cause and dad not keeping oil topped up, anyway just thought i would post a little on here and it might help someone out, cheers ego, good stuff, from Sydney Australia.
Rowan
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 91,894 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Rowan
Good stuff
Photo of Ron Fisher

Ron Fisher

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a brand new 16 inch saw and too have oiler issues. I started using Stihl bar and chain oil but the viscosity is clearly too much for this saw. I was getting a dry chain very quickly. I was told by a friend that these electric's need lower viscosity oil, like motor oil. I went to a 15w-40 I had in the garage and the oiler works and doesn't sling oil.