Flashing green light on battery

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

I love my Ego products, I've been getting rid of my older tools in favor of these, but am I being too hasty?
I got the 575 cfm blower and string trimmer, the trimmer battery started flashing green all the time (a couple of weeks old and after only a few uses), Ego customer service advised me to exchange it at THD - Done.
Now, two days later, my blower battery is doing the same thing. Is there a problem with the batteries, I'm wondering if I should just start returning these items as I see a lot of trips to the Depot in my future at this pace... :( And I'm sure there is a limit to how many times these can be exchanged before being blacklisted.
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Seems that this green flash is a new issue. I have one that willl do that, but it goes away. I wouldnt let a flashing green light scare you off.
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

The first one, that I returned, flashed for a couple of days without stopping. This one just started but I'm not optimistic. Seems like it will just burn through the charge and prematurely kill the battery if not remedied.
I saw a comment on one of the forums that this is "not normal behavior" and it should be replaced. Just wondering how prevalent this is.. I'm 2-for-2 with relatively new batteries. I really want to love and trust these products but this is making it kind of difficult.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Mark, are these the 2.5 AH batteries?
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

The trimmer battery was 2.5, the blower is 5.0.

(a)Typical Engineer

Do you have multiple chargers?

Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

I do. I have primarily used only one, but I used the second one recently also.

(a)Typical Engineer

What might be helpful in diagnosing the problem is to make a troubleshooting log; label one of the chargers "A" and the other "B".  Did the CSR have you try both chargers before determining the battery is defective, or the source of the issue?  If the battery you returned exhibited the same behavior on BOTH chargers, that would be a pretty good indication that the charger is operating normally.  Before making the trip to HD, might be a good idea to try the battery on both chargers?

I have all my batteries numbered, and I rotate through my chargers on a monthly basis, if for no other reason than to verify they still work.

Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

The rep just said the green light was not good and it should be returned. Quick and easy. After it had started blinking, I tried using it, charging it, and waiting it out. Nothing altered the green blink. So I doubt that putting it on the other charger would have cured it.
I also labeled the batteries (with the date, not going to confuse the 2.5 AH and the 5.0 lol), and I rotate usage so they both get some action. Used in both the trimmer (and now second trimmer) and blower.
I agree there can be some variable that I'm missing, but it seems pretty straightforward and I'm disappointed that this issue has cropped up twice with different products so close together. Shaking my faith in Ego products, I really want these to be a long term solution for me.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Mark. Sorry, i wasnt saying its something you should just deal with, i was trying to say dont lose faith. It could have been part of the same lot possibly where a few. Boards had issues. With the probably hundreds of thousands of batteries out there, we havent heard of this that often. But you should have it replaced. But try to let ego do it so they can troubleshoot it. Returning to home depot may not help resolve the issue.
Photo of Mark Belstadt

Mark Belstadt

I wondered about that, the Ego rep said to exchange it at THD, and I gave them the info during the return but I'm not sure if the units go back to Ego for diagnosis or refurb.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I really hope they get refurbished. Because going green like this means that all aspects from start to finish need to be considered. Co2 reduction on our part is one thing. All parties need to ensure land fills are the last resort.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,038 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Mark, there have been a few other reports here about the blinking green light. It will eventually drain the battery so if it persists you have to get it dealt with. Looks like you won the lottery twice... lucky you!

I would certainly hope that exchanging a defective product wouldn't get you blacklisted with a retailer! I would be clear with HD that you're exchanging it per Ego's instructions and there shouldn't be a problem.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.