Battery flashing amber/overload?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

A few weeks ago I purchased the 21inch EGO push mower and loved it so much, then I found out that there was a SP option,  so I returned it to homedepo and purchased the SP. I have 2 cuts of light growth grass on the SP mower and the first cut I got the overload light and the mower stops the second cut, the mower cut out three or four times. This never happened on the EGO non SP model and I did at least three cuts or more on it. Any one else experience this?

its unfortunate because I liked the mower so much, I purchased the blower and 15in trimmer. Not sure what to do next.
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
There certainly seems to be an issue with the mower or battery.  If the 21" push mower cut without issue, the more powerful 21" Self Propelled model and bigger battery should do at least as well, if not better.

You can try giving Ego Customer Service a call and see if they can help you troubleshoot.

You can also try cutting with the smaller batteries that come with the blower and trimmer (assuming you bought kits and not bare tools).  The larger batteries will power the mower better than the smaller ones in high load situations, but if the smaller 2Ah or 2.5Ah batteries power the mower as well or better than the 7.5 that came with the mower, that's a pretty good indication that there's something wrong with the battery.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This is the first report I've heard of overloading on either 21" model. I constantly dealt with solid and flashing orange lights on my 20" mower, but the 21" SP just revs up higher and higher every time the grass gets too thick.

Unless you are cutting the thickest most overgrown grass known to man on the very lowest height setting while it is soaking wet then I would venture that there may be something wrong with your lawn mower.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Assume you are using the grass catcher. Also guess you have the standard blade, it doesn't have enough vacuum to pull the grass into the catcher and loads up the chute to the point where the blade is weighed down with grass. If that's the case, get the optional high lift blade or Home Depot has an all around blade with an airfoil that sucks the grass up very nicely. Get the 20" HD blade, it fits the 21 in EGO perfectly (EGO cheats on the blade size.) and comes with a set of adapters to fit any mower. You just have to choose the right one. EGO needs to deliver the mowers with a high lift blade but that makes the mowers louder due to the higher amount of air and air speed and now they can't advertise the stated noise db. Also give the blade a good sharpening; that helps a lot.
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

The grass was just cut 3 days prior it wasn't thick at all. Unfortunately my local HD has no stock, I ordered this from HD online. It too 10 days to arrive, so I'm not sure what to do. If I can't exchange  it I may return it with the trimmer and blower and wait until next year. Its too bad because the 21inch push mower was excellent.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You've got a bum unit (either mower or battery).  Simple solution: return the mower and get a refund at the store (all HD's will take Internet orders back).  Then re-order the SP online.  Yeah, it'll take another 7-10 days to get it, but what can you do if no stores have stock in your area?

I wouldn't wait until next year, at any rate!
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

I hesitate to reorder as I have to pay the shipping each time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

What about free in store pickup?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

HD shipping is free on all EGO products I've ordered.  Where are you at?
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

I'm in bc Canada and had to pay approx. 35 dollars shipping
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ah, that makes sense! I feel your pain! HD Canada charges shipping on many on-line items even if you want to pick up in store, which really sucks. US retail is so much more advanced than it is up here...

I would call your local HD and explain to them the issue. Ask them if they would simply do an exchange of the defective mower since you already had to pay shipping once. Never hurts to ask, right?

The 21" SP mower should be just as good or better than the push version, so there's almost surely something wrong with yours.

Let us know how things turn out.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Well, you guys get free healthcare; all of us yankees get free shipping at HD - not a bum rap, IMHO!  ;)

On a serious note, if you take your defective mower into any HD store and return it at the customer service counter, they will re-order you a replacement and you will not be charged for shipping.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

"Free" is a relative term, but I see where you're going with that. :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.