Fix for 480 CFM Blower( trigger safety)

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
People often or have talked how they wish the trigger didn't have a safety.. After all, what could be the worst scenario... You blow someone accidentally?

I've done this with the bail for my old mower.... A strip of good velcro you can buy at the home depot cut and wrapped around the trigger release.

This way it holds it so you don't have to! It really stays put.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
On the 480 cfm blower, ok, I see your point, though the safety never really crossed my mind. But on a lawn mower? Dude, you're living dangerously!
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Dangerously, I think not...

I used it on the gas lawn mower when I needed the engine to run when doing some repairs, when warming it up a little before an oil change so the oil would drain better, when wanting to run the fuel lines dry for long term storage, etc.

So no I never used the velcro when mowing the grass.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
On, so you held it down so you would not be wearing out your hands?
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Also, for the 480CFM blower, you could just take it apart and remove the safety lever entirely.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,032 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I sat across from the corporate safety manager at a company during an internship—he spent all day every day reviewing what led up to serious accidents. There was almost always a safety mechanism that had been overridden.

Do all safety overrides lead to injury or death? No. But if you get seriously hurt then there's a good chance you bypassed something that would have kept you from getting hurt.

Hindsight is 20-20... unless you lose an eye.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Removing it would be a hassle. But on your prior comment...

It wasn't to keep me from wearing out my hands, it was because I couldn't work on the mower with my hands while my hands were up on the end of the handle.

I've learned to be fairly efficient and think outside of the box when working on mechanical Things.. In my past I've been a driveability technician at a dealership, a mechanic at Sears Automotive Center, support on servers, workstations, networks at a large datacenter.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Technicians have to disable things all the time when working under the hood.

Sometimes I'd be driving around with the foreman while one of us at our bodies hanging out the side door trying to locate squeaks and rattles are new cars under warranties.

How about driving down the road with the engine Hood unlatched because you had hoses hanging out of it for test equipment?

The list goes on and on.

This is weird, a mechanic being advised on how to fix an engine. Really?

All I did was give a good idea on how to work around something that Ego has subsequently removed from their blowers. And complained about my other customers and professional reviewers online. Geez.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

hm. I've done a lot of work on the EGO and Kobalt blowers, I've taken both of them apart before, I've adjusted the harmonics of the Kobalt, I tried while lacking the proper parts to add a second fan to the EGO (without success), I've done a lot of work on these blowers. Because the Kobalt is so much easier to take apart, I'm going to put a Scorpion 1770W motor into the Kobalt and modify its circuitry to accommodate it. It will go from a blower rated at 750W to rated at over twice that with a 2 second turbo boost of 2200W.  That might make it blow 200mph instead of the normal 140 with its blower tube. The only reason I don't do that with EGO blowers is because they have higher tolerances and are extremely difficult to disassemble.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

KR, apologies, I read your initial post as using Velcro to defeat the bail switch on your mower while actually mowing. I didn't realize you were doing so just to facilitate repairs and maintenance.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

David I suppose you should add a safety switch to your 530 CFM Blower ( if you have one). Doesn't it run even faster and more Dangerously? After all, you wouldn't want to lose and eye.. as you said.

Obviously Ego does not consider it a safety issue. But yes people should not mess with safety features in general.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Thanks blue
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Hey Kid Rock, my comments are directed more toward others who may be reading that at you. It's easy to get in over your head without realizing it when you start bypassing things—that's all.

Reading about or seeing things on the internet makes us all think we know more than we really do, just enough to be dangerous.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

We ain't advising you on how to fix an engine. Then again, we also are not actually seeing with our own eyes what you're actually doing.  Blue and I just notice something along the lines of "disabled safety on a lawn mower" and got concerned. We haven't said jack squat about how you should do your job. I'm pretty sure I said "as long as you know what you're doing", and you apparently do.  I've just been stating facts.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Sorry DAVID (my comment) ... I'm just a little sensitive this AM.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

The atom.. Like I said I'm not having a good day... Not meaning to be sensitive.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

It's okay. Well, we're all here on the EGO Forum. If there is anything at all we can do to make being on this forum enjoyable, maybe we can help make your day better.  
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I know that SCDC is keeping tabs on this. Hey SCDC, I invite you to help on this. We'll try to speed up the arrival of your edger if you do :)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

The atom... SCDC has left the building... He is not on this thread... just trying to be helpful.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Yes he is. Look who's been liking my comments.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Oh come on... I was trying my best not to be drawn into another 100 page thread.  rofl.

About the 480 safety trigger?  I love my 530.  Does that answer it?

Atom, you had to say edger.  I was using my string trimmer to completely destroy the edges of my lawn yesterday  :-(.  I'm not buying an edger because my gut feeling is that by this time next year I will be plugging my 7.5AH battery into that bad boy.

Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Yeah, I'd bet a hundred bucks that EGO's gonna come out with one next year... and a pole saw.  And maybe a brush cutter later, maybe 2018. And maybe a riding mower in 2019. And maybe a car in 2033.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'd be willing to back up that bet..  (Jen, hope you and engineers are reading this).  :-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

What makes you think that you won't have a 20Ah backpack battery by then? or a 9Ah battery that looks just like your 7.5Ah? by the time you get that edger at this time next year?
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

You are killing me Atom... My wallet is going to disintegrate.  BTW, I'm trying to take more of a back seat to a lot of these threads, because it seems that once the point is made and EGO responds, there isn't a need to put fuel on the fire. 

Guess I'm just looking to be more helpful than argumentative.  I enjoy your posts.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Speaking of battery packs.  I don't know how much bigger they can get before the size causes a problem.  I'm thinking the 7.5AH battery is sort of the sweet spot. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I think Ego has a prototype for a backpack battery that is more than 20Ah—it's not announced for the US yet and I'm not sure if it's actually in production for any markets yet. But marketing photos exist if you dig around.

Edger, pole saw... almost like Ego just needs to come out with a power head with interchangeable tools!
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Pretty soon 3Ah cells are going to be mass produceable, so a 9Ah pack will be the same size as a 7.5Ah pack. Plus I think Jennifer is watching this, and what worries me is that when she responds, this thread will be closed :-(.
(Edited)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Hey David, I hear that Greenworks did that with their string trimmer, that it can be converted into a bladed edger. I don't know if that is true or not, but EGO should definitely do something like that, and I know that I'm not the first person to suggest that.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

9 Ah? I'm pretty sure they could do that anything. Right now it looks like they are using 2.5 Ah cells (2.5, 5.0 and 7.5 Ah batteries).

Check what cells are on the market... If they switched to the 3 or 5 Ah cells... Wow!

2.5 Ah battery becomes 5 Ah.
7.5 Ah battery becomes 15 Ah! And the same size cases!
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Hey Kid, is your day getting better?
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

18650 cells.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Th the atom... This thread is more fun!
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Well, they do need to be high drain 18650 cells, IMR, LiMn cells.  Did they start making 5Ah cells like those?
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Thank SCDC for that. And I told you so :)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I'm seeing a lot more 3Ah IMRs that can handle 20+ amps on Google shopping now than I did before. I think we're getting close.
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Oh this is my thread... Oops. I don't know about high drain or low drain cells. I didn't really think of the existence of one vs. The other. But I do know different chemistries have different abilities for high drain. I assume that's what you meant by the acronyms that you gave.

Are you saying that the cells in the current ego batteries are some kind of special high drain cells compared to most of the 18650 s out there?
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Battery questions... Overview...

https://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wh...
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Well, I'm gonna go clean up the side of my house now. I know I made my own day better here. Thanks for letting me drag you into a giant thread SCDC. I think this made everybody's day better.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Well, I'm gonna go clean up the side of my house now. I know I made my own day better here. Thanks for letting me drag you into a giant thread SCDC. I think this made everybody's day better.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

High drain 3Ah 18650 cells are already in production. Bosch has announced a 6Ah 18v Lithium pack that uses ten of them. Milwaukee has also announced an 18v 9Ah pack that uses 15 of them.

You need to keep in mind also, the more parallel strings of cells you have in a pack the less load per cell there is for a given pack output. For example, the 7.5Ah pack uses three strings of 14 cells in parallel (14s3p) so for an 18 Amp load each string of cells (each cell actually) will see 1/3 of that, or 6A. To produce that same amount of output, the 2.5Ah pack would draw the full 18A from each cell as it only has one string of 14 cells (14s1p).

Therefore it is less critical to have higher drain cells in larger packs with multiple strings.

Now in the case of increasing the capacity of an existing pack design, like going from the 4Ah to the 5Ah Ego pack, the cell arrangement doesn't change. In this case, the 2.5Ah cells in the 5Ah pack need to have similar discharge characteristics compared to the 2Ah cells in the 4Ah pack if performance is to stay the same.

This is the case with 18v power tool batteries... fixed form, increased cell capacity.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

I know, that's why I suggested a future 9Ah pack that looks just like a 7.5Ah pack.

That is also why I designed a backpack battery that actually uses ICRs, 10 strings.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Yeah, I have to agree (as I usually do) with Blue on this one, as long as you know what you're doing. EGO isn't liable for injuries caused as a result of safety features disabled by you :), but I assume you know that because that's just common sense.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I've just seen it mentioned in reviews too. But for me, I think I'm going to grow to like not having it.

Even Ego removed it on the 530 CFM Blower...

Recommendations from customers, reviewers and seeing the light I assume!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,760 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wow. Lets stay on topic guys. This is for a fix for 480 cfm blower(trigger safety) start a topic about battery discussion please.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

My idea wasn't to stay on topic, it was to make Kid Rock's day better, and batteries is where the thread went.  Good thing the fun had diminished before you got here :)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

It worked. I get into things like battery tech, light bulb technology, motor tech and it always feels good to read up or talk about cool lighting design...

4 lighting layers :

¬ Focal
¬ Task
¬ Decorative
¬ ambient

Fav book: Lighting Design Basics
(Mark Karlen/James Benya)

All this could be for another thread.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Well, you and I should have a blast. I've designed laser diodes that have adjustable wavelength before, I decorate my room with Christmas lights and am extremely particular about the reds, blues, and greens, I'll use the sun to fade the colors to very specific shades, I mess with motors pretty frequently... yep, it is definitely stuff I mess with.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Lasers, now that's something that has always interested me. I did concert light shows and designed club lasers, many years ago. It was a pain back then