First Mow of the Year NEED HIGH LIFT BLADE!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: duplicate

Well that was a beotch.  Grass still damp and too darn tall.  Mower kept red lighting on me when pushed.  Used the "mulch plug" and there's grass everywhere.  Had to stop and charge my 7.5 battery midway.  (Usually does both front and back with power to spare.

I'm a real ego fan and have had nothing but good to say about their mowers, but today I wished I still had my Honda to do that first mow thing.

Ease of mowing is probably the primary draw of this mower, but today was NOT easy. 

Leaves everywhere, and I'm about to drop an F-Bomb on this High Lift Blade THEY KEEP PROMISING EARLY SPRING.  WTF?????  I really needed it today because me and my son had to go over the whole back lawn and pick up leaves that were below the tips of the grass,.

WHERE IS IT EGO?????????????????????????????????????????????????

New products coming out, how about taking care of the ones we already have???  I'm far from the only person disappointed in lack of lift - that part of this mower in a huge disappointment - why don't you fix that by putting out the blade they've had in Europe for a long time???

This is ridiculous!

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,532 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What kind of grass were you mowing, and what setting did you have the mower at? 

The few times I've tried to mow damp/wet grass has been frustrating, and a mess.  I usually wait until a nice sunny day, if nothing else, it makes post-mow clean-up much easier.
Photo of Tom_Stolze

Tom_Stolze

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
From my research the High Lift Blade is for bagging, it will not help when mulching...The bottom line, raise it up all the way, only cut 1/2 the width of the mower and if you can in the future, don't let your grass get so tall.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Sunny days are rare in Oregon, a couple a week.  And I don't know what kind of grass I have - the green kind!
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
that's the good kind ;-))
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
wet glass will dull a blade... sharpen often!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dry glass isn't much better for the blade. Lol..
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

You're probably right, but danged if I'm going to take the blade off to sharpen very often.  I never sharpened the blade on my old mower, just replaced it once when I hit a bigass rock
Photo of Tom_Stolze

Tom_Stolze

• 326 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We sharpen twice/year, at the beginning then the middle.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Well I wouldn't even have to discuss sharpening the blade - IF I HAD A NEW BLADE!!!

As in, the one we're all waiting for

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Well. Guess what. Have fun mowing with a dull blade.. hint. It doesn't work so well. And this is not your old mowerror. This blade needs lots of attention. That all the maintenance you have to do for it. It's a pretty good tradeoff. I Sharpen mine every 2 hrs of mowing. Just a quick edge touch up. Night and day difference
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Lol. We are both butchering English today
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

No. I was making fun of you lol
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ugh. I c now. Mowerror
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I thought you "created" a new word for us Jacob.

Mowerror = means error in the way you mow your grass
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I have a hard time cutting my glass
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Lol
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bloomz, if you're mulching your grass the high lift blade will likely make the situation worse. If your grass is overgrown and wet, you might need to change to bagging for the first cut until it's under control, in which case the HL blade would likely help. ;-)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Actually Blue - I'm just hoping it will help to suck the leaves up...I know I should have bagged today but there was too damn much grass!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Then you would have to bag it or side discharge it because you can have the lift of a jet engine but if there isn't any were for it to go, no suction is created.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Here's my 2 bits.
High, damp grass is the biggest challenge we can face, especially if damp leaves are mixed in. Unfortunately, I don't think a high lift blade would have made a big diff under those conditions. I would rake up the damp leaves first, then cut on high, then cut again a notch lower, bagging all the way. I would only mulch in dry conditions when not cutting move than 1" of the grass blade. Also, best to rake up those leaves as soon as possible in the fall so that they don't smother the grass over winter. I am interested to see how the high lift blade performs for bagging purposes but I am really looking forward to a new improved 21" mower that can mulch as well as the original 20". Maybe next year?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Steve, I learn this lesson the hard way.  The farthest corner of my yard behind my two (2) huge river birches, where the leaves accumulated last Fall killed my sod completely.  I was too lazy to pick up those leaves and now have to reseed that area or put down new sod.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Well, the good news is now you get to grow some nice new grass to nurture to maturity. Good luck.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree, Steve. Last year the first mow of the year was a bear because it was so rainy I wasn't able to mow the first time until the grass was way too tall, and it was still damp from rain the previous day. I went through battery charges like crazy. And I know I was trying to cut too much for that first cut.

The experts say you shouldn't cut more than a third of the length of the grass blades. If you've got a shaggy lawn, much less one that's wet, you need to set the deck higher.

And as far as sharpening the blade, I don't think you need to sharpen as often as Jacob does, but you probably ought to touch it up every month or so. With an Ego mower you don't really even need to take the blade off to do it because you can stand the mower up on end.

This is the sharpener I use: https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50603-Mower-Blade-Sharpener/dp/B00VTO5N2G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,132 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Any opinions on the Dremel blade sharpener ?  That is what I picked up over the winter and was planning on using.  A new endeavor for me as I have never sharpened a mower blade before, but after reading suggestions here, I figured it was time I started.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I've never used the Dremel sharpener but it would probably be great for this.

Ego's blades do seem to be made of a softer metal than some other blades, and they're relatively dull right out of the box. Sharpening them up even a little bit makes a big difference. And the sharpener I linked to above is really easy. You just draw it down each side of the blade a few times and you're good to go.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Okay you guys convinced me and I'm going to buy that one that can recommended. Thank y'all
Not having to remove the blade makes the whole difference
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Be sure to let us know how it works for you. I know you can use files and all kinds of other means of sharpening the blade, but I do like not having to take the blade off every time I want to give it a touch-up.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

• 2,250 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Ken: Do you have much of a concern for not checking the balancing of the blade? I'm all about making things easier and would rather NOT have to take the blade off. I'm probably soon due to my very sharpening but I haven't yet decided on a method.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

Ken: Do you have much of a concern for not checking the balancing of the blade? I'm all about making things easier and would rather NOT have to take the blade off. I'm probably soon due to my very sharpening but I haven't yet decided on a method.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I haven't found it to be an issue. I give the blade a good sharpening at the beginning of the season and maybe again halfway through the season, and I check the balance then. For touch-ups, I try to do the same number of passes on each end of the blade. But honestly, these touch-ups remove so little material that any imbalance would be minor.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Brad,

FYI, I just use the finger across the middle.  If it stays balanced, good enough for me.  Been going that all of my life without a problem.  And I have to do a lot of grinding to my blades at times because of all of the small stuff it grinds up.  :).  In the spring it sometimes sounds like a chipper/vac under there.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Any significant imbalance in the blade will result in vibration from the mower. If it's running smooth you're good to go. Check the balance every 2-3 sharpenings or so, unless you've taken a ton of material off to straighten out a gouge.
Photo of Brad Carey

Brad Carey

Thanks for the tips, you all. Regardless of whether or not I take the blade off, it's going to be much easier and quicker than sharpening my reel mower. I had to take the wheels off, swap the gears, put on the grinding compound, put it back together, run it round for 10-15 min, then do the process again minus any additional compound.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

What a pain in the reel.

Yuk yuk.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

OK we've established that sharpening helps, but steering the topic drift back on course.....

WHERE IS THAT DAMN HIGH LIFT BLADE, EGO??????????

HELLO?  ANYBODY HOME???

To reiterate - this is ridiculous.

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We hear you loud and clear. Until this blade is available in North America, we are closing this thread. Thank you for all of your feedback.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.