First impression of the Cultivator attachment for the power head

• Praise
  • Updated 2 months ago
So I had the power head and was looking for other attachments for it.  I decided upon the cultivator, since reviews had been positive and I had a use.  Well I had a use, but probably not for what it is intended.  I have a little over a 1/2 acre in the Western Sierra Mnts.  Prior to me purchasing this property about 5 yrs. ago, a new engineered septic system was installed.  This system required 10 short leach lines.  On each line, there is a vertical 4" riser that I assume is for maintenance in the future.  Between each riser is a mound of dirt, creating all these mounds and valley's of 8-12".  For 5 years I've looked at these and wished they were not there and confounded that they would have left it like that when they were done.  I live in essentially a forest area, so not much formal landscaping is done.

Well I received the cultivator today and decided I had to try it out.  I actually had my doubts, but what the heck. I was pleasantly surprised that it worked as well as it did.  However it was still a lot of work.  Using 1- 5 AH battery, I took the ridges down of 3 of the lines (about 20' long) about 3", til the battery was exhausted.  I'm not sure I could do much more, though I have plenty of batteries.  I'm in good shape for 67, but still it is work and I'm retired.

The surface was pretty hard and there were rocks as big as 3" diam, but it worked really well, loosening everything up so that I could rake it down into the valleys.  It would bounce a little on the first pass, but then you could feel it dig in.   I'm sure that it really helps that we have had some rain and snow recently.  If I waited for summer or fall, it might be a totally different story.

I'll try to get some pics the next time and I'll probably need to throw up some string lines to actually tell what I'm doing, but I had to try it out and so far it get's a thumbs up.
Photo of Mark

Mark

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 83,354 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Great review. Thanks for reviewing it. I've noticed it also does a better job if you pull the cultivator instead of pushing it. 
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 20,928 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's the same recommendation with another brand tiller I have. This cultivator is heavier and does a much better job than I expected. Have had lots of use with it.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your review, in the coming weeks ahead - my next purchase will be the cultivator  attachment. Have large tree rings and long patches of dirt between shrubs that always require a lot of weeding. Having this attachment will certainly serve its purpose.  Currently have a BD cultivator - the action is like an egg beater. Works ok but needs the digging action to be more effective.      
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 20,928 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Warbird, I have the BD and Scotts cultivators; both excellent based on its design, but the EGO is superior and closer to my Mantis, but that's gas powered.
Photo of Warbird 2007

Warbird 2007

• 1,846 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Agree William, I have enough gas machines and happy with them, going more into battery power but will pick and choose what to get next. Thanks for your input.   
(Edited)