First EGO cut with 20" steel deck LM2022SP 9,000 plus SF

• Praise
  • Updated 3 months ago
I have 10,000 sf of grass to cut and purchased the newer 20" steel deck ego mower.  It came with a 7.5Ah battery of which I have not received yet, so I thought I would charge up the 5Ah battery and give it a go.  I cut my side and back yard around 10am on a Sunday morning, so the grass was little wet in places.  Due to our hot summer, some of the lawn is pretty thinned out right now, but over half of it was very long since we had rain earlier in the week.  I would estimate that I was cutting off 3 plus inches on the one half of lawn.  

I was able to get through all of the back and side yard, which is a little over 9,000 SF, on the 5Ah battery!  I was shocked.  It definitely does not seem like it has the power of my gas mower, but I think a lot of that is due to the low sound giving me the impression that nothing is going on under the deck lol.  Runtime was 50 minutes to cut that amount.  My prior mower was 30" toro, so I am losing some time going to the smaller deck, but I have say it was walk in the park since the EGO is so light.  

I'll post a picture of the underside of the deck that I took after the cut, and it was very clean, especially since the grass was a little damp in areas.  I think I will be able to get all of my lawn cut with the 7.5Ah battery.  If not, I may return it for the dual 5Ah battery mower, but I am not sure I want to give up the side discharge and traditional front.

Looking forward to using the 7.5Ah battery and will post some overall thoughts on quality of cut and such, after I have used a few times.  
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 804 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken

Photo of Ken

Ken

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 3,468 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Oh, and Swooning over these solar panels. Can I ask how much they generate? We're thinking, but I can't get a handle on how many we need. The numbers I get from the calculators are all over the board.
Photo of Ken

Ken

We had them installed a few years ago, it is a 8.67kW system, 34 panels.  The production has been pretty spot on after using the avg sun times for our area and the size of panels in the calculation.  It was designed to produce 80% of our need since that was the maximum allowed with the utility rebate at the time, but it is closer to 90+% now after updating our AC with a more efficient model and changing over to LED lights throughout the house.  
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Oh! great!! Thank you. So, when they designed it for 80% then you had a demand of around 11kw too. The big question for us is we have a well pump, and a 3 ton geothermal system, so I wasn't sure how big a system we needed to generate enough to handle that load. Otherwise we are already LED (thank god for the new softer color bulbs. We were living on a runway when we first early switched) and all the appliances are E star. Thanks so much for the info! off to play with the calculators again.
Photo of Ken

Ken

I had about 4 years of history on my electrical use so I just went off the history and did not have to calculate any specific uses or appliances. At the time, there was a large utility rebate so it made the decision pretty easy at the time.
Photo of Ken

Ken

Photo of Ken

Ken

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

That is great to hear! I was really hoping it would go well. And remember, if the 7.5 doesn't do the whole thing, (it will, I'm almost positive) no need to return it for the dual. Just pop on the 5 amp to finish up. Not sure if that pretty place you have gets regular snow. But if so, you might think about getting the snowblower kit, it comes with two 5ers. Then you'll always have more power ready then you'll ever need. Happy Ego-ing!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 51,484 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you're happy with your mower, I'd recommend keeping it even if the 7.5Ah battery won't last for your entire yard. You have two batteries, so you can always swap in the 5Ah to finish the job.

That's what I have to do sometimes when the grass is really growing like crazy and a bit damp. And by the time I'm done the first battery has recharged and ready for the trimmer. That's the advantage of the rapid charger.