Extended Warranty for Ego Mower through Home Depot

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I bought my mower with the 5ah battery today and LOVE it. I understand the EGO warranty. Is it worth extending the EGO warranty an additional 3 years through Home Depot for $80 ? Thank you
Photo of JoeH576

JoeH576

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • happy

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I have no experience with the HD warranty, but am generally of the opinion that third party warranties are bad based on what I've read about non-oem "extended" warranties on used cars.

I would read up on all the fine print and see if you can get someone from HD to clarify any grey areas.

Does anyone here have any direct experience with HD warranties?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I don't but never feel they have any value. Not worth the hassle and then some 3rd party company makes money on your "deposit" as they bank the deposit and bank on you losing your paper work! :)
Better to take that money and invest it. :)

(Edited)
Photo of twiteroo

twiteroo

• 1,874 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If they are HD warranties I would trust it, if they are 3rd party I would not.

HD has service centers in many areas apparently where they actually service EGO products, and maybe others. (How else we can service them I dont know)
Photo of Dane Earley

Dane Earley

• 622 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I looked at the Home Depot website to read some info about the extended warranty to see if it was their own or the popular Fair Trade warranty service. It doesn't appear to be Fair Trade. The Home Depot extended warranty looks pretty good. I've never purchased a Home Depot extended warranty but have bought extended warranties at Sam's Club who uses Fair Trade. I'm a Sam's Club Plus member so I get a fourth year on a three year warranty. I recently bought a Sun Joe pressure washer at Sam's and that 4 year warranty was just $15 which was an easy sell for me, 10% of the price for the pressure washer.

http://www.homedepot.com/c/The_Home_D...
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,740 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
(Edited: upon further investigation this extended warranty offered by HD is actually managed by a third party. So I'm staying away)

I almost never purchase extended warranties, but, since EGO battery powered mowers use a relatively new technology I was investigating the plan offered by Home Depot. What worries me is that in the fine print they list items that are considered "preventative maintenance" and batteries are one of them. The PM items have a 30% reimbursement up to $500. I'm sure this section was written around gasoline powered mowers.

I'm just wondering if someone knows if the batteries on a battery powered mower are considered PM or covered fully under the 3-year extended warranty? I talked to two different people on the phone and got two different answers.

Thanks,

Mike
(Edited)