European High Lift Blade

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Planned
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

High Lift Blade I found here

http://www.egopowerplusuk.com/accessories/ab2001-high-lift-mower-blade.html

But it doesn't list my model, which is I believe newest SP LM2102SP

Do they use different mower designation numbers in the UK?

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,510 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Possibly, but it doesn't much matter since the high-lift blade isn't available in the U.S. or Canada.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Unless it went out of business with BREXIT I think they still have the Royal Mail..lol
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Good luck finding someone to ship it to the U.S. Ego's UK website won't, and so far I haven't found any third-party etailers who will.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm guessing no one wants to deal with the time and expense of exporting something so cheap. If only someone knew a person over there who could buy a case and ship them to the US!

Pretty soon an Amazon or eBay seller will figure out how to import them in bulk to sell in the US with free or at least cheap domestic shipping. I know an Amazon seller who just started direct importing in bulk from China. I'll see if he has any interest in something like this. Should be enough initial demand to get a positive ROI pretty quickly.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Good idea! I wonder if there's euro resellers that would? I don't understand why anyone puts the kibosh on this when it's an obvious and common problem for many of us. It sounds like several returns have occurred because of lack of mulching and lift ability.
Just sayin'
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I have a magnolia tree that drops leaves every single day, all year round.
I use this as a leaf vacuum when lawn was recently mowed, but find I have to rake leaves to the surface or they won't pick up.
Luxury first world problem I know, but Ego needs to address this to remain the market leader.
If they don't di it...somebody else will.
Why euro and not US?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I traded emails with a gardening etailer in the UK a couple of weeks ago. They said they wouldn't ship an attachment for Ego's leaf blower because the cost of the shipping would be more than the item. If the buyer is willing to pay it (and we're not talking about a lot of money here) I don't know what difference it makes to the seller.

But I agree with Davis: Eventually someone on eBay will wise up.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

here's a picture and I AM gonna figure out a way to get one of these.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0758/6333/products/high_lift_blade_86008304-b88a-4034-8b03-67b162b7...

(Edited)
Photo of Matt

Matt

• 1,072 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled high lift blade as a optional buy?.

please look a creating high lift blade to create more vaccum cleaner cut also for leaf mulching.
Photo of Dan

Dan

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
A high lift blade would address the only glaring issue I have with this mower.
Photo of Ben

Ben

• 568 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I just logged on to address the fact that this mower has zero lift and I find this.  I wonder if one of my colleagues in the UK could help me out.

If I can secure a supply channel anyone interested in a group buy?
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ben, let us know!
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Count me in!
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Sell on Amazon! I would love to get my hands on one of these blades.

(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I'm definitely in for one if the delivered cost is $30 or less.
Photo of eric_t

eric_t

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would buy one.
Photo of Dan Rackham

Dan Rackham

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd buy one for the 21" mower
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

And me for the 20"
Photo of Ben

Ben

Dave they are going to cost $25 USD just to purchase one and ship it within the UK then shipping across the pond and shipping domestically.  So I could not see them being less than $40 end of day and that is really without me getting anything out of the deal.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

That's a bit steep for me, I'll just blow the leaves into a neighbor's yard.

I think to make it worthwhile you'd have to do a bulk buy to get them to the US. Paying shipping three times alone is going to cost more than the blade, even without any markup along the way.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Ahh, David.  I love your style brotha.   Like a good Neighbor......
Photo of Ben

Ben

Just so everyone knows I am talking to a few co-workers and I can for sure order them and get them to our office there.  Working out the shipping them to the US part.
Photo of Wrog

Wrog

• 2,832 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

If they fit my LM2100, I would buy one or two.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Im talking to a few buddies in europe now too about it. It would probably be more like 40 or 50 to get it here. Im going to have them sell it on ebay. Ill update when i find out more.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

20" version please! :-)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

The 21" will fit the 20" deck I bet! LOL :)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

It won't. A true 20" blade would be too wide.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I tried the 21" blade on the 20" mower. Doesnt work. You have to cut it down a bit. Then mulching is bad cuz the lift wings are too far out.
Photo of Ben

Ben

Yeah I came to the same conclusion on the price Jacob.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We’re listening! I’m happy to let the community know that the EGO “High Lift Blade” (official name to be determined) will be available on TheHomeDepot.com on or around Jan 1, 2017. I won’t bore the community with the intricacies of listing and stocking a new item, but please know that this is the absolute earliest we can make it available. Thanks for your enthusiasm, interest and detailed reports. Our community continues to amaze us!

(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

And once again EGO listens to the community.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Guess it's a good thing no one actually had to order these blades in bulk overseas to sell in the US!

Next request: blower nozzle.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
is there a run-time reduction when using the HL blade?  increased noise?  some of each wouldn't deter me from using one.  just curious
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

In theory it should be some of both, but it's hard to say in reality.

If the higher lift reduces grass buildup, that could offset the additional power draw of the increased air resistance and actually increase runtime. But more than likely it will drain the battery a slight bit faster.

The motor is louder when it increases due to grass resistance, so it will probably also be a little louder with this blade under no load. And of course the increased wind noise.

At this time, we can confirm that there will be 10-15% reduction in run time with this high lift blade.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

that's no problem for me.  thanks, Jen.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Another good reason to use the 21" SP with this new "high-lift" blade, since you get the 7.5 Ah battery with it.  A little longer run time to compensate for the 10-15% reduction.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Absolutely David. I would imagine there are lots of people who don't use the whole battery to cut their lawn and could afford a little less efficiency in exchange for a little more lift.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Count me as one of those I can mow my front and back yards twice and one battery and use the blower with the same battery.
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm all for this 'high lift' blade as well. Maybe I can actually retire the gas mower from leaf clean-up duty.
Photo of Terry

Terry

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm all for this 'high lift' blade as well. Maybe I can actually retire the gas mower from leaf clean-up duty.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
If a 10-15% reduction in run time is the worst I can expect, then I'm totally fine with this (assuming the high-lift blade addresses the issues we've all been bitching about since the new SP mowers arrived).  Hoping the metal used isn't as soft as the current blades, too.  Having to sharpen my blade every few hours of cut time is getting ridiculous.  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

DJ, Ego says this blade is intended for bagging and discharge mowing. In those applications I would expect an improvement, fer sure.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Hmmm... well that's troubling. While I'd like to be able to pickup leaves in the fall via bagging, my bigger issue is mulching performance and roll over blades. So the high-lift blade doesn't mulch at all???!
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

It might be worth a try, but Ego is not advertising it as a mulching blade.

Here's a pic, model AB2101:
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hmm.  It doesn't look designed to mulch.  Looks more like a lift blade for bagging/discharge.  It is what it is.  Maybe your method of banging up the wings on the mulching blade is worth looking into.  Time for me to buy a vice.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Crap.  I think you're right.. this is clearly more akin to just a conventional blade, with the "airfoils" at the end providing the diagonal lift.  These blades won't mulch at all.

S@#t.  

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Cool info DJD, I've never seen that diagram.  Makes sense.  Interesting about the direction of the clippings on a mulching blade. 

I think my mulching performance may be affected by how many times I keep sharpening my blade and wearing it down.  I've gone a whole year with bi-weekly sharpenings.  I think I've shaved a half inch of width off of my blade.  LOL.

Ok, Ok.  I'll break down and get a few new blades!

Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Mulch schmulch - I just want it to pick up leaves and crap off the ground.  (well not crap, really, but.....)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Trust me, you want to pick up any crap --before-- mowing the lawn. We have two dogs—I learned this the hard way.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

With the extra lift the blade should produce more lift vacuum but not if you have the deck in the high position and no grass around it it form a "seal". Another idea I had along with the mulching template I am working on is to add a flexible rubber skirt to enhance the sealing around the base of the mower deck.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

I like to see a picture of your creation when your are done. What name will you give this redesigned EGO lawn mower?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

EGO 2100SP Exrace Edition
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

NICE !!!!!!
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I am thinking instead of rubber use some nylon/ploy skirting filaments like you see on trucks to knock down water spray.

You see this material used on computer room raised floor grommets too.

(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

ummm, wasn't Jan 1 a couple months ago now?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Wonder how much of this blade is sharpened? That alone is what makes a blade mulch better. I honed my standard 3way blades mulching edge to be as sharp as the outer edges. That does help!
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

The high-lift blade is not a mulching blade - at all.  Therefore, no matter how sharp it is, it won't improve the mulching because it doesn't mulch.  Sharpening your blade razor sharp will improve your cut, though!  ;)

If you try to mulch with a high-lift blade with the mulch plug in, you'll end up with loads of windrows.  
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

Ahhh...next idea...Ego Hay Bailer Attachment. You drag that behind and bail the clippings to feed your live stock!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

At this pace, you need to create a color catalog with all your inventions for the EGO products. Put me on your mailing list, as I like to be the first to receive this ... LOL!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ex, I was wondering the same thing, whether sharpening the length of the blade would add some mulching ability?
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

If you look at the dual Honda blades the secondary blade does just that the blades are stacked when mounted. I have put more of a edge on mine and it looks to help.

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Exrace - Did you do a legitimate comparison, cutting a similar height of grass before and after the mod?  I might try this as well.  I'm supposed to receive a blade sharpener kit from Amazon tomorrow.  
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I will try that next cutting this coming weekend.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Are you talking about sharpening the whole length of the blade?

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Most of it anyway, within a few inches of the center.

Just as an experiment.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I would think that blade speed near the center would be too low to preclude decent grass cutting, eh?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yeah, at some point towards the center the blade wouldn't be moving fast enough to cut, but that high lift blade appears to have a fairly short cutting edge compared to mulching blades which usually have a much longer cutting edge.

I'm skeptical it will mulch well, but it might be worth a try. We'll find out soon!
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

According to the differences illustrated in the diagram I posted earlier, the high-lift blade will not mulch at all - and I doubt sharpening more of the edge will change that. I look forward to your results though!
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,412 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hello, question

When I check the UK website  for the high lift blade http://www.egopowerplusuk.com/accessories/ab2001-high-lift-mower-blade.html  the model is AB2001

I check homedepot.com website and it list the AB2001 but from the pictures it dosnt look like the realy high lift blade...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in-Mower-Blade-AB2100/206626003
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

That's the standard blade. If you read Jennifer's announcement above, the high-lift blade won't be available in the U.S. until early next year.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

I did read it, it's just that they have the same model number, it can confuse us.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

On second look at your links, the first is for a blade for the 20-inch mower and the second is for the 21-inch blade (hence the 20 and 21 in the model numbers).

I think Jennifer said in one of the threads that the 20-in high-lift blade isn't coming to the U.S.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ken, I believe you're right, just the 21".
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Unless you wanted to file at least about 3/8" off of both sides to fit inside a 20" deck... that wouldn't really be any crazier than trying to change the angle of the fin on your mulching blade to try and get more lift!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Mcklain, you are likely confused that both are listed as "AB2001".   that's not the entire description, however.  the high lift blade is still a "AB2001", BUT it includes the descriptor "High Lift".   Hope that helps.
(Edited)
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

W/E.  Usually a model number is unique and should not be used for 2 different models.   Description never has priority over model numbers.  Anyways, I know its not the high lift blade.  But you can see the confusing here.

Hi guys, I think you're confusing the numbers.  AB2000 is the standard blade for the 20" mower.  This is true for both the US and UK versions.  AB2001 is the high-lift blade in the UK.  AB2100 is the standard blade for the 21" mower.  This is true for both the US and UK versions. AB2101 is the high-lift blade in the UK.  The high-lift blades end with a -01 while the standard blades end with a -00.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan Marakowski, Jr.

Dan Marakowski, Jr.

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Any update on this? Still coming out Jan 1, 2017??
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

It probably won't come out on a holiday, which is a Sunday to boot.

The blade will be released early in 2017, by the spring mowing season I'm sure.

Ken is correct. It won't be January 1st. It will be available in early 2017. I will confirm when we get closer to a confirmed date of availability.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

bummer, but then again, my grass grows very slowly this time of year (NorCal).  this blade is anticipated with cautious optimism.  My two biggest complaints re: the mower is lack of good mulching and lack of vacuuming ability.  The HL blade should solve one of those issues, I'm told.

On a more positive note: Cutting quality with a very sharp blade is adequate, and I love the variable speeds, compared to the 3 fixed speeds of my trusty Honda Harmony (sold to a luck guy following my Ego mower purchase).
(Edited)
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 2,012 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
the lift blade is not for mulching....
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Yeah, I know.
Photo of Harry

Harry

• 2,802 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Jennifer,

It's now February and the high lift blade isn't on the HD website yet. Any update on availability?

No update yet. I will keep you all posted when it becomes available. Technically, it's not the right season yet but it should be available in the coming months.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

It's the "right" season in Calif.   I've already mowed 3 times in the Bay Area.  :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

And I say BOOOOOOOOO to you and your warm wonderful weather. I prefer the miserable cold (NOT)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Yes, we have awesome weather, but it's the ONLY aspect of this area that I like.  It is FILTHY here, and the politics are insane.  Every place has it's good and bad points...
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

While I am ready for yard work, as I enjoy it.  This miserably mild winter will mean the bugs this year will be bad.  It's a catch 22.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Just do what I did. Get a Mega Catch mosquito trap. It's Fricken insane how many mosquitoes it catches. In one week I caught a pan 8" diameter x 3" thick of compacted, dried up mosquitoes. It uses water to trap them. And the water evaporated so they were a solid piece. Look it up. 900.00 usd for no mosquitoes. I'll take that deal any day.
Photo of Dan Marakowski, Jr.

Dan Marakowski, Jr.

• 360 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's almost lawn cutting season here in the north east! Any update on the release of this blade?

Still looking at spring for this blade. A reminder that this blade is intended for improved bagging, not mulching. I will post the official sale date as soon as it's confirmed. Plan on March or April, for now.
Photo of Nathan Lewis

Nathan Lewis

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
What do you expect it to do for mulching, if anything?  Will it at least lift the grass better, if not cut into smaller pieces?  
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Nathan Lewis: it won't do anything for mulching, as in - it won't mulch at all.  It's not designed to mulch - the airfoil design is meant to blow clippings up into the deck and be channeled out of the back.  If you use it with the mulch plug in, you'll just get huge mounds of windrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windrow
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Yes, we know from repeated comments from both Ego and users, that the HL blade isn't going to turn the mower into a great mulcher.  But if it can at least greatly improve vacuuming up detritus on lawns, that will be a step in the right direction.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

That's what I'm hoping for...just a little bit of lift so I don't have to rake leaves to the surface before chopping them up.

Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Will it be available in Home Depot Canada as well?

Yes it will. I don't have the price or exact date but it is currently confirmed to be available with Home Depot Canada as well this year.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
From Amazon US:
EGO Power+ AB2101 21" Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for POWER+ 56V Lawn Mower Models LM2100/LM2100SP/LM2101/LM2102SP
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC      
$21.99

Release date: Thursday, April 20, 2017
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

They already removed that link.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Wow... gotta be quick!

(a)Typical Engineer

Yes removed (a while back), but the point was the RELEASE DATE: 04/20/2017
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

By then I will already have mowed my grass at least 12 times.  Do to the lack of suction using the stock Ego blade , there is (after 5 mowings) a lot of blown-in twigs and Italian Cyprus "needles" laying all over my back lawn. This would be a non-issue with my previous mowers.  Ego needs to step it up.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I agree, doesn't first of the year usually mean first of the year?  WTH?

I'm wishing it would dry out enuf here in Oregon to mow my lawn, but when it does I'd sure like to have that lift blade for same reasons as Dave, leaves everywhere.

I have a magnolia tree that is a royal pain in the....

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

There is a huge magnolia tree behind us, and some of it overhangs my yard.  Lots of hard cones or whatever they are called, land in the lawn.  I try not to run over them with the Ego, as it sounds like it's going to explode when it hits one. 
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Fingers tapping holding breath waiting for the High Lift Blade.

Should I breathe?

Photo of Harry

Harry

Earlier in this thread, Jennifer of Ego posted:  "I’m happy to let the community know that the EGO “High Lift Blade” (official name to be determined) will be available on TheHomeDepot.com on or around Jan 1, 2017. "

Then it became "early in 2017". Now it's April 2017.

What is so hard about getting a product that is already being sold in Europe available in the USA?

I wish the Ego rep would explain in simple English why there is this unacceptable delay. Ego, your credibility on this and mower repair has gone down the toilet months ago.

As I've stated many times, good product but really lousy support system. That's why I'll not be buying any more Ego products. They simply cannot support them properly and timely.

Photo of Harry

Harry

Earlier in this thread, Jennifer of Ego posted:  "I’m happy to let the community know that the EGO “High Lift Blade” (official name to be determined) will be available on TheHomeDepot.com on or around Jan 1, 2017. "

Then it became "early in 2017". Now it's April 2017.

What is so hard about getting a product that is already being sold in Europe available in the USA?

I wish the Ego rep would explain in simple English why there is this unacceptable delay. Ego, your credibility on this and mower repair has gone down the toilet months ago.

As I've stated many times, good product but really lousy support system. That's why I'll not be buying any more Ego products. They simply cannot support them properly and timely.

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

It is odd that a money making item hasn't found its way here yet. There has to be some red tape from regulations. Has to be. No company would in their right mind delay making money. I understand the frustration. Perhaps an explanation is in order.
Photo of Nathan Lewis

Nathan Lewis

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I understand that getting an item stocked at Home Depot (.com) could be a bit of a challenge but I'm more curious why it isn't at least sold by Ego but distributed by Amazon on Amazon's website.

(a)Typical Engineer

EGO Power+ AB2101 21" Lawn Mower High Lift Blade for POWER+ 56V Lawn Mower Models LM2100/LM2100SP/LM2101/LM2102SP

Amazon US: Release date: Thursday, April 20, 2017

Note: don't bother clicking on the link above, you won't find it; that order was placed
February 22, 2017.

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,272 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Guys, we are doing our absolute best to get this to you asap! Unfortunately, this is not something that Jennifer or I can control, but we’re definitely passing along all of your enthusiasm and concerns. Please be patient and understand that we will make an announcement the very moment they become available.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Thank you Amber, but this is mowing season.....

Until we have the sale date for this blade, we are going to close this thread and re-open when it's for sale in North America. We hear you all very loud and clear.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.