Electric chainsaw and safety gear

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

Is this Power+ saw safe with normal chainsaw safety gear? There is a big warning on the gear: 

"WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAINSAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chainsaws because of their constant high torque."

Photo of A

A

• 70 Points

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Yes, the warning sounds a little more scary than we intended. Standard safety gear - closed toe shoes, safety goggles and long pants - should be sufficient when using the EGO Power+ chain saw.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Between the original warning regarding chainsaw chaps vs. long pants; the original was more appropriate.  Any long pants that are not designed as PPE (personnel protective equipment) specifically for chainsaw operations will provide marginal protection over no pants at all.  Granted, having jeans or any thick material pants would be better than bare skin, but no by much.

My concern with the above revised statement ("long pants") is that a lay person might take that as appropriate and endorsed safety gear.

Photo of Stacy Kontrabecki

Stacy Kontrabecki

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I, too, am looking for chainsaw chaps suitable for use with electric chainsaws. Please advise.
Photo of Alex H.

Alex H.

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Seems like Chaps, with long pants could provide moderately more protection than no chaps. However, the chaps will not stop the chainsaw like they will with traditional chainsaws. 

I did a lot of research on this prior to buying the chainsaw, and the concensus I came to is that it's lighter weight will hopefully make it easier to use and cause fewer mistakes to happen. With that said, EXTRA caution should be used when using an electric chainsaw over traditional chainsaws and PPE. 
Photo of Stacy Kontrabecki

Stacy Kontrabecki

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My eGo saw is still in the box after buying  it several weeks ago. I want to purchase leg protection. Still waiting for details from corporate on this. A colleague (fellow arborist) who runs a newer Stihl electric with a safety work-around that now stops the sprocket with standard chainsaw chaps recommends Kevlar since the eGo appears not to have this same protection. I'm looking for a statement about engineering and real safety gear from the manufacturer. "Long pants" alone seems ridiculous.

- homeowner (and MA licensed forester #311)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
“newer Stihl electric with a safety work-around that now stops the sprocket with standard chainsaw chaps“

Can you please explain this “work-around” and how it makes the chainsaw safer to use with standard chainsaw chaps?
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 67,812 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Although EGO does not recommend a specific brand, we do advise wearing chainsaw chaps or cut-resistant pants.

(a)Typical Engineer

Amber, will you be updating the official response to reflect the above clarification?
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,318 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you are careful, you shouldn't need to dress up like a cop in full riot gear...

(a)Typical Engineer

To apply an applicable motorcycle axiom, you dress for the crash, not the ride. Nobody sets out to gets chainsaw (self) massacred... =). The best safety gear is the area between you ears, but that can be negatively affected by fatigue.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 18,318 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If I was wielding a powerful 24" gas CS, I'd be more concerned with a wayward chain.  The 14CS is much wimpier.  "suit" yourself re: safety gear.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,966 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
2 seconds of searching, first result. electric chainsaw vs chaps. https://youtu.be/_uZQZBALVTc