Ego's limited pairings (battery/product combos) are stopping me from buying more products.

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
I need both a snow blower and a leaf blower, but I already have a 7.5 Ah battery so the existing bundle options don't make any sense for me. I either have to buy 5 Ah batteries, which limit the utility of my existing battery investment with the snowblower, or I have to buy bare tools and spend a fortune on an additional 7.5 Ah battery -- not getting any combo discount -- to match my earlier investment and get maximal runtime.

Ego has provided vague guidance that they will release additional battery combinations for the snow blower, but without any answer as to whether they'll offer a blower + single 7.5 Ah battery kit, I am left in a state of paralysis because I have no idea what my options are. And if they don't offer such a kit, I will be forced to spend hundreds more dollars on a 7.5 Ah battery to accommodate the poor economics of the bundles offered, which probably renders the whole thing a non-starter.

This is frustrating. I am a big fan of Ego, not only their hardware but also their service and attentiveness on these forums. But a result of these limited pairings is that even though they make two tools I very much need, I cannot buy either with confidence right now. I hope in the future Ego will be more clear about upcoming options, and more liberal in letting us pick and choose our battery/tool combinations.
Photo of Robby

Robby

• 752 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated but hopeful

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You don't need to buy an additional, expensive 7.5Ah battery unless you have OCD about the batteries in the snow blower being identical.

Buy the bare tool, then pick up a 5.0Ah battery from Amazon for $220. It hits the sweet spot between runtime and affordability.

With a 7.5 and 5.0 you'll get plenty of runtime on the snow blower, have a lighter battery for use on the leaf blower, and save yourself almost $200.

Ego can't be expected to offer every possible combination of tool and batteries, and I certainly don't see them selling the snow blower with only a single battery since it really needs two batteries to run.

There's only so much space on warehouse shelves.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I completely agree Ken.

I don't currently have a 4/5Ah battery and I really miss my 4.0 that I loaned out with my 20" mower. The 5.0Ah is probably the best and most versatile battery currently available, both relatively lightweight and compact for the amount of juice provided.

No doubt the 7.5Ah packs more juice, but it's overkill for most applications and not ideal to use for hours on end in the hand tools.
Photo of Robby

Robby

It's not about OCD; it's about maximal runtime at full power. My understanding is that the snow blower is pulling power from both batteries in parallel, which means pairing a 7.5 with a 5 not only misses out on 2.5 additional Ah from the 5, but cannot meaningfully use the last 2.5 Ah from the 7.5. That is a net difference of 1/3 the available electrical charge (10 Ah vs 15 Ah), and will absolutely translate into a difference in runtime. And I want time to spare. I don't want to cut it close when I have to clear my driveway and walkway before I leave for work at 5:30am.

I also disagree about the feasibility of offering more tool + battery combinations. Many available combinations, like the self propelled mower (which I love) aren't even stocked in stores to begin with. Worst case, Ego could offer discounted batteries by mail when you buy a bare tool.

If most people don't stress or care about such things, then maybe it doesn't make business sense to offer this. But I think it would make the Ego lineup more compelling, and it's certainly within the realm of possibility, and so I thought I'd voice my request for it.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I think there is some confusion here about the battery setup. The snowblower seems to behave as if all of the cells in both batteries are in one single battery. So a 2.5Ah with a 7.5Ah would run exactly the same as two 5.0Ah batteriesā€”and both perform like a single 10.0Ah battery.

So a 5.0Ah and a 7.5Ah will perform like a single 12.5Ah, versus a current maximum of 15.0Ah. So you would simply gain 20% more runtime for the extra expense of getting another 7.5Ah battery, but would give up the versatility of having a 5.0Ah.

FWIW, I don't see there ever being a big enough demand to justify Ego producing a blower kit with 7.5Ah battery. And while I have a blower that I occasionally use with my 7.5Ah battery, I wouldn't recommend this setup and will probably never use this combination again once I have another 4 or 5Ah battery that lasts longer than the 2.5Ah but for 50% less weight than the bulky 7.5Ah.

If you're going to buy a blower and 7.5Ah battery, go ahead and plan on needing a 5.0Ah in the near future too.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

But it never hurts to let Ego know there is some interest in different battery/tool combinations. And I have been an advocate for Ego offering a loyalty discount or incentive for buying additional tools and batteries since my first posts on this site.

Thanks for your post and suggestion, and I'm sure Ego will read it and factor it into future product offering decisions.
Photo of Robby

Robby

(Side note: my previous post should read "My understanding is that the snow blower is *not* pulling power from both batteries in parallel" -- hence the disadvantages of series that follow that sentence).

Thanks for that explanation, David. While I'd still prefer an additional 7.5 Ah battery, if an Ego engineer can chime in and confirm your understanding, I would feel much better about a 12.5 Ah setup.

Since Ego designed the snow blower to hold two batteries simultaneously, I assume that either it operates at a higher voltage than one battery's output (i.e. 112V instead of 56V), or it requires moreĀ current than a single battery can provide (i.e. C rating was the limiting factor). If it's the latter, then the batteries should be connected in parallel and what you say makes sense. However, the Ego manual states that people should use 4Ah or greater batteries, and if the batteries are connected in parallel, I don't understand why they would discourage a pairing like 7.5 + 2 if that's what people have. The obvious reason to discourage that would be if they were connected in series, rendering 5.5 Ah of the 7.5 unusable. But maybe they are just generally guiding people to use as big batteries as they can, or maybe the C rating isn't high enough for peak performance on their < 4 Ah batteries.
(Edited)
Photo of Robby

Robby

David, on further look I see two things in the manual that make me think you're correct. First, the specifications page says "56V DC," which implies that the batteries are wired in parallel. Second, it refers to "battery pack(s)" all over the place. The "(s)" makes me think it is possible to operate this machine with a single battery, which also would be possible if the batteries are wired in parallel and a single battery has sufficient C rating to run it.

So in light of this I believe I was mistaken when I thought 2.5 Ah of a 7.5 Ah battery would be wasted when paired with a 5 Ah battery.

I would still love to see more battery options, and a "loyalty discount" like you mention would be amazing, but I now feel much less concerned about wasted energy capacity in my situation. Thank you.
Photo of eric_t

eric_t

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Home Depot had a listing for backpack blower with 7.5 battery for $399. The listing appeared a few days ago but was taken down a couple of days afterwards. The listing was on the site but the availability was shown as online only and out of stock online. I called an asked Home Depot when this kit would become available and was told in about 3 weeks. That conversation was on Sep 5th, I think, so expect this kit to become available by end of September. I am interested in buying this kit as opposed to blower with 5Ah kit, because it would give me longer run time that I would need for fall cleanups. The additional weight of 7. 5 battery is probably not going to be a big issue in a backpack blower as opposed to hand-held tools. Also, 7.5 Ah battery is $379 standalone, so you would only be paying $20 for the blower itself.
Photo of Robby

Robby

@Eric Whoa, that's fantastic. I never saw that option at HD but I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled later this month. That would solve my problem completely. Thanks for the heads up.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If the snowblower functions the way the 21" lawnmower does, power draw per cell is the limiting factor in determining max power. If the tool's immediate wattage requirement exceeds the battery's (or combined batteries') then performance is limited. And if the power draw remains high enough for long enough then the batteries themselves shut off power to protect the cells. The 1000w lawnmower performs much better with a 7.5Ah battery than a 2.5Ah battery.

More cells means more wattage available at any given moment, as the load is divided between more cells. The recommended 5Ah x2 setup divides the workload among 4 banks of 7 cells. Adding a 5th (i.e. a 7.5Ah with a 5.0Ah) may help reduce overload shutoff to protect cells from discharging too fast if the power draw remains elevated for an extended period, but likely won't improve peak performance.

I suspect that Ego's recommendation not to use batteries smaller than 4.0Ah indicates that performance is diminished when less than 4 banks of cells are providing the power, so a single 7.5Ah battery may work, but with a similar reduction in performance as I see in my lawnmower when using a 2.5Ah battery. Under light loads it's fine, but under moderate loads it struggles, and under heavy loads it starts shutting off to protect the cells.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
You mean banks of 14 cells, right? ;-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Oh, thanks for correcting me. I was working off [faulty] memory of the first battery teardown video. Can you tell I'm not an engineer?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Robby, the whole time I'm reading though this thread I'm thinking about the backpack blower with 7.5Ah option. I'm glad eric_t pointed it out. And for the record, at $399 it's only $20 more than paying for the overpriced 7.5Ah battery separately. :-)

As David Cline mentioned, the batteries do run in parallel. A 7.5 and a 5 will operate just like a 12.5Ah battery; they will drain down at the same time with the larger battery providing a proportionally higher amount of the power.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Back pack blower YES with a 7.5Ah or 5Ah...hand held leaf blower with 7.5Ah...definitely NO unless you have Superman wrists...just saying :-)