Ego vs Cobalt Mower

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
I was at my local Lows and saw the line of Cobalt mowers on the floor so I checked them out. understand this is not an evaluation but rather a quick overview of what i observed. the one mower that comes close to MY Ego is the 80 volt and while I am no engineer I could tell that the build quality is not up to that of the Ego. A quick walk around showed poor handle design being made of bent steal tube. it has two attachment points on the handle to unscrew and fold it. The handle adjustment appeared to have a few positions but that's not a big deal. The activation lever was connected to the mower deck by a very thin wire cable that I am sure over time would cause problems. I did not see a safety key or any type of safety device on the mower. The mower deck did not appear to be as substantial as the Ego but the Cobalt did have 7 height settings. Why one would need that number is beyond me. The main item I did not like was the battery compartment. To insert the battery you lift the lid then insert the battery horizontally. For a tall person this is gong to be a pain in the back. If more power is the only issue the Cobalt would win but is lacking in quality IMHO.
Photo of Big D Bill

Big D Bill

• 366 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for telling about it.  I haven't seen those.  I am so interested in battery mowers now since getting my EGO.  I am taking it to a plant festival where I will be selling plants so I can let others know about it.
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Sharon! We would love to see pics and/or video of you at the plant festival with your EGO tools!
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Big D Bill! Thank your for your review and praise of our EGO mower.
*Kobalt* mower's handle is vastly inferior to the EGO's design, and it's what made me choose EGO.