EGO Trimmer Line source

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I can't find the replacement line for the 12" cordless EGO trimmer.  I can find pre-wound spools but no bulk line.  I've tried other lines but they don't feed properly.  I love the EGO trimmer.  I would hate to have to buy replacement spools each time I need new line.  Any one have a source?  The line isn't listed on egopowerplus.com except tor the replacement spools.
Photo of Randolph Wells

Randolph Wells

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I picked up a package of Shakespeare Ugly Twist .80 line at Lowe's and it works very well with my 12" string trimmer.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm the exact opposite. The online line I've gotten to feed properly is from other brands.
Photo of Randolph Wells

Randolph Wells

Thanks, Tim and Ken!  I actually had some line from my old trimmer.  It will work but seems to get bound up in the spool.  I'm going to head to Lowe's and follow Tim's suggestion.

I appreciate your input!
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

What I have learned is that you don't want to wind the line too tightly and also use only 8 or 9 feet of line. The bump feed won't work properly if the line is wound too tight or there is too much line on the spool.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Tim,

it's amazing the different ways people have had to work around the bump feed problem.  I on the other hand also use about 8 or 9 feet, but found if I wind it tightly, it feeds better.  When I wind it loosely, the centrifugal force pulls the cord tight, if loose, and causes "tight spots" in the wind. 

At this point I don't know what advice to give.  Maybe spray the darned line with silicone lubricant?

Lastly, I don't really bump it, I do a hard push.  Seems to work better.  I've heard the self feeding ones work well, wish we had that feature. 

(Edited)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

You're right about different approaches. When I first bought my trimmer I was having difficulty and through research found that the Ego spools were wound too tightly at the factory. I rewound the line and it worked well after that.
Photo of Randolph Wells

Randolph Wells

It could be that my problem is rewinding the line.  The 8-9 ft. length could work better.  I'll try it.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

We like to call it the "EGO School of Winding".  Randoph, also try a push rather than a bump.
Photo of Randolph Wells

Randolph Wells

Ok then, push don't bump.  Will do.  Thanks.  And you can call me Randy.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Welcome aboard Randy.  FYI, it doesn't matter whether you see the Champion next to a persons name or not.  A lot of great people have solid advice.  I read all of it.  I think you will like some of the neat ideas that come across the forums. 
Photo of Randolph Wells

Randolph Wells

I'm sure I will like the neat ideas.  So far, I have the cordless trimmer and blower.  I really love the blower and trimmer.  Just have to get over the learning curve with the line.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I'm wondering if the tightness of the wind before binding occurs has anything to do with the profile of the line... in other words, would a smoother line with a more round profile allow tighter winding without binding?

From what I remember the 12" trimmer line has a pretty aggressive profile with lots of edges that would facilitate the line "grabbing itself" and not sliding smoothly.

The 15" trimmer line is a "bi-lobe" design, still twisted but maybe less aggressive than the 12" line? I don't know, but my 15" trimmer bump feeds like a champ.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Who Blue, that picture....  don't zoom it in like that.  It had me taking triple takes!  :O
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ha, it didn't look too bad before I cropped it!?!