Ego staff, please watch this video. This explains my concern perfectly.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

This guy has an absolutely gorgeous lawn but the mower couldn't do it justice for me reason only.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Legitimate question that would be great if there was any feedback on how to raise our decks any higher, whether through wheels or other means. 
Photo of Rob

Rob

Thanks for bringing it back up, Paul.  I honestly think it was ignored all of last week.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
The mowing height settings range from 1.5 to 3.5 inches, so we were surprised to see that the maximum height in the video review appears to be 3 inches. We do not recommend altering the mower in order to raise the cutting height beyond its highest setting. We’d like to thank you for your input and the detailed explanations of your specific cutting challenges. We would, of course, like to satisfy everyone in every circumstance; we have also received feedback that 1.5 inches isn’t short enough! Your suggestions have been forwarded to our product development team for consideration.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I'm surprised he said 3" also when the max height is 3.5" but in actuality, another .5" is needed for tall fescue.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
While I haven't measured the mower's cut height on a flat surface, do keep in mind that a yard is far from flat and 1/2" deviation from flat is probably reasonable; meaning if the cut height measures 3.5" on the mower, a ruler measuring grass height would be expected to see some variation above and below that amount depending where the measurement is taken.
Photo of Rob

Rob

There it is.  The Man with the answer.  Thanks

Well, I think you're a man anyhow.  If not, I'm sooooooooo sorry.  lol.

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,468 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
All man here, no worries!
Photo of Chad Pattan

Chad Pattan

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Just to contribute to this thread....

Cut height is subjective but it's also about what the grass "likes". Certain grass is perfectly fine being cut like a golf course which is what I think people are generally wanting (St. Augustine, for example). But other grass really needs to be cut no lower than 2" (fescue, rye).

Depending on the season and what's going on with the lawn, letting the grass grow higher is ideal. This is especially true when it's hot, because a thicker lawn will shade the soil and help to retain moisture. If you keep cutting it down to a golf course you're forced to use more water. In this day and age of droughts this isn't a good idea.

I usually keep mine at about 2.5 - 3" (fescue/rye/bluegrass) unless I'm overseeding, which is the only time I cut down to 2". Going any lower than that effectively scalps the lawn and kills the grass.

Allyn gave credit for the ease of lifting the mower so take that strong feedback. He's just saying that there's room to go just a bit higher, especially given Blue Angel's feedback above.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
All the engineers have to do is revise the screw down adjustment plate.  Add another notch and move the top and bottom ones a bit.  Problem solved.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.