EGO ST1521S Carbon Split Shaft Grass Trimmer Questions

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
This is my second season with my ST1502SF and I really like it. I have a chance to hand this down and pick up the subject trimmer. I know all of the positives but any negatives?

Reading many reviews I have seen a few say the auto-load takes longer to load than manual load. Couple have said the last of the old string gets trapped in the trimmer head and you have to take it apart to remove it. Anyone else have this issue?

Other things I heard are poor battery life. Will life be any different than my 1502?

Power, some said it is underpowered. Any different than the 1502?

And lastly, does the string rotate the same as the 1502?

Thanks,

Mike
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,058 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,928 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
1. It’s pretty fast at winding. I suppose you could do it faster if you tried?

2. I haven’t had an issue with string getting stuck inside.

3. I can’t see why battery life would be any different, unless you’re playing with the auto load all the time. I’ve never exhausted a battery in one go (smaller yard) so I’m not sure.

4. Power seems the same as my ST1500, but to be honest I’ve not pushed it super hard.

5. String rotation is the same.

The only major downside I can think of is the reduced speed range (starts at a higher minimum speed), but that’s compared to the ST1500. I think the ST1502 has a narrower speed range as well, I haven’t used it.

Hope that helps.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 49,844 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I've been using my carbon fiber trimmer all season with few complaints so far.

I haven't had to reload it yet since the string I use (Husqvarna Titanium Force) is very tough, and I don't tend to beat it against concrete. But I would say string load times with either trimmer are not a concern. The auto-load head will load 12-15 feet of string in a little more than 10 seconds. You might be able to beat it by hand, but you'd have to really work to do so.

I usually use the 2.5 Ah battery for the lightness. Run time has been fine for me, even when I'm tackling the jungle along the fence in my backyard.

Like Blue, I don't like what Ego did with the variable-speed trigger. The range of speeds is much more restricted with this trimmer, starting at about half speed rather than slow. Apparently this was done to address customers who complained their trimmers didn't start quickly enough.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 63,326 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Blue and Ken covered all of your questions.  I will just add it has been working great for me. 

Only complaint is the string has not run out so I have not been able to use the power load feature a second time yet. :)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Thanks for the replies. 

At this time I decided to keep my 1502.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Oops....update, ended up buying the ST1521S carbon shaft trimmer! Will try it out soon and see how it compares to the 1502. If it cuts the same I'll be happy.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,732 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Even if it only cuts the same, you’ll look much cooler with that CF shaft! :-)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Yeah, and I'll have to try playing with that auto string winder tonight. Although, like others, I bought some Husqvarna Titanium ForceTM Trimmer Line and only need to bump the head 2-3 times for my whole yard.

Mike
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Tried the new trimmer out when I got home. I’m a gadget person so, WOW, the auto feed feature is worth the price of admission. I’ll probable only add a couple feet of line at a time so I can play with it more ( just kidding). The reduced weight of the shaft is also positively noticeable.

Mike
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 32,582 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Mike, surprisingly, the carbon fiber trimmer is 7 oz heavier (by my scale) than the aluminum shaft one. I know! I have them both and the cf one does feel lighter. I think what does it for me is I don't feel as much vibration to the handle when I'm using it. The cf must absorb the vibrations better.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

OMG - looks like I exaggerated about the weight, sorry. But, does seem lighter in operation.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

OK - used both trimmers today and the carbon shaft felt lighter again. As commented above probably mostly due to stiffness and weight balance, but, I had to weigh them and found without a battery the AL shaft trimmer was 7.9# and the CF was 7.5#. Not much different especially if you include the battery.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Interesting that you found your Al trimmer to be heavier than the CF and I got the opposite result. Maybe it's the rapid reload head on yours. Mine is the original 15" trimmer so no rapid reload to add a bit more weight.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 160,732 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I was thinking the same. My ST1500 with the original bump head feels lighter to me, however I haven’t weighed it to find out. Mine’s the straight shaft, too, so no knuckle to add weight.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Bottom line I guess is they are about the same weight. Add about 3# for the battery and even my weights are within 3-4%. 

Ha, was just thinking my older trimmer definitely has more old dried grass stuck on it. Need to clean and re-weigh it. 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

Last night I cut the back lawn. I found out where the extra weight on my aluminum shafted trimmer was coming from. I completely forgot I have the shoulder strap on it. The weights are now equivalent are far as I can measure.

Mike
Photo of dhau001

dhau001

• 1,908 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Takes longer to put the string through the head than it is to auto wind it up.  Winding takes less than 20 seconds for sure.

Battery seems to last forever on my 40x100 city lot.  2.5ah battery can get 2 rounds of trimming and powerhead edging done. 

Powerwise, starts off irritatingly powerful before it slows down with the hard to control variable switch.  In terms of raw power, it gets the job done.  I rarely use it full throttle since its quite destructive.  Sends rocks and debris everywhere, especially against my legs.  Pretty sure the power in both models are the same. 
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

I've used my new carbon trimmer several times now. I really like it except the throttle (pot?) seems to have a dead spot at the low end speed. I find I only need low speed for my trimming needs. On the 1502 I could pull the trigger to get it going and then reduce the speed to where I wanted it and keep trimming. With the 1521 using the same process the trimmer constantly stops on me.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Mike
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

Ooo, I will have to check this out on mine after we get home next week. I tend to run wide open so haven't even checked at the slow end. 
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 31,256 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have both the original 15" split-shaft trimmer and the new carbon fiber trimmer as well.  That said; the original trimmer has the "variable speed" trigger while the new trimmer "kinda" does.  I too have the same experience with the new trimmer in that I can only throlled it down half way to reduce the speed.  Any lower than that and the trimmer shuts off.  For me, I always use maximum speed for trimming so this was not an issue for me.  However, I can see this being an issue for others.  Maybe the next generation trimmers will bring back the "variable speed" trigger like the original trimmer ...
(Edited)
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

I was thinking of making a block to put under the throttle to limit the speed.

These trimmers have much more power than my previous gas'r and with all the lawn decorations my with has I can't run the EGO on high.