EGO snowblower

• Question
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am considering buying an EGO snowblower. I have one concern after reading reviews on CR. Two people complained that the unit overheats in 3 minutes. Can anyone give me their thoughts about this ?
Photo of 7

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 10,010 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Negative reports such as this are very rare no matter what forum. I checked CR and 8 out of 10 people give the EGO snowblower a positive review (4 or 5 out of 5 stars). Of the two negative complaints, one person is complaining the height isn't adjustable and only one is complaining about it overheating (and then claiming his/her son experienced the same thing). HD offers a 90 day return policy, so if by slim chance your EGO is defective that pretty much gives you the bulk of a winter season to return the snow blower. I wouldn't let a few negative reviews prevent me from buying this snow blower nor should you.

If I was to rank this snow blower on CR, among single-stage snow blowers it's a 5 out of 5 stars. If you include all snow blowers it's a 3.5 out of 5 stars. Just like a gas single-stage snow blower, a battery single-stage snow blower priced at $400-$800 isn't going to be that competitive against a larger dual-stage or three-stage snow blower priced at $800-$2500. 
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,372 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Never had that happen, but recommend waiting for the season so you are still with in a return window.  Although they have a great warranty. 
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Firsthand opinion; performance is beyond belief or my expectations. Worked flawlessly removing 15" this past Winter. Did not big down when it was wet or dry. I live in Winston-Salem, NC and we don't generally get lots of snow, but based on that weather forecast, I ordered it a few days beforehand and happy I did.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This was my first winter with the Ego snow blower, and it was the snowiest February on record in Iowa and we had a lot of storms overall. The snow blower handled everything I encountered (biggest single snow was about 12 inches, so I can't speak for deeper blizzards), and I never encountered any overheating.

If only one person complained about overheating I would guess they had a defective unit.

I agree with holding off on your purchase. For one thing, you're not likely to find one in stock this time of year. But you also don't know when Ego might introduce a new or revised model, which they wouldn't do until later this fall.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 10,268 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Minnesnowta here. We have had the snowblower for 3 seasons now and this past year it plowed through record dumps even for us, including blowing in below zero weather.  The blower rocks as long as you know it is not self-propelled, so it can take some effort heading up hills. (We are all clamoring for an SP version.  Hope they make it happen.) We blow over 500 ft of gravel drive with it.  If anything was going it overheat it, that would.  
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,720 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
St Paul Mn here. The snow blower is better then shoveling. I've had it for 3 winters I think now.

In my opinion of you stay in your own driveway you're fine. If you have any significant snow fall pushing/pulling it in the street to say a sidewalk or neighbors house gets old quick.

It gets old if you have any grades to push up. Still better then shoveling but if I was to do it again I'd buy something else. Like all my other EGO stuff though. Backpack blower, power head with edger and line trimmer, and EGO power station.

I would wait until winter in case you want to return it.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian Bullock

Brian Bullock

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've had mine 3 seasons now and haven't had any problems with the batteries at all. Overall I'm happy with it
Photo of Brandon Finn

Brandon Finn

• 60 Points
Hi Brian.  Wanted to see if you’re still seeing full life from your batteries.  I have to say, after looking at the price of the replacement batteries (because my mower will need a new battery next summer because the last one died after a few years) their life is my biggest concern...if I pay $600 - 700+ for a snowblower (with batteries) and have to replace the batteries in 3 or 4 years for close to what I paid for the entire unit (e.g., snowblower with batteries), that just seems ridiculous to me.  I would rather smell like gas every time I snow blow then pay $600+ every 3 to 4 years for something where a gas unit would probably last much longer than the batteries.  Thoughts?
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Brandon, I'm asking completely out of ignorance because I don't own any sort of snowblower, but how much would one spend in gasoline, oil, and maybe a spark plug and filter in 3 years of ownership? I don't know where you live, so let's use the national average of $2.61/gallon. Not sure how much a qt of oil is these days or how many might be needed for 3 years of ownership.
Add in intangibles such as either draining the snowblower each year so gas doesn't go stale (or a tangible fuel stabilizer), emissions into the atmosphere, higher decibel levels and maybe the up front cost of a battery or 2 isn't as bad as it seems compared to 3 years (or more) of all those other things needed to run a gas powered snowblower. 
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,588 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think the price of gas for the snowblower is negligible. I suspect when I owned a gas snowblower I didn't pay more than $50 a year for a whole season of snow blowing. The cost will be more in the form of maintenance like oil changes (money if someone else does it, time if you do it). If the batteries do die under a 5 year I'm not sure anyone could justify the costs except for personal reasons such as I can't stand from a gas engine the noise, vibration, and fumes.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,196 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Over 3 years with my mower and the original battery is still going strong.  Several professionals have posted on here about batteries still operating well after 3 or more years. Good charging practices can help extend the life of batteries.  So expect 5 - 10 years from my batteries.

That said, I do not think you can justify an Ego purchase based on cost savings.  I bought mine for convenience and enjoyable use.
would testing cells and buying replacement, then paying an electronic shop to weld them would be a way to keep old batteries going? i was considering this option, but i dont know if it can be done.
Photo of Elizabeth Street

Elizabeth Street

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We generally have heavy, wet snow in northeastern Wisconsin.  We've used it for two seasons.  We just have a small property and it is far preferable to a gas-powered machine, in my opinion.  The only thing I don't like is the bottom guide/flat black piece under the auger is plastic and it sometimes gets hung up on uneven pavement, etc.
i had no overheating problems so far. This thing is very powerful.
i think its better to use only the required auger speed and to let go of trigger when its not needed. it takes less than a second to spin back to speed.
i dont think you will ever get overheating problems if you do that.
Also, make sure you use at least 2x4ah batteries. im using 2x7.5, which i think is adequate for this kind of task.
id also like to mention that i have been talking to people saying very bad stuff about ego products, claiming they have been owning them for years and they dont like it at all, calling it 'sh*t'.
I have discussed with those people, and i have come to the conclusion that they are lying about it, that they probably are bias towards a competitor, such as toro.
So, im not saying ego products have no problems, just advising to be careful about some critics that you are reading on internet.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,930 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
yeah, I started a whole "sham complaint" thread a while back pointing out the tells of fake "egoists." they almost always put in a plug for another brand, or won't hear any fixes for their "problems" even when it is super simple.  they just come back with another complaint about something else.  There are also the folks who post backhanded compliments, sounds like a nice comment, but then always mentions how some other brand or tech might be better, or they make something sound like an issue, just by speculating it might not work, even though it does just fine.  sigh..It is tiring.  
Are you guys rating the 5.0 or the 7.5 model battery models?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,132 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
In regards to the snow blower the only difference between 2) 5.0 and 2) 7.5 batteries should be run time.  Power should be the same or very similar with that much battery power on board.